Send Topic Print
oil (Read 886 times)
nateordie
YaBB Newbies

impossible is
nothing

oil
03/28/13 at 13:56:42

I was reading up on the oil recommendations for the savage and I saw that there was a couple mobile one synthetics listed.  My question is: Is it special "motorcycle oil" or is it just the normal mobil one car oil?  And do any of those oils need the special ZDDP additive or are those synthetics good by themselves?  I have an 04 savage with 19,000 on the clock and I ride on the freeway often (only at 70mph) thanks.

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Re: oil
Reply #1 - 03/28/13 at 14:58:29

Never use automotive oil in your savage, most of them are not compatible with a wet clutch and cause massive clutch slippage issues.

The lowest cost oil that is easy to get pretty much everywhere in the U.S. and meets all the requirement without having to add any additives is Rotella T 15w40.  Yes it's a heavy duty engine oil that is normally used in diesel engines but it also works very well in our Savage engines, and meets all the requirements.  If you want a full syn that is all easy to get and low cost the Rotella T6 5w40 in the blue bottle is the way to go.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #2 - 03/28/13 at 15:40:16

I ain't say'n nut'n.........   Kiss

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #3 - 03/28/13 at 15:42:37

bill67 wrote on 03/28/13 at 15:14:12:
The last thing you want to do is use cheap oil in your investment.Premium oil is cheap insurance.

Bill, whats goin on ? Are you ok ? You must be tired of everyone pickin on you !  Grin

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
nateordie
YaBB Newbies

impossible is
nothing

Reply #4 - 03/28/13 at 16:29:35

bill67 wrote on 03/28/13 at 14:04:56:
Use only motorcycle oil.They are made for wet clutches and transmissions.

that's what I thought.  a red flag went up for me ha.  I've been using a semi synthetic blend but I'm gonna make a switch to the rotell or mobil one.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 03/28/13 at 16:42:41

How many million years you plannin on ridin it? Rotella T 15/40 is a great oil. It hasnt had the ZDDP taken out, cuz its advertised as a diesel oil & they dont have cataclysmic perverters,.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #6 - 03/28/13 at 16:49:16

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 03/28/13 at 16:42:41:
How many million years you plannin on ridin it? Rotella T 15/40 is a great oil. It hasnt had the ZDDP taken out, cuz its advertised as a diesel oil & they dont have cataclysmic perverters,.

Sorry, diesels have had cats since 1993, and now urea injection. Huh

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #7 - 03/28/13 at 17:02:08

I've got a 98 freightliner sitting in my driveway,  with a 500hp 12.7L detroit diesel in it,  it didn't come with a catalytic converter.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #8 - 03/28/13 at 17:05:02

Diesel cats are different compounds inside than gasoline cats. The last one we put on a Sterling version of the old Ford L8000 was $1100. The recycle yard paid almost $400 for the scrap one (probably why so many get stolen).

We used to run a semi-syn in Lisa's 800 Intruder, good old Castrol Syntech. Then they changed the formula... it isn't bike safe. If you are buying the so called bike specific from Spectro or Castrol, it's just car oil. I've talked to their reps way too many times to run either in a wet clutch air cooled.

And be leery of Bill, he seems to like cherry Kool-aid colored repackaged snowmobile oil for some odd reason.  Huh

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #9 - 03/28/13 at 17:05:02

Ok I got one for ya.....I got a 2002 LS650 Savage and don't know what oil is in it. The petcock went bonkers and filled up the airbox with gas, got new petcock and will install.
Should I change the oil because of the petcock failure? I'm planning on doing it anyway.....but here is the real question....
I bought regular dino motorcycle oil to put in it, I don't know if there is synthetic in it or not, will it hurt if synth is in it and I replace it with dino oil????

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #10 - 03/28/13 at 17:46:07

bill67 wrote on 03/28/13 at 15:14:12:
The last thing you want to do is use cheap oil in your investment.Premium oil is cheap insurance.

I'll tell ya something Bill,  I'm not gonna take the bait to get into yet another oil war with you.  Now if you can come up with a way to increase the oil sump capacity on the savage to make it actually worth using a premium brand syn oil to it's full potential, I will endorse the use of $12 or more per quart oil in it. Until then why don't ya just stay out of the rubber side down like your supposed to do, weren't you banned from this area?

R.F.

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #11 - 03/28/13 at 17:58:57

old_rider wrote:
Quote:
will it hurt if synth is in it and I replace it with dino oil????

I don't want to start any trouble, so I'm just gonna answer the question and run.

No, it won't hurt a thing.

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #12 - 03/28/13 at 18:06:11

oldNslow wrote on 03/28/13 at 17:58:57:
old_rider wrote:
Quote:
will it hurt if synth is in it and I replace it with dino oil????

I don't want to start any trouble, so I'm just gonna answer the question and run.

No, it won't hurt a thing.

Normally the change from syn to dino is no issue,  it's the change from a long time use of dino to syn that may cause some leaks at the seals.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #13 - 03/28/13 at 18:33:05

Oil!!!!....  Shocked Shocked Shocked...

I'm all better now... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 03/28/13 at 18:41:07

If youve had a thingy failure, change oil.. it costs almost nothing,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 12:25:10

General CategoryThe Cafe › oil

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.