Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Powder coat instead of paint (Read 272 times)
Rogue_Cheddar
Serious Thumper

Hang up the phone
and drive!

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Re: Powder coat instead of paint
Reply #15 - 04/02/13 at 08:56:38

I recently talked to a guy that runs a custom powdercoat shop up here in Derry New Hampshire. He does not recommend powder coat on long flat surfaces such as tanks and fenders as it tends to highlight orange peel effect, but is great on smaller or rounded parts like frames and brackets. Just my .02.    Cheesy

http://goodhues.net/index.html

'95 Red Savage. Oring grips and pegs, 30" Fishtail muffler,152.5 main, 1/3 spacer mod ,seat lift, Verslagy.
  IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Re: Powder coat instead of paint
Reply #16 - 04/02/13 at 19:22:57

engineer wrote on 03/28/13 at 16:50:56:
Someone please correct me if I am wrong about this because I have been out of the industry for many years and things change but powder coat doesn't have all the finishing options that paint does.  If you want a really incredible paint job with lots of depth, metal flake, what have you, powder coat can't do it.  

I will correct you.  You can do a metal flake large or small and depth.  I had my street fighter frame done in a heavy silver metal flake (small flake not '70s large flake) in a silver base and then they did a clear powder over that layer to give it some killer depth.  It looks grey in the shade but it explodes in the sun.  Now the clear is a second layer so they charge 50% more for that layer.  Total, frame, rims, and 48 misc items ran $800 - not cheap I won't argue that.

These pictures don't do it justice as you would need a close up of the frame to see it in a picture.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 17:29:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Powder coat instead of paint

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.