Send Topic Print
500 Mile Mark!! (Read 118 times)
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
500 Mile Mark!!
03/27/13 at 12:28:46

What ever your opinion of the break in schedule for a new Savage my OCD prevents me from deviating from the written word. Grin I hit the 500 mile mark and, as you well know, allows me a top speed of 75 without guilt of offending the new engine spirits.

To celebrate I took to the freeway this morning on my way to work with images of bright sun, desert scenery whisking by and Peter Fonda on my wing. So, here's what really happened. The marine layer was down to about 50 feet and I was almost warm in my flannel lined riding jeans, fur lined gloves, thinsulate leather jacket and a twice wrapped wool scarf tucked into the helmet under my chin. All the vents on my helmet were closed but one and that was to clear the shield of moisture.

If you haven't been to Califonia recently then you have not experienced our wonderful freeway system. You can usually tell by the impacts and stresses upon your suspension which freeway you are on. I got on the 60 and it is called the 60 because that is how many miunutes it takes to get to the next off ramp.

Today was no exception, I made it half a mile before all lanes were creeping along. On top of that, it looked like a deck of cards being shuffled ahead of me as cars switched constantly from lane to lane to try to recover a few inches of the miles they lost in traffic.

I have to say that the Savage was nimble and quick in this situation, this was a main reason for choosing this bike and I was not disappointed. Later on the traffic did let up and I got about 5 miles of freeway speed before I hit my exit. This was followed by a trip through Carbon Canyon Road and I was in heaven the whole time. I can't imagine riding any other bike. Smiley

RIP!! 01/2012-09/2016 S40 Boulevard, Raptor Pet, Rotella T6 Synth, Verslavy CC Tensioner -- You left too soon.
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Re: 500 Mile Mark!!
Reply #1 - 03/27/13 at 17:51:00

Dane, my only concern is that you are doing some of your break in at what I assume are very low speeds in thick commuter traffic. While this may not hurt the bike there is a possibility it won't help, I feel it would be better if you can cruise in the 50 - 75 mph range with constant throttle variation and frequent use of the gearbox, this will run it in a little better.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #2 - 03/27/13 at 19:32:05

jcstokes wrote on 03/27/13 at 17:51:00:
Dane, my only concern is that you are doing some of your break in at what I assume are very low speeds in thick commuter traffic. While this may not hurt the bike there is a possibility it won't help, I feel it would be better if you can cruise in the 50 - 75 mph range with constant throttle variation and frequent use of the gearbox, this will run it in a little better.

Thank you for your response and that is a good point. I waited to hit 500 miles before going on the freeway because I would now be free to attain the new top speed of 75. If I move over to the carpool lane then I think I can maintain the higher speeds you suggest for most of the trip distance, would that help? Also, when you refer to using the gear box are you talking about alternating between 4th and 5th every few minutes or so? At what time intervals should I do this shifting?

RIP!! 01/2012-09/2016 S40 Boulevard, Raptor Pet, Rotella T6 Synth, Verslavy CC Tensioner -- You left too soon.
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #3 - 03/27/13 at 22:43:20

Ask they really techo people who know their stuff about the frequency of gear changing. All I know is that when running in a new engine it's better to have frequent rev variation rather than a steady cruise for mile upon mile. In some ways this is as bad as labouring a new engine at low speed.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #4 - 03/27/13 at 22:45:51

Handbook states you can go 55 in third and 70 in fourth between 500 and 1000 miles. Fifty and sixty five to be safe.

IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #5 - 03/28/13 at 16:16:39

jcstokes wrote on 03/27/13 at 22:45:51:
Handbook states you can go 55 in third and 70 in fourth between 500 and 1000 miles. Fifty and sixty five to be safe.

Thanks!! I am going to look around the forum for more specific tech advice.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #6 - 03/28/13 at 17:24:28

My dealer and mechanic told me to ride my brand new 98 the first couple thousand miles like I hated the bike. All these years later the engine still burns no oil, runs smoothly, can pull the front tire off the ground if I drop the clutch...

Whatever works. Went in for first service at 2 weeks ownership with 1200 and change on the odometer. Including a 2 up trip from Long Beach MS to Baton Rouge LA, in February, bought the bike 2/2/98.

The freeway traffic jams will be a good way to get your clutch cable break in stretch over with...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #7 - 03/28/13 at 17:29:09

The way I've always been taught to break in a motor, is to break it in like your gonna treat it for it's life basically.  So if your gonna run it hard, break it in running it hard,  if your gonna run it soft, break it in running it soft.  This has worked well for me over the years on all types of engines.  The only thing that I do carefully is the first few hours on a freshly built motor and that is the cam break in if it's not a roller cam, and after I do that I change the oil, then do as I just said for the rest of the motor break in.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #8 - 03/28/13 at 19:46:07

Great advice, thanks guys!!!

IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #9 - 03/29/13 at 10:05:04

Back in 09 when I got my bike, I was advised to
fluxuate the speed and even stop 1/2 way home
as it was a hot day and make sure that she didn't
overheat.
I was advised to do this for the 1st 500 miles.
I also was advised that the tires needed broke in as well.
Just thought I would add my little bit of knowledge. Smiley kim

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #10 - 03/29/13 at 12:28:07

Tire break in is easy. Front tire against the chimney or your truck, back tire in the grass, put it in first and spin the rear tire until it is steaming a bit. Mold release compound is now gone from the rear tire. Scrub the front with a bristle brush and water as hot as you can stand it. You could scrub the rear too, but my way is more fun (and freaks out the wife)...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #11 - 03/29/13 at 14:06:05

Thanks Kim & WD.

Kim, I grew up in Mt. Vernon and left Washington in '01, been wanting to get back ever since. Did you find that information accurate? Not sure how I would even know if it was being broken in correctly.

WD - That won't damage the forks??

What I have been doing more of is easing the throttle up and back over 10-20 seconds every few miles. Feel like one step away from making a voodoo replica of the bike and swinging a dead cat over my head,  Grin It's driving great and I will work on varying the speed and gearing more till the 1,000 mile mark (just hit 600, time for oil & maintenance) and then I'm just riding how I ride and not worrying any more about it.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #12 - 03/29/13 at 15:30:24

Not a bit. The tire just cuts a groove in the yard.

Mt Vernon? I'm Puyallup born, Spanaway/Graham raised, graduated high school in Tacoma, went to WSU. Left WA in 12/94, swore I'd never be back. Was back from 11/01-3/11, couldn't get out of there fast enough. Wife wants to move back after her dad is gone, we moved back to TN to help him with his pecan farm. I'd go to Vancouver WA or so, but no closer to Seattle than that (would prefer Seaside or Columbia City Ore, but I'm not paying state income tax and having some jock drop out pump my gas for me)...

My farmhand is Seattle area born and raised. Wallingford, Ballard, White Center, Pacific, Shelton, Hoodsport...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #13 - 03/29/13 at 16:08:55

WD wrote on 03/29/13 at 15:30:24:
Not a bit. The tire just cuts a groove in the yard.

Mt Vernon? I'm Puyallup born, Spanaway/Graham raised, graduated high school in Tacoma, went to WSU. Left WA in 12/94, swore I'd never be back. Was back from 11/01-3/11, couldn't get out of there fast enough. Wife wants to move back after her dad is gone, we moved back to TN to help him with his pecan farm. I'd go to Vancouver WA or so, but no closer to Seattle than that (would prefer Seaside or Columbia City Ore, but I'm not paying state income tax and having some jock drop out pump my gas for me)...

My farmhand is Seattle area born and raised. Wallingford, Ballard, White Center, Pacific, Shelton, Hoodsport...

Yeah, Oregon is a pretty different place,  Grin I bet she would love Anacortes, Bellingham or Stanwood areas. I was in Spokane for about 4 of my 30 years in WA and that is a pretty depressing place.  Grin

How many people on this forum are from the Northwest? Seems like a lot...

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 16:41:48

General CategoryThe Cafe › 500 Mile Mark!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.