Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Lost 3rd 4th and 5th Gear. (Read 535 times)
23Skidoo

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

UK
Lost 3rd 4th and 5th Gear.
03/28/13 at 01:48:05

Hi, I lost 3rd gear upwards on the way to work this morning.. Sounds a bit weird but when in 1st the lever feels almost if it's dropped a little (although that could be a bit sub concious) and I have some play between 1st and neutral 2nd is a bit tough then it won't go any higher..

Sorry for a bit of an open ended question, I'll have to get my local mechanic to look at it but a heads up might be handy...

Many Thanks

AJ

Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Lost 3rd 4th and 5th Gear.
Reply #1 - 03/28/13 at 02:47:26

The first thing I would check is the lubrication and movement of the external shifter and linkage.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #2 - 03/28/13 at 03:44:27

Can't diagnose or fix something like that without taking the engine apart.

IP Logged
23Skidoo

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

UK
Reply #3 - 03/28/13 at 04:07:33

Dave wrote on 03/28/13 at 02:47:26:
The first thing I would check is the lubrication and movement of the external shifter and linkage.

Will do, that did dawn on me as well...

Quote:

I know mate, to many factors... I'll have a better look after work if I can limp home in 2nd....

WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #4 - 03/28/13 at 07:17:47

I'd lay even money that your shift linkage bent. Really common failure on Savages, the factory part is barely worthy of being classed as pot metal. If that is all that happened, you can unscrew the rod, straighten it, and when you go to reassemble the unit, sleeve it with a piece of thick wall tubing.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 03/28/13 at 08:30:22

Cavi Mike wrote on 03/28/13 at 03:44:27:

Mr stealership intern?

Get down on your hands and knees and eyeball the thing.
The rod and threads should be straight.
And knicks or bends and the rod will break sooner or later.
The the operator on the shaft should be pointing straight down... more or less.
Now operate the thing
hitches in the getalong will affect shifting.
Does it stick or bind? adjust lube or bend

WWW   IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #6 - 03/28/13 at 11:04:49

I would get someone to sit on the bike and slowly rock it back and forth while I shift with my hand. This can help you feel the notches or lack of notches. It also lets you visually check to see if the shift lever is rotating on the splines without working the shift fork inside. Plus listening can give you a clue as well. Good luck.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #7 - 03/28/13 at 11:15:08

and if you get to only one gear, you will have single single Cheesy...hope it's just the linkage.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 03/28/13 at 13:33:42

Sounds a bit weird but when in 1st the lever feels almost if it's dropped a little.

Which is exactly how it would feel if the shifter rod looks like a rainbow.,
WD nailed it, problem and solution

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #9 - 03/28/13 at 14:18:08

I had the same problem shortly after I put my fwd controls on.

Now why did I have the issue you ask?  

I forgot to lube the shifter mount point and also because of this the shifter was harder to push and I bent my shifter rod.  So the solution was straightening the rod and lubing the post that the shifter is mounted on.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
newb_Jack
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 04/03/13 at 08:44:21

I just had this happen to me as well. Bent the shift rod. I can see that it has "rainbowed".

Do I need to put the bike on a jack to undo the rod, in order to bend it straight? Or can I just unscrew the rod with a wrench while the bike is on its side stand?

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #11 - 04/03/13 at 09:06:33

jackedmusic wrote on 04/03/13 at 08:44:21:
I just had this happen to me as well. Bent the shift rod. I can see that it has "rainbowed".

Do I need to put the bike on a jack to undo the rod, in order to bend it straight? Or can I just unscrew the rod with a wrench while the bike is on its side stand?

You can do it with the bike on the side stand. Be aware that one end of the rod has right hand threads, the other end left hand. Take the shift lever off the splined shaft that comes out of engine case, loosen the locknuts at each end of the rod and unscrew it.

After you get it straight, and back on. you can spin the rod in one direction or the other to adjust the hieght of the shifter to your liking before you tighten the locknuts.

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #12 - 04/03/13 at 09:23:55

Soon I will be making beefier sifter rods out of SS 1/4" round for those of you that want the shiny rods and mild steel for those of you that want to paint your rods to match the color of your bikes.  I will update in the market place when I have them available.  I will have them in stock length and also will make them to what ever length you need.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
newb_Jack
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 04/03/13 at 09:32:59

oldNslow wrote on 04/03/13 at 09:06:33:
You can do it with the bike on the side stand. Be aware that one end of the rod has right hand threads, the other end left hand. Take the shift lever off the splined shaft that comes out of engine case, loosen the locknuts at each end of the rod and unscrew it.

After you get it straight, and back on. you can spin the rod in one direction or the other to adjust the hieght of the shifter to your liking before you tighten the locknuts.

Excellent. Thank you!  Smiley

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #14 - 04/03/13 at 17:07:07

Yea I've received a savage with a bent shift linkage ... wont get out of 2nd the guy said. Yea it wont, cos it was hitting the foot peg 1/2 way in its travel if I recall.

You may have to make the right part ... use a thicker rod not the dinky original size and cut the right dia and pitch threads in it ... then paint it or otherwise make sure it doesn't corrorde @ the threads so you can adjust it without getting the threads weaker ...

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 13:36:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Lost 3rd 4th and 5th Gear.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.