Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Looking for another S40, probably... (Read 691 times)
Buster

Motul 3000 10w40
Zinc 1407ppm

Oklahoma
Looking for another S40, probably...
03/24/13 at 06:51:54

Sold my '11 S40 way too soon and got a street legal "dirt" bike with intentions of riding to work some, but mainly using for playing in the dirt on the weekends. About a week after geting the new bike, my buddies traded their old dual-sports in on Honda and Yamaha cruisers. Finally sold my dirt bike and trying to find a good deal on a S40 in my area, but can't find nearly the selection around where I live as compared to when I bought my S40. And they're pretty much asking full list price now, unlike the $1,000-$1,200 discounts that I found just about a year ago. Did find a 2011 S40 with only 1,100 miles on it for $3,600 but it's about a 2 hour drive to look at it.

Finally, to my real question: If the "best deal" I can find during the next few weeks would be full MSRP on the S40, would you go ahead and get that, or consider spending a bit more and order a Royal Enfield from the local Triumph/Enfield dealer? The S40 and Enfield are really my only two choices, because of their engines and light weight. Like the styling of the Enfield, but not sure how the reliability is compared to the Suzuki. Thank you in advance for your opinions.

2015 S40 (Pearl Moon Stone Gray)
OEM Pillow Seat - OEM Windshield

"Some may call this junk. Me, I call them treasures."
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Re: Looking for another S40, probably...
Reply #1 - 03/24/13 at 07:58:05

Timing is everything, and yours is not in your favor. Spring/summer inventory gets low and prices rise accordingly as this is after all the time to ride. Suzuki has been offering a 0% financing, not sure if they still do. If you can afford a new bike, then call all the dealers within the distance you are willing to travel and get there best price. But remember you might not get the same willing service from the local dealer when time arrives to service it....but you can do your own if you document it and still keep your warranty in tact.
With a used bike you do run the risk of wasting a lot of time and money trying to snake out that good deal.
You have a lot of variables to consider, weigh them, then go get the bike, as its time to ride.....GOOD LUCK!  

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #2 - 03/24/13 at 08:20:01

Try haggling. Find out the dealer cost and offer 5% over that, and if they refuse, (and they probably will) offer 8%, if refused, walk. Do this just before the end of the month. This is because the dealer wants his month-end to look as good as possible, and the commissioned sales person really wants the commission, as Jan and Feb have been low sales months.
You have nothing to loose trying.
I once bought a new Toyota Four-runner at 5% over dealer cost.
The last thing any commissioned sales person wants to see is your back as you walk out the door.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #3 - 03/24/13 at 09:08:20

Buster I absolutely love the RE's, I especially have a soft spot for them after living in India. But be advised even with the UCE's you will spend more time wrenching and doing maintenance then with the LS650, not a bad thing just something to take into consideration  Wink

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 03/24/13 at 09:39:52

2005, well cared for, Supertrapp, Raptor petcock, Special order cam chain, 20,000 miles, extra filters, O-rings, Suzuki shop manual, front tube, Air filter cleaner & oil for drop in K&N, theres more, but, IM in E.Tx & its yours for $2,500.00.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #5 - 03/24/13 at 12:49:43

That same $2500 will get you a 2007 with (approximately) 12,600 on it, box stock, and Viper windshield. I'm in Nebraska.

IMG_0778_001.JPG

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #6 - 03/24/13 at 16:53:01

Wow' such common tastes! I am looking to pull the trigger on a Triumph legend. But I am not sure i will give up the little savage.. theres just nothing wrong with it. Hoping to get my wife to ride it ( short distances) and we can together. and of course my son wants it.

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #7 - 03/24/13 at 19:23:28

arteacher wrote on 03/24/13 at 08:20:01:
....Find out the dealer cost....

Dealer cost is easy to get for a cage, but does anyone know where to find same for a motorcycle?

TIA!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #8 - 03/24/13 at 19:54:11

In 1973 a Yamaha dealer I had worked for when he was getting started sold me a new RD350 for $857, which was his cost +10%. List back then was $1299, so that would make it 60%. Don't know what it would be now, 40 (crap, how did that happen) years later.

Guess that doesn't help much, huh? Cool

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #9 - 03/25/13 at 20:41:07

Most of the dealerships I have talked with seem to start with MSRP, add a couple of hundred for shipping, another couple of hundred for setup, another hundred or so for documentation fees, and maybe more if they can think of some excuse. They might drop a hundred off, somewhere, if you press them. Seems to me you end up with MSRP plus anywhere from five to seven hundred dollars. That doesn't include taxes and registration fees. At least on those websites which list prices for used machines, they seem to run at least a thousand dollars over whatever NADA or KBB retail prices run, plus the hundred or more for documentation fees. Funny enough, if you talk with them about trading a bike, they seem to run several hundred dollars less then NADA or KBB trade-in values. But, when a person tries to sell a bike at NADA retail, or even a little less, nobody seems interested.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #10 - 03/25/13 at 22:14:56

ToesNose wrote on 03/24/13 at 09:08:20:
Buster I absolutely love the RE's, I especially have a soft spot for them after living in India. But be advised even with the UCE's you will spend more time wrenching and doing maintenance then with the LS650, not a bad thing just something to take into consideration  Wink

Toe Knows... Grin... and I agree...

Geez,.. Buster,.. are your friends screwin' whitcha", or what?...

Yunno' what?... if followin' don't work out... lead..
Ride yer' own ride... let them figure out what bike they need to keep up...
If my buddies want to ride on a Savage inappropriate ride... I just don't go...
They want me to come along,.. they know what rides my Savage likes...
This way,.. I can back out of rides I don't care for,.. and they can exclude me from rides if they want to, without offense...
win, win...

PS,.. I think RE's are lovely machines... but I wouldn't buy one... (they need to step up a bit, to get to Jap standards)... (and they can,... Triumph did it,.. Guzzi doin' good, too)... RE will get there...just not yet...

JMHO...
Serow

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 03/26/13 at 07:32:43

I came Thaaaaaat close to buyin an RE. Love the look, options available, everything,,, except the reliability..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 03/26/13 at 09:35:59

I have never owned an unrealiable bike....but a long time ago my best friend had one.

He had a CZ that was a 250cc motocross bike.  It would run all week, run all the practice session, then when it came time to race it lose spark and would not start.  He was constantly trying new points and condensor, cleaning plugs and point gaps..etc.  The bike handled like a dream and was a great bike......when it ran.  He eventually sold it and bought a Suzuki TM400 instead - it handled like a pig and the throttle was like a light switch - but it alwys started and never stopped running as long as you kept fuel in it.

I have seen what emotional baggage an unreliable motorycle is.....and I want nothing to do with them.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Buster

Motul 3000 10w40
Zinc 1407ppm

Oklahoma
Reply #13 - 03/27/13 at 05:32:23

Been window shopping and I did find a good deal a few miles from my house. 2009 red/white with only 700 miles for $3,900 - Sold before I had time to look at it. Found a used orange/black '12 with 4,000 miles for $3,800 but it is nearly a 3 hour drive away. As for new, found a '12 orange/black available for $4,600 but also 3 hours away. The best deal locally is a new '12 orange/black, but they're only dropping the "starting price" $300 lower than the 2013's they have in stock. Which brings me to the one I'm talking to the dealer about - a 2013 blue/white S40 they just got in. They also have a new 2013 orange/black in stock, but my '11 was that color and I actually like the look of the blue/white better. Price isn't too good because the out-the-door price of MSRP + extra fees and blue sky pricing puts it at $6,400 - I countered with an offer of $5,500 OTD, but it didn't go over too well. I also let them know where I could get a still new 2011 Yamaha Vstar 650 custom that was out-the-door priced at $6,300 today, but they didn't get shook up about it. Right now I'm getting the "let me check with my manager" tactic, but I still plan on stopping back by the dealer today and see what the manager says about my offer.

2015 S40 (Pearl Moon Stone Gray)
OEM Pillow Seat - OEM Windshield

"Some may call this junk. Me, I call them treasures."
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 03/27/13 at 07:59:20

Man, what parta OkeelamehomeOyours are you in?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 07:29:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Looking for another S40, probably...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.