Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Assembling the Super Thumper (Read 1104 times)
Super Thumper

2001 LS650 With 97mm
Big Bore Kit, Stage
III Cam.

Windsor, Vermont
Re: Assembling the Super Thumper
Reply #15 - 03/30/13 at 17:52:35

I have ridden an 88 4-speed Savage  in the past and you are right...the gear spacing is much better than the 5-speed especially the 3rd to 4th gear spacing. I have a tach on my 2001 Savage and the RPM drop from 3rd to 4th gear is only 500 RPM and the 4th gear to 5th gear RPM drop is only 250 RPM . This why I switched from the belt drive to a chain drive so I could tailor my cruising RPM's to better suit the engine's power band. I stock form it was turning 4000 RPM at 60 MPH. I thought this was a little high even for the stock engine...in stock form she has enough torque to pull 3500 RPM at 60 MPH easilly. I am using a 17 tooth front sprocket and a 43 tooth rear so my 60 MPH RPM will be about 3200. less stress on the engine and better MPG. It is disassembled right now for a top end high perf rebuild but I will post pics of the chain drive when I put it back together.

Live To Ride...Ride To Live
WWW   IP Logged
inglourioushoko
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 10/10/15 at 21:45:40

Can you please, please, PLEASE update this thread. I want to know everything there is to know about your build, especially about the big bore.

I'm really wanting to bore out my Savage, but as I'm in New Zealand, it's hard to commit to pulling my bike apart and shipping my head/cam across the world when I can't actually find any videos/ feedback about how these run when they are fully kitted out. Any information you have would be much appreciated.

Cheers Smiley

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #17 - 10/10/15 at 23:31:57

There was a guy Paul Marshall in Carterton in the Wairarapa who posted on this forum and had done the big bore thing. If you can search the membership list his many posts should be there somewhere, there was also a guy in Christchurch who supercharged a Savage/S40. You need to check whether the 97mm piston is still  available, some seem to think 95mm is the biggest you can get. Dunno where you are but try Googling Glendene engine reconditioners in Kelston, they work with a lot of racing engines and they seem to have a good reputation for boring and so on.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
inglourioushoko
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 10/11/15 at 01:13:58

Thank you so much for that! I'm looking into it now, cheers Smiley

IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #19 - 10/11/15 at 01:21:23

jcstokes wrote on 10/10/15 at 23:31:57:
There was a guy Paul Marshall in Carterton in the Wairarapa who posted on this forum and had done the big bore thing. If you can search the membership list his many posts should be there somewhere, there was also a guy in Christchurch who supercharged a Savage/S40. You need to check whether the 97mm piston is still  available, some seem to think 95mm is the biggest you can get. Dunno where you are but try Googling Glendene engine reconditioners in Kelston, they work with a lot of racing engines and they seem to have a good reputation for boring and so on.

Im still here just been busy with my new house.

IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #20 - 10/11/15 at 01:23:51

Plus a BMW R80/7 found me and have been restoring it. Smiley

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #21 - 10/11/15 at 01:33:06

Keep well Paulmarshall, hope you can help the Inglourious fellow.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #22 - 10/11/15 at 01:44:19

inglourioushoko wrote on 10/10/15 at 21:45:40:
Can you please, please, PLEASE update this thread. I want to know everything there is to know about your build, especially about the big bore.

I'm really wanting to bore out my Savage, but as I'm in New Zealand, it's hard to commit to pulling my bike apart and shipping my head/cam across the world when I can't actually find any videos/ feedback about how these run when they are fully kitted out. Any information you have would be much appreciated.

Cheers Smiley

Hi inglourioushoko I went to my local bike shop and they found my 97 Wiseco sent my barrel away to be bored and installed it for me. You should still be able to find a 97 in NZ. Start with your local bike shop.
What part of NZ are you in?

IP Logged
inglourioushoko
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 10/11/15 at 01:54:34

Cheers Paul! I'm in Auckland, but I'm pretty new to the whole customization/engine work game, so I barely know where to start. I've been in contact with Lancer, I'm thinking I might purchase the piston, carb etc from here and get the head bored here.

Now that the s40 is my secondary bike and it's off the road due an electrical problem, I'm super keen to pull it apart and see what I can do with it.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #24 - 10/11/15 at 04:50:50

The 95 and 96mm Wiseco is available - Wiseco no longer keeps the 97mm in stock, and only makes it when someone places a bulk order.  You may be lucky enough to find a leftover somewhere - but they are hard to find.

Lancer bought a the last few 97mm pistons that Wiseco had in stock, and he still has e a few of them for sale.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1436923466

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Super Thumper

2001 LS650 With 97mm
Big Bore Kit, Stage
III Cam.

Windsor, Vermont
Reply #25 - 10/11/15 at 09:11:28

94mm - 652cc - OEM stock bore diameter

95mm - 666cc - First overbore size

96mm - 680cc - Second overbore size

97mm 0 695cc - Third overbore size.

Beyond 97mm - such as 98mm - requires a larger cylinder sleeve and then there is the issue with the cylinder head to cylinder bore area...you will have the edge of the cylinder head and head gasket slightly protruding into the bore....this creates a hot spot that will cause detonation.....sooo bores larger than 97mm will require a custom head gasket a custom piston and some combustion chamber work by a qualified performance shop to re-shape this area.

Remember MOST of the power increase comes from the compression ratio increase from the stock 8.5/1 to the Wiseco piston's 10.5/1....Is it really worth spending the $$$ on the custom head gasket, 98mm piston and larger 98mm cylinder sleeve and head work for a few more HP than what you get with the readily available 97mm piston?

As far as cylinder head work is concerned the 650 savage has a pretty good intake port only needing some smoothing and carb flange size matching A.K.A. blueprinting.

The 650 Savage exhaust port is very poor....it only flows about 50% of what the intake port does. The stock exhaust port has an ugly, narrow, sharp casting edge where the exhaust gasket is. I open up and smooth out the exhaust port as much as can be done safely without weakening the cylinder head and I match the exhaust port exit to the exhaust pipe gasket to eliminate that turbulence area...

With the cylinder head work and a performance cam & a 38mm Lectron carb (.354) lift my engine pulls strong right up to 8000 RPM...I won't rev it any higher than that.

These engines are so mildly tuned by Suzuki that they respond very well to performance work.

the stock 650 Savage puts down 24 rear wheel HP...with these mods you can increase this to 48 rear wheel HP without too much effort.

1) High compression big bore kit
2) Better flowing exhaust system
3) Better camshaft
4) Improved air flow through the intake & exhaust ports
5) Improved carburetion....you will NEVER get good throttle response        
   or power from the OEM Mikuni BS40 CV carb.

The BS40 Mikuni carb Suzuki puts on these bikes was originally used by Harley Davidson on their 1980's 1000cc Iron head Sportsters and it is way too large a carb for our 652cc Savage engine.

The formula used by engine builders to determine carb size is available here.....

http://www.csgnetwork.com/cfmcalc.html

The stock 652cc Savage engine requires at MOST a 80 CFM carb for a highly modified engine.

The Mikuni BS40 carb that comes on our 650 Savage FLOWS 140 CFM....this is way too much carb for this engine size and results in  sluggish engine performance, poor throttle response & poor fuel economy.

Here are some CFM numbers for some popular Mikuni carb sizes ...........

33mm MIKUNI Carburetor 103 CFM
34mm MIKUNI Carburetor 109 CFM
35mm MIKUNI Carburetor 115 CFM
36mm MIKUNI Carburetor 119 CFM
38mm MIKUNI Carburetor 129 CFM
40mm MIKUNI carburetor 140 CFM

The smaller the carb the better the fuel economy, drive-ability, low-mid range torque and throttle response.

The larger the carb the better the high RPM performance.

There is always a trade-off here...you have to determine at what RPM your engine is going to operate MOST OF THE TIME !!

Street engines typically operate between 1500 and 5000 RPM so choose your carb size and engine modifications accordingly.

WWW   IP Logged
inglourioushoko
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 10/13/15 at 12:40:28

Thanks so much for the info everyone, huge help.

Does anyone have a link to any videos of a fully worked s40 running? Or to any threads regarding a completed build?

IP Logged
inglourioushoko
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #27 - 10/13/15 at 12:44:29

Also Super Thumper, did you finish this build? Would to see pictures etc.  Smiley

IP Logged
Super Thumper

2001 LS650 With 97mm
Big Bore Kit, Stage
III Cam.

Windsor, Vermont
Reply #28 - 10/14/15 at 09:38:14

My personal 2001 Suzuki LS650 is a fully built 97mm engine.

I will take some pics and post a short video soon.

WWW   IP Logged
Super Thumper

2001 LS650 With 97mm
Big Bore Kit, Stage
III Cam.

Windsor, Vermont
Reply #29 - 01/18/16 at 07:48:17

The camshaft is one we have Web Cams grind for us....it is a custom profile and makes some great mid-range power.  www.windsorcycles.com

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 16:29:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Assembling the Super Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.