william h krumpen
  IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Re: oil
Reply #61 - 04/14/13 at 15:35:10

bill67 wrote on 04/14/13 at 15:27:15:
Ok I was wrong on that. But that is Amsoil reports

That is true and I am not an Amsoil fan. They do make good oil but it is too expensive and I do not care for their MLM way of selling oil. And they are deceptive in their marketing.

But their test is a good way to gage where others are compared to every one else. And the other brands do not contest their findings.

And if you will look at the test closely, Lucas shered out of grade and failed the gear wear test.

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #62 - 04/15/13 at 06:26:35

rfw2003 wrote on 04/14/13 at 13:59:24:
I could have sworn someone on here called Lucus and they said NOT TO USE their oils in motorcycles with wet clutches.  I can't seem to find the post atm, but I do remember that in one of our oil discussions.

R.F.

It was not Lucas Oil that should not be used in wet clutches.....it was their ZDDP additive. I emailed Lucas when I was breaking in a new cam and they said their ZDDP additive should not be used as it has some frinction modifiers in it that are not compatible with a wet clutch.  I have no idea if their oils have it as well.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #63 - 04/15/13 at 07:10:36

Hey, cut Bill a break, Bill just very much wants me to be wrong for once.   Wink

Folks have brought up Lucas products before and got themselves educated by BobIsTheOilGuy reports on those same Lucas products.

Here, chew on this BITOG thread a bit -- the cheese is nice and stringy on this one -- it spends 9 pages talking about what is actually in the Lucas Oil Stabilizer.   And yes, I have said repeatedly "Do not use Lucas Oil Stabilizer -- it will mess your clutch up".   There are 9 pages to this war and the conclusion is (oh, go read it).

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=19763...

Here is what Lucas oil stabilizer adds to your oil.  Not much other than a quart of very high viscosity (plasticizer type) clear oil brightstock.  A super heavy weight straight oil grade, right out of the barrel, no additives to speak of other than what is in it accidentally.   It adds nothing to your oil other than clingy stringy thickness (and in our bike that's BAD NEWS for your clutch).   Since it brings nothing to the party, it actually acts to dilute your normal oil's add packages.

Lucas Oil Stabilizer Virgin Oil Analysis
(all items not listed were at 0.00 PPM)
TBN - 0.1
Visc - 615.3
FP - 435
Calcium - 3
Magnesium - 1
Phosphorus - 4
Zinc - 2

So, how much money has Lucas made over the years telling people that this stuff is worth something, I dunno.   In our bikes it would be worth certain CLUTCH DEATH, so that is all we need to know about it.

« Last Edit: 04/16/13 at 18:41:38 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #64 - 04/15/13 at 07:20:46

Now, if Wheels want to tell us exactly what Lucas 20w50 product Reilly auto parts sold him on super sale for $9 a quart we can tell him what's in it.

We can compare it to Rotella T6 if you want.

(Betcha it loses on a variety of fronts, the first of which is that the Lucas is the wrong weight oil for the Savage engine.  Second will be it cost too much by almost 2x.)

But we can all go play some if you really want to -- we just need to know exactly which Lucas oil the boy got sold.

Smiley

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #65 - 04/15/13 at 09:31:52

Dave wrote on 04/15/13 at 06:26:35:
rfw2003 wrote on 04/14/13 at 13:59:24:
I could have sworn someone on here called Lucus and they said NOT TO USE their oils in motorcycles with wet clutches.  I can't seem to find the post atm, but I do remember that in one of our oil discussions.

R.F.

It was not Lucas Oil that should not be used in wet clutches.....it was their ZDDP additive. I emailed Lucas when I was breaking in a new cam and they said their ZDDP additive should not be used as it has some frinction modifiers in it that are not compatible with a wet clutch.  I have no idea if their oils have it as well.

O.K. Thank you for the correction I knew it was something Lucus but couldn't remember what.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #66 - 04/15/13 at 09:38:21

I have read a lot about Lucas additives on bitog and don't have any faith in any product they sell. They do great marketing though and many buy into it.

I don't ever remember buying an oil that needed stablizating. Cheesy

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #67 - 04/15/13 at 10:15:08

The backhoe started droppin oil pressure after warm up. It goes from 60+ to 14 once it hits about 160 or so degrees. I started dumping Lucas in, hoping it would help keep things slick when the prerssure drops &, because its so thick, I thot itd help,,

SO,
Am I screwin up my engine?

JUst wastin $$$$?

Or

IN my situation, its not a bad idea?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #68 - 04/15/13 at 15:11:25

rfw2003 wrote on 04/14/13 at 15:26:26:
bill67 wrote on 04/14/13 at 15:13:34:
What are Lucas motorcycles oil good for,Diesel engines?

For those motorcycles that don't use a wet clutch system. I know they are few and far between on those, but they do exist like alot of the HD's are a dry clutch system.

R.F.

Dry sump, yes. Dry clutch? Only if someone converted from the stock closed primary (with chain) to an aftermarket primary with belt. Stock HD clutches are wet, in a separate enclosure. Old HDs saw motor oil in the clutch housings, new ones do not. BIG TWINS, neither remember or care how XLs are set up.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #69 - 04/15/13 at 16:06:45

All the old Harley 74s I had had a dry clutch. There is oil in the primary but just enough for the chain and not the clutch.

I believe harley went to a wet clutch in 1984.5

The Sporster has a wet clutch. I don't know if thay always have had one. I have never owned a Sportster.

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #70 - 04/15/13 at 16:32:01

Both of my 36 ELs had wet clutches, my Pans had wet clutches, all 4 Shovels had wet clutches. Both generations of Shovel, flat side and not worth their weight in scrap metal nose cones.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #71 - 04/15/13 at 16:35:40

They might have had oil in there but it wasn't for the clutch. my 52, 64 69, 70 and 71 had dry clutches. The Harley manual says they are dry. Before 1965 they did not have a sealed primary.

I put a lot of miles on them with out adding any oil to the primary Shocked

I believe the 1936 EL had a total loss chain oiler with a drain hole in the primary cover.

http://www.harley-davidson-hangout.com/forum/hdrcgb-vintage-classic-era/72890...

http://books.google.com/books?id=PHJi1SFiICcC&pg=PA555&lpg=PA555&dq=does+a+19...

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #72 - 04/15/13 at 18:27:19

I had a Chevrolet S10 pickup with a manual transmission.  One of the gears (or bearings) started making noise under acceleration.  When I changed the oil in the transmission in an attempt to fix it....the replacement oil that Chevrolet required was like water....really thin.  The noise persisted......so I drained the oil back out and refilled it with Lucas Oil additive as recommended on the bottle.  The noise went away and the trans worked just fine.

In that instance the Lucas worked for me....but maybe just a thicker conventional gearbox oil would have done the trick.  I guess they wanted that thin stuff in there to satisfy the mpg requirments.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
wheelsoffreedom76
YaBB Newbies

Kansas
Reply #73 - 04/16/13 at 12:52:20

The product # I beleive on the oil I purchased is 10702. However the bottle is grey instead of white like the google search of the number shows. The JASO rating is MA-2 on mine, and some pictures of the white bottle product show just MA.
    The claim that lucas makes a motorcycle oil that is NOT wet clutch compatible is TRUE. The synthetic 10-40 JASO MB they offer is a motorcycle oil that specifically states not for wet clutch applications.
     As to the weight of the oil being wrong for the bike, I have always preferred a slightly heavier oil in worn engines (especially air cooled in Kansas).  
     I dont doubt there are even better oils to run than Lucas, I had a Oreilly gift card to spend and the oil was among the things I picked up. I have used other Lucas products and found them to do just fine.
     If I had bought this bike new and it was broke in, I'd likely be running Redline Synthetic in it. From what I've read it's pretty good. If there is something better let me know, as I plan to buy a new bike this year sometime, and it will only get the best.

06 S40
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #74 - 04/16/13 at 12:58:17

Klotz MX4 is the best oil you can get.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6