oil (Read 886 times)
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Re: oil
Reply #15 - 03/28/13 at 19:38:28

Shell RotellaT. It's what I use in both my bikes,my pre 1970 tractors and anything else with "pre-historic" flat tappet technology. It's kept my old junk alive this long....ain't changing now!

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
nateordie
YaBB Newbies

impossible is
nothing

Reply #16 - 03/28/13 at 23:40:02

is the rotella t6 oil a motorcycle specific oil?  I read some about it online and I'm only finding that it's for diesel vehicles. Is there a motorcycle specific type for the rotella oil or no?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #17 - 03/28/13 at 23:51:17

Have you read our owners manual?

Then take a look at the back of rotella T or T6.

WWW   IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #18 - 03/28/13 at 23:53:24

nateordie wrote on 03/28/13 at 23:40:02:
is the rotella t6 oil a motorcycle specific oil?  I read some about it online and I'm only finding that it's for diesel vehicles. Is there a motorcycle specific type for the rotella oil or no?

It does have the JASO MA rating printed right on the bottle, so yes it is great and o.k. for use in motorcycles with wet clutch systems.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #19 - 03/29/13 at 04:55:57

Except for the labeling, Rotella is exactly the oil needed for aircooled motors with unit transmissions and wet clutches.  Nothing is gained by using "motorcycle oil" instead of Rotella (dino or synth) in a Savage.  Your wallet will weigh a little less, though, so your 0-60 time will improve by 28 nanoseconds.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
nateordie
YaBB Newbies

impossible is
nothing

Reply #20 - 03/29/13 at 10:04:29

sounds good thanks for all your help!

IP Logged
houstonbofh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, TX
Reply #21 - 03/29/13 at 22:32:26

JASO-MA is "Real motorcycle oil."  That is the entire point of the spec.  So is JSAO-MA2, but it has less zzdp.

IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #22 - 03/30/13 at 05:52:47

houstonbofh wrote on 03/29/13 at 22:32:26:
JASO-MA is "Real motorcycle oil."  That is the entire point of the spec.  So is JSAO-MA2, but it has less zzdp.

I keep reading this about MA2. My Magic Google Fingers must be broken because I can't find a source. I even emailed the company I purchase my oil from to ask and have yet received a response. Can you (or anyone) point me in the right direction?

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #23 - 03/30/13 at 06:36:40

You want a JASO-MA 4T oil

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #24 - 03/30/13 at 06:51:24

Explain the rating to him, Bill.    What does the 4T stand for?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #25 - 03/30/13 at 07:02:27

4T = 4 stroke

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #26 - 03/30/13 at 07:05:12

I just spent another hour and a half with Google trying to find the difference between JASO MA and MA2. I cannot find an authoritative reference anywhere. From what I am gathering, if the oil meets both MA1 and MA2, the manufacturer can just put MA on the bottle. So we wouldn't know if it is MA2 or not. I also see where there is less catalytic converter harming stuff in MA2 but can find no reference to ZDDP anywhere.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #27 - 03/30/13 at 07:10:02

While we wait for Bill, here is the current JASO ratings listing system, fresh of a few months ago.

http://www.oilspecifications.org/articles/JASO_MA_JASO_MB.php

Note please that they have changed their nomenclature again, they have a JASO MA, JASO MA1, JASO MA2 and JASO MB in their nomenclature, with each classification carrying a separate meaning.

(Bill's 4T is a Mobil 1 advertising gimmick that carries no real meaning)

Note please, that none of the JASO MA group of standards have anything to do with ZDDP content -- they merely describe what the oil in question does when subjected to the JASO T 904:2006 clutch system friction test.

Remember always that the Savage engine has unique requirements that no longer fit the JASO categorizations very well.   We can no longer trust a JASO rating to tell us if an oil is good for the Savage or not, especially since they keep changing and multiplying their various standards.  

That is why we bother to keep a recommended oil listing in the Tech Section.

Plus, JASO has plumb gotten a little weird .....  and we know some games will be played by some oil makers using this particular statement.

If all three properties of a JASO MA oil fall within the limits specified as MA1 then the oil can be classified as a JASO MA1 oil. If all its properties fall within the limits of MA2 then it can be classified as a JASO MA2 oil. If some properties fall within the MA1 subcategory but others in MA2 then the product is simply a JASO MA product.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #28 - 03/30/13 at 07:28:23

I believe the MA ratings have nothing to do with ZDDP content. It has been mentioned on this site a few times that MA2 contains less and no one has ever disagreed so it must be true, right? Oldfeller states it as well: "JASO limits ZDDP to what, 1,000 PPM as a maximum number in MA2 (our old Savage requires 1,250 PPM as a minimum, going up to 1,850 PPM in some of the older oil products that were around when the bike came out." from http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1362678961/2#2 and this is adding to my confusion.

Now adding to my confusion is the statement that 4T is a Mobil1 gimmick. It is mentioned on the site OF linked to: http://www.oilspecifications.org/jaso.php. Is that a Mobil1 site?

I am confused by the statement made in our recommended oils post as well: "(we avoid JASO MA2 and JASO MB as they indicate oils that are NO GOOD for the Savage motorcycle)". Why are they no good? I get the MB spec being no good, but don't understand why the MA2 is no good.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #29 - 03/30/13 at 19:49:29

2T = 2 stroke
4T = 4 stroke
Wink

IP Logged