Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Drained battery. Couldn't push start. Recharge? (Read 242 times)
newb_Jack
Ex Member

Drained battery. Couldn't push start. Recharge?
03/26/13 at 07:54:43

Hey gang. First post, been lurking for a few months now. I am a new rider and have little to no experience with engine maintenance. I don't even have any tools, (I'd like to get a tool kit for the bike though!). I usually keep my bike in a heated garage a few miles from my apartment, I live in Brooklyn, NY.

I have a 1999 LS650 Savage. I bought it used last December with a little over 5000 miles on it, (yes 5000). I rode it on any nice weekend through the winter. It has been running well, besides some backfiring.

I ran a few errands this weekend on it and then parked it outside my apartment and rushed off to go play hockey (and drink many beers). When I got back home that night, I found that when I had taken the keys out earlier, I accidentaly switched the ignition to "P" instead of "Off". So the tail light was on for about 11 hours. The next morning when I tried starting the bike (repeatedly) it would not start. It would chug a little (turn over?) and then click a few times. After a few tries it just started clicking without the turning over.

Today I tried to push start the bike just so that I could get it back to the garage. I put the bike in 2nd gear and ran down the street with the clutch in and when I thought I was going at a good rate of speed would ease the clutch out. I tried that 2 times and it didn't work. Then I put it into 3rd gear and tried 2 more times and couldn't get it to start. By then I was exhausted so I gave up for the day.

Is there an easier way to get my bike to start? I'm guessing that I need to recharge the battery but I'm not exactly sure how to do that or if there is a specific charger I would need to get. Any insight would be VERY much appreciated.

Thanks, guys. Hope y'all have a good day.

IP Logged
newb_Jack
Ex Member

Re: Drained battery. Couldn't push start. Recharge
Reply #1 - 03/26/13 at 07:56:31

My steed.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 03/26/13 at 08:01:22

Read this post....just a few lines down from yours.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1363975347

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 03/26/13 at 08:02:00

Pawn shops & Harbor Freight &, I know theres another tool outlet LIke HF,,
But, whatever, youre gonna NEED tools.
Id pull the battery, check H2O level, take it to a parts house for them to charge & check.
OR, if its an old battery already & if you dont want to get left someplace with a bike with a dead battery, put a new, glass mat type in it & know youve got a good battery. For newbies, I recommend eliminating that variable anyway.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 03/26/13 at 08:26:42

The charging system on the Savage is not very powerful.  It is even possible to run the battery down by making too frequent of stops and not riding long enough for the charging to catch up with the use of the starter.  And although it helps you to be seen - the headlight being on all the time does use electrical power.

Push starting is almost impossible for those of us that are not heavy enough to keep the back wheel from sliding - and the ignition system reguires nearly full voltage to make a spark.  The ignition often requires more voltage than the starting system - so sometimes a run down battery can power the starter but not have enough voltage to make the sparkplug work.

You need to get your battery charged or replaced...then go from there.

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #5 - 03/26/13 at 08:41:22

Forgive me if my question is hijacking this thread, but I think it's relevant. Is it even possible to bump start a Savage if the clutch safety has not been disabled? I looked at my wiring diagram and I'm not sure. And I'm way to old to actually go out and try Sad

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #6 - 03/26/13 at 08:53:40

jackedmusic wrote on 03/26/13 at 07:54:43:
... I need to recharge the battery but I'm not exactly sure how to do that or if there is a specific charger I would need to get. Any insight would be VERY much appreciated....

The correct way, or my way?  Remove the chrome tool cover.  See the battery, see the rubber cover on the fat wire.  Lift and clip to the red wire from the charger.  Clip the black wire of the charger to the engine, any metal.  I use a standard automobile battery charger, on the 2 amp level, which is made for small batteries.  Left it charge for about 8 hours, or overnight.  If in a hurry, and don't mind abusing the battery, the 10-12 amp level will give you enough power to start in just one hour.  An AGM battery can be abused.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 03/26/13 at 09:22:12

oldNslow wrote on 03/26/13 at 08:41:22:
Forgive me if my question is hijacking this thread, but I think it's relevant. Is it even possible to bump start a Savage if the clutch safety has not been disabled? I looked at my wiring diagram and I'm not sure. And I'm way to old to actually go out and try Sad

Yes, it is possible to bump start the savage in stock form.

Clutch safety only disables the starter button.

So, let's say you're running down the superslab and you run outta gas.
You switch to reserve but it's not picking up and you make the mistake of pulling in the clutch so it stops spinning, you still got speed and you're currently in no danger of being run over so you decide to bump start it at speed and all she does is lock up.

What do you do? (jepardy theme music here)

push the starter button to get the motor spinning then let out the clutch for a high speed start.

This same procedure can be done from a running start as well.
But with a nearly dead battery it will sputter a few times while the battery recovers from spinning the starter.

If your battery is one step from the grave and you gotta start it, you still can, but you gotta set it up right and getrdon the 1st time.

Suk could've done us a favor by setting up the lights on 1 fuse and the ig on another.  But probably couldn't due headlight requirements while running.

For a really dead battery, pull the headlight and pull the connector.
put in a high gear and bump the bike forward, !!!not backward!!! til you can operate the decomp lever by hand.  I might even go till it starts pushing back down.  This puts the engine in the exhaust stroke.  Now you can bump start it w/out it locking up.

Put the petcock in prime, tap w/a screw driver and make sure the float isn't stuck.

Put it in a low gear, ig on, pull in the clutch and run like hell... don't forget the bike.   Grin

Jump on, get a grip and let out the clutch.

Some people use 2nd, I use 1st cuz you can just leave it chugging till she smooths out or stops.

WWW   IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #8 - 03/26/13 at 09:43:48

verslagen1 wrote:

Quote:

That's valuable info. Should be in the tech section if it's not already there.

Don't think I'll be tryin' it though. Give myself a heart attack. I'll just be real carefull with the key !! Smiley

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 03/26/13 at 09:58:59

oldNslow wrote on 03/26/13 at 09:43:48:
verslagen1 wrote:

Quote:

Don't think I'll be tryin' it though. Give myself a heart attack. I'll just be real carefull with the key !! Smiley

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1337452721

I don't know where to put the link yet.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 03/26/13 at 10:02:12

I weigh about 150. I tried 1st, 2nd, 3rd,, never was able to get it turning over 2 times. Only time I ever actually had the motor spinning w/o the starter was on the downside of a nice hill,,, after 1/2 block of bluhhbluhhbluhhbluhhsputterbluhhbluhhbluhh I was at the bottom & still no joy,,, POOT!

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #11 - 03/26/13 at 10:16:55

Quote:

"Miscellaneous" ?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 03/26/13 at 10:18:40

Yep....I weigh 156 and with pushing and shoven and hoppen on I was able to slide the back tire in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear for a few feet.  I did get it to fire once or twice in 4th gear....but it stalled immediately.  I was on flat river bottom land.....no hill in sight and by the time I got it up to speed and jumped on and but it in gear.....there was not much speed left.

I eventually got a jump from a car and connected jumper cables to the a big bolt on the frame and then directly to the starter......with the key in the on position if fired right up.

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #13 - 03/26/13 at 10:25:02

verslagen1 wrote on 03/26/13 at 09:58:59:
oldNslow wrote on 03/26/13 at 09:43:48:
verslagen1 wrote:

Quote:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1337452721

I'd say either in the General or Misc in the table of contents of the Tech section

Or "Things every savage newb should know..." Sticky in the rubber side down section

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #14 - 03/26/13 at 10:42:00

I drilled a hole in the headlight shell & added a toggle switch with water proof cover. I cut the ground wire for the headlight & ran it through the switch. If it turns over & almost starts, switching the headlight off is often enough extra voltage for it to fire right up on the next try.
Works for me, so I thought I would pass it along. Cool

If shes' been parked a couple of days, I turn off the headlight before I even try to start her. Wink

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 04:24:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Drained battery. Couldn't push start. Recharge?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.