Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rear shock swap out (Read 615 times)
87 savage

Gone riding!

Maine
Rear shock swap out
03/23/13 at 18:19:04

After reading B.J.orJo's post about riding 2up entitled "Problably dumb noob question but here it goes?" In that post WD mentioned swapping in a pair of shocks off of a Suzuki Intruder. Does anyone know how much it would actually raise the rear of the bike and in what way does it change the ride. And is it a direct bolt on with no mods? Thanks in advance for any info.

His: 1987 LS650F stock except for 98 engine, Dyna muffler. Hers: 2008 S40 with factory bags, windshield and sissybar.
  IP Logged
Johnny57

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Minneapolis
Re: Rear shock swap out
Reply #1 - 03/23/13 at 18:38:00

I have neither bike at home here but savage has 10.5 I believe and stock intruder shocks are 12.5.  Considering the angle of the dangle and a little Pythagoreum theorum you should be able to compute the height.  I would guess about 3.5 inches.

Someone who has the bike at home, help me out with the math.

IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #2 - 03/23/13 at 20:14:24

Actually,the point is not really how much the shocks raise the bike,but rather how low it sinks when the shocks are loaded....weight of rider/s and luggage. The Intruder shocks do raise the static height of the bike,maybe 2-3". The benefit of the swap is that you can ride "two-up" without bottoming the fender on the tire(  Wink no cut tires) and enjoy a more cushioned ride.

WD will have to expound on the technicals of the swap!

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 03/23/13 at 20:24:01

87,  remember that you don't have to put on different shocks just to get some road clearance.

Over the years I have put on a variety of very large tires on the back end of my Savage and at times I have broken the 300 pound number a couple of times (currently at 288 right now).   To get road clearance on an oversized tire all that is needed to be done is put the stock shock in the highest pre-load setting.

Stock tires and 300 pounds certainly don't require anything other than a quick and easy pre-load setting change.

And I will say you should all check your pre-load setting occasionally as I have had mine shift from high pre-load to a lesser pre-load all by itself.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #4 - 03/23/13 at 20:36:29

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 03/23/13 at 20:24:01:
87,  remember that you don't have to put on different shocks just to get some road clearance.

Over the years I have put on a variety of very large tires on the back end of my Savage and at times I have broken the 300 pound number a couple of times (currently at 288 right now).   To get road clearance on an oversized tire all that is needed to be done is put the stock shock in the highest pre-load setting.

Stock tires and 300 pounds certainly don't require anything other than a quick and easy pre-load setting change.

And I will say you should all check your pre-load setting occasionally as I have had mine shift from high pre-load to a lesser pre-load all by itself.

Right again OF Wink . Memo to self......add to pre-dragon checklist....check rear suspension and shock settings Embarrassed

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
87 savage

Gone riding!

Maine
Reply #5 - 03/24/13 at 04:58:42

Thanks for the quick replies! Oldfeller, I don't really want to lift the bike as I'm only 5'8". I read in that post that the Intruder shocks would also improve the ride 1up.

His: 1987 LS650F stock except for 98 engine, Dyna muffler. Hers: 2008 S40 with factory bags, windshield and sissybar.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #6 - 03/24/13 at 10:42:37

I'm 6'2" 240#. The Intruder shock raise the rear roughly 3" when unloaded.

Stock shocks...

Intruder shocks...

The swingarm angle isn't very noticeable  in those but, with the stock shocks the fender would grab speed bumps. With the Intruder shocks the fender has a couple extra inches of clearance. Plus it adds some weight over the front end. No action without consequences.

I wear 34" inseam jeans and can still flat foot the bike. Even with the VN800A seat it now has, which is a good bit thicker/higher than the stock unit.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #7 - 03/24/13 at 10:47:53

As far as the install goes, it is a direct swap. Same sized shock eye bushings, same sized bolts. Pop off the stock shocks, lift the bike with a floor jack under the emissions shelf, bolt on the new shocks.

Give yourself some time to adjust/adapt to the new feel. It seriously messes with the handling compared to stock. It rides better, but does not respond to steering inputs as quickly. Very HD Dyna Glide-esque...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #8 - 03/24/13 at 11:25:55

Direct bolt-on swap...
If you use the stock belt guard,... you need to trim a little at the front edge because of the added angle of the belt... and replace one engine bolt with a flatter roundhead allen bolt...

It does raise the seat height a few inches, but that is reduced to about an inch once you sit on the bike...
Gives a very nice ride... Wink...

just a few minutes with a file...

this bolt...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
87 savage

Gone riding!

Maine
Reply #9 - 03/25/13 at 01:42:06

Sweet looking bike Serowbot! Where did you get the tank?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #10 - 03/26/13 at 16:54:03

87 savage wrote on 03/25/13 at 01:42:06:
Sweet looking bike Serowbot! Where did you get the tank?

Sorry 87',... I just came across your question...
It's a stock tank, chromed... with rubber knee pads and strip added...
Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 03/26/13 at 18:47:18

Thinking about Oldfeller's comment.  I set my shocks on the least pre-load a couple years ago based on a short first test drive up and down my street.  A lot of what I consider a rough ride on my S40 is caused by the occasional hammer blow to the spine when they bottom out on a rough spot in the pavement and also the bouncing that goes on which keeps flexing my back.

I kept mine set soft thinking I was helping with the ride (always ride single and 165 lbs) but I'm going to set the pre-load up on those babies and see how that works out on the next long ride.

Anyway I have a set of 11-1/2 inch Sportster shocks I haven't installed yet.  They are slightly softer and will give me another inch of travel and I think they short enough that I will not even need to trim the belt guard.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
87 savage

Gone riding!

Maine
Reply #12 - 03/27/13 at 01:50:42

engineer wrote on 03/26/13 at 18:47:18:
Thinking about Oldfeller's comment.  I set my shocks on the least pre-load a couple years ago based on a short first test drive up and down my street.  A lot of what I consider a rough ride on my S40 is caused by the occasional hammer blow to the spine when they bottom out on a rough spot in the pavement and also the bouncing that goes on which keeps flexing my back.

I kept mine set soft thinking I was helping with the ride (always ride single and 165 lbs) but I'm going to set the pre-load up on those babies and see how that works out on the next long ride.

Anyway I have a set of 11-1/2 inch Sportster shocks I haven't installed yet.  They are slightly softer and will give me another inch of travel and I think they short enough that I will not even need to trim the belt guard.

Engineer, I'm going to follow your lead and Oldfellers Idea and set the pre-load up on my shocks and see how it rides. I know exactly what your saying. I'm riding along enjoying the sun, minding my own business and then BAM I hit a bump that looks like nothing but is almost bone jarring! It feels as if there is no suspension sometimes.

IP Logged
Gibsonman
YaBB Newbies

60 yo. Handicap
Rider. Ex Srambles
racer.

Far Northern Calif.
Reply #13 - 06/29/13 at 16:39:15

Have any of you had any success in getting rid of the bottoming out issue?

Thanks,
Des

2005 S-40. 2450 miles. Stock. Back trunk and side saddles. Full windshield. Crash bar with highway pegs. White. Custom rear lighting. Mechanical cruise. Custom seat.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 05:24:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rear shock swap out

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.