Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Lost 3rd 4th and 5th Gear. (Read 535 times)
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Re: Lost 3rd 4th and 5th Gear.
Reply #15 - 04/03/13 at 17:34:01

srinath wrote on 04/03/13 at 17:07:07:
Yea I've received a savage with a bent shift linkage ... wont get out of 2nd the guy said. Yea it wont, cos it was hitting the foot peg 1/2 way in its travel if I recall.

You may have to make the right part ... use a thicker rod not the dinky original size and cut the right dia and pitch threads in it ... then paint it or otherwise make sure it doesn't corrorde @ the threads so you can adjust it without getting the threads weaker ...

Cool.
Srinath.

That's the plan when I start making them Srinath,  both in Stainless and Mild Steel for those that want to paint them.  I will use beefy 1/4" stock for making them.  My lathe will do both right and left hand threads, so the threading won't be an issue for me on making them.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #16 - 04/04/13 at 09:50:16

Don't waste time on mild steel. It is a critical enough part to use stainless or marine grade high tensile silicon bronze. Neither is any harder to paint than mild steel. Even 6061-T6 would be 100x better than the stock piece.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #17 - 04/04/13 at 11:06:01

WD wrote on 04/04/13 at 09:50:16:
Don't waste time on mild steel. It is a critical enough part to use stainless or marine grade high tensile silicon bronze. Neither is any harder to paint than mild steel. Even 6061-T6 would be 100x better than the stock piece.

Thanks for the advise.  I will ditch the idea of the mild steel for those that want to paint then. I was also just looking at my conversion tables and seems I was thinking wrong on size anyways,  I need to use either 5/16" or 3/8" stock as 1/4" is basically the same size as the stock rod to begin with. although with it being SS it would be much stiffer but better safe then sorry so I should make the step up to the larger stock.

As for the aluminum wouldn't that be just as likely to bend as the stock rod,  even with it being a bigger diameter rod?

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #18 - 04/04/13 at 11:27:45

When I built the rear brake rod for my Cafe'convsion I first used 1/4" stainless and cut 6mm threads on it.  The rod had too much flex at the offset bends that are needed to clear the muffler.  The next rod I used was 5/16" stainless and it stiffened things up quit a bit without looking too big.  I believe the 5/16" would be just fine.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #19 - 04/04/13 at 11:38:45

Dave wrote on 04/04/13 at 11:27:45:
When I built the rear brake rod for my Cafe'convsion I first used 1/4" stainless and cut 6mm threads on it.  The rod had too much flex at the offset bends that are needed to clear the muffler.  The next rod I used was 5/16" stainless and it stiffened things up quit a bit without looking too big.  I believe the 5/16" would be just fine.

Thanks Dave,  5/16" will be my target for the first batch of rods then.

R.F.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #20 - 04/04/13 at 12:34:01

6061-T6 is high grade. Boat and helicopter grade high grade. I worked at an aluminum foundry/mill years ago. Bending 5/16" solid stock would take more leverage than the shift lever could generate.

If you want indestructible, you're talking 52100 steel. Industrial roller/ball bearing material, but it's a nightmare to work with. Heat it wrong and it explodes. Weld on it without w/o annealing it, it explodes.

01 tool steel would be ideal, easily workable like cold rolled mild steel, but has an extremely high nickle content for corrosion resistance.

Don't expect good results if the rods you can source are 440C stainless, it's pretty soft. If you can find some 416 stock, it would be similar to 01, with even better corrosion resistance.

I play around with materials a lot, have a full traditional smithy on the farm...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #21 - 04/04/13 at 13:00:04

WD wrote on 04/04/13 at 12:34:01:
6061-T6 is high grade. Boat and helicopter grade high grade. I worked at an aluminum foundry/mill years ago. Bending 5/16" solid stock would take more leverage than the shift lever could generate.

If you want indestructible, you're talking 52100 steel. Industrial roller/ball bearing material, but it's a nightmare to work with. Heat it wrong and it explodes. Weld on it without w/o annealing it, it explodes.

01 tool steel would be ideal, easily workable like cold rolled mild steel, but has an extremely high nickle content for corrosion resistance.

Don't expect good results if the rods you can source are 440C stainless, it's pretty soft. If you can find some 416 stock, it would be similar to 01, with even better corrosion resistance.

I play around with materials a lot, have a full traditional smithy on the farm...

The steel place I use can get me just about anything I want.  I was considering using 316 marine grade stainless for the rods, but after looking up 416 I just might consider it as it has better machineability with similar corrosion resistance.

I will also consider doing the aluminum ones for those that want them in aluminum.  

The machine I have is very similar to the Smithy unit, but has higher spindle speeds available at the lathe part of the machine.  When I was searching for my machine I also considered the Smithy unit as well.

R.F.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #22 - 04/04/13 at 13:51:08

If you're making them ...  suggest you dont use a solid rod -
I'd use a pair of allen head bolts @ the 2 ends and a bit of pipe connecting them all welded together or something like crimped and welded or something like that. Pipe is stiffer than solid rod.
6061 Aluminum - with anything you have to tap the weakest point is where the threads start - that thread dia @ the ends is so small you'd easily have a situation if you're unlucky that it will end up breaking at that spot.
With a bolt in a pipe, you'd weld to the bolt head, so you're welding a thick strong location. Not tapping and stressing a thin location.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #23 - 04/04/13 at 13:52:15

I didn't mean the machine called smithy... coal forges and anvils. Bad phrasing on my part. Most of my shop equipment is ancient.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #24 - 04/04/13 at 13:54:43

WD wrote on 04/04/13 at 13:52:15:
I didn't mean the machine called smithy... coal forges and anvils. Bad phrasing on my part. Most of my shop equipment is ancient.

ahhh ok gotcha now

I just wish they made more machines in the U.S. still.  Even what used to be a good machine the Southbends are now made in china Sad  Most of the older U.S. machines don't do metric threading jobs to well so that's why I went with a newer machine, just sucks that there aren't any good U.S. made stuff out there anymore.

R.F.

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #25 - 04/04/13 at 14:53:45

srinath wrote on 04/04/13 at 13:51:08:
I'd use a pair of allen head bolts @ the 2 ends and a bit of pipe connecting them all welded together or something like crimped and welded or something like that. Pipe is stiffer than solid rod.
6061 Aluminum - with anything you have to tap the weakest point is where the threads start - that thread dia @ the ends is so small you'd easily have a situation if you're unlucky that it will end up breaking at that spot.
With a bolt in a pipe, you'd weld to the bolt head, so you're welding a thick strong location. Not tapping and stressing a thin location.

Cool.
Srinath.

On both materials I would do a slight taper for the transition from the threaded are to the solid rod area, to relieve the sudden weak area from the cut threads.  Even with machining the same size threads on a piece of bigger stock will make the whole part stronger as a whole, since the main issue with the shift rod is not breakage of the threads, but bending of the rod itself because it is to small in diameter for the job that it is supposed to be doing.

I also have plans for redoing the whole shift rod linkage period to a much better setup, but to do that I will need a spare set of levers both front and engine case side to do this with.  My plans are to make them easier to maintain the lubrication on them plus make the shift linkage smoother at the same time.  I can't do anything about the smoothness of the gear box itself, but I can make the shift linkage pretty much bulletproof.

R.F.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #26 - 04/04/13 at 18:54:04

I think this thread has been hijacked...........Where is the original fellow with the shifting problem?

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #27 - 04/04/13 at 19:10:51

Sorry,  I'll refrain from further posts about it in this thread.   Huh

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #28 - 04/05/13 at 02:52:13

rfw2003 wrote on 04/04/13 at 19:10:51:
Sorry,  I'll refrain from further posts about it in this thread.   Huh

No problem....we were just overthinking this a bit.  The stock rod works just fine for most of the bikes - and the stock rod appears to be under 6mm in size.....  Send me your address in a PM and I will maiil you some stainless rod I have left over from making the rear brake rod.  Let me konw the approximate lenght to cut it in so I can put it in a smaller package.....I don't have a stock rod to measure for length.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #29 - 04/05/13 at 10:05:51

rfw2003 wrote on 04/04/13 at 14:53:45:
srinath wrote on 04/04/13 at 13:51:08:

Cool.
Srinath.

On both materials I would do a slight taper for the transition from the threaded are to the solid rod area, to relieve the sudden weak area from the cut threads.  Even with machining the same size threads on a piece of bigger stock will make the whole part stronger as a whole, since the main issue with the shift rod is not breakage of the threads, but bending of the rod itself because it is to small in diameter for the job that it is supposed to be doing.

I also have plans for redoing the whole shift rod linkage period to a much better setup, but to do that I will need a spare set of levers both front and engine case side to do this with.  My plans are to make them easier to maintain the lubrication on them plus make the shift linkage smoother at the same time.  I can't do anything about the smoothness of the gear box itself, but I can make the shift linkage pretty much bulletproof.

R.F.

Actually there may be a way to make this cheaper and better. See machining is $$$, cutting threads is even more so, labor intensive, arm breaking work not to mention failure prone ... so your best bet is to use bolts in the ends. You can get those inexpensive and they can be hard as a rock, and if you break those in use, the end use can replace it cheap. The trick is to make it so it wont spin around when you're trying to install and adjust it.

My thought is - you get the bolts with allen heads in a good hard material. Get the same temper steel tube that fits tight on the bolt head. Drill them both side ways with a small size drill, like 1/16th or 3/32. Small. Then put in a tension pin. You're done. If they fail in regular use, the end user can get em out, pull the tension pin and replace the bolt.

Tapping steel even mild is arm breaking work, hardened - you're gonna need a few 1000 in tools. Acorn dies and possibly a serious machine made for tapping. Aluminum is better, but still will take up a lot of your time, and at the end be non user serviceable.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 13:32:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Lost 3rd 4th and 5th Gear.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.