Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Valve Noise Normal? (Read 305 times)
wheelsoffreedom76
YaBB Newbies

Kansas
Valve Noise Normal?
03/23/13 at 15:16:44

checked and adjusted the valves on my recently aquired S40 as at full operating temperature I could hear them pretty well. Upon inspection the intake was just shy of being able to fit my .004" (the smallest I have) in there, but there is some clearance as I can move the rocker just a hair so I'm thinking the intakes are probably at .003". The exhaust was at .008" so I set them to .004". There is plenty of oil making it to the top end. I buttoned it up and rode around awhile, and the valve noise was much, much quieter. However, at full temperature the exhaust valves can still be heard. I'm running Rotella 15w40 oil, and the temperature outside has been in the 40's and 50's when I have been riding. The exhaust header is light gold for the first 8" or so, but no blue anywhere. I am a mechanic by trade, and have worked on everything but motorcycles until this one. To my ear, it still seems to tap too much but maybe it's normal. While I had it apart, I applied light pressure upward on the rocker assembly with one finger, and tapped another finger downward on the other side of the rocker assembly and it made that signature tap when the adjuster bolts contacted the valve stems. That was at .008" before I adjusted them, so I know that is where the noise is originating. My next step is to get either a master set of feeler gauges that includes .002" and .003" or maybe the motion pro angled gauge in .002-.003" and set the exhaust again (though that is awlful tight on exhaust valves for my taste), and or find a suitable 20w50 wet clutch oil, or even 60 weight. I know they are getting lubed well, as I've pulled the covers twice and each time, there is oil between the adjuster bolts, and the valve stems, and no visible wear to the valve stems or adjuster bolts. Am I nitpicking this thing? Or do you guys run .002-.003 and heavier oil? Or just let'er tap?

06 S40
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Re: Valve Noise Normal?
Reply #1 - 03/23/13 at 15:30:10

Think solid tappet cams, there is always going to be some noise there.  Myself I use the Rotella T6 which is the full syn 5w40 and have no issues.  

If your using normal feeler gauges you will definitely want to bend them so you can get an accurate reading when setting your valve clearance.

If you still getting excessive noise it may not be your valves but your cam chain tensioner, put you hand or foot on the right side case and see if you feel a tapping there when it's running.  If you do that is your cam chain tensioner getting ready to fall apart, from being extended to far.

Some people do run a heavier weight oil in their savages but I for one don't recommend it because the savage has a marginal oiling system as it is, and when cold the top end is starved of oil with the heavy weight oils for a longer period of time, and there are no bearings for the cam. So once damage is done there, there are no bearings to replace to fix it.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
wheelsoffreedom76
YaBB Newbies

Kansas
Reply #2 - 03/23/13 at 16:09:33

The first repairs I made on this bike was a new cam chain tensioner modified by machine shop so it has about 4mm of extension when installed. New crankshaft oil seal, and clutch cover gasket. Oil filter and fresh oil. And yes, the .004" feeler gauge I used was removed from the set, and belt to around 45 degrees so the measuring portion was perfectly flat between stem and adjuster bolt.
    I'm sure it will run for many more years. I'm just picky.

06 S40
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 03/23/13 at 16:11:26

Theyre a noisy engine, its okay,, just keep them adjusted.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 03/23/13 at 16:12:50

Air-cooled bikes do have looser tolerances,.. to allow for heat expansion,.. so, they will be noisier,.. and this is a big thumper, so it has big parts...
... a little noise when hot, is normal... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #5 - 03/23/13 at 16:13:06

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=suzuki+savage+youtube&qpvt=suzuki+savage+...

There are a bunch of short videos on youtube that you can listen to and get a pretty good idea of what these bikes sound like. Just try to find guys with low mileage bikes that still have the stock pipe. The link above will get you started. Like rfw2003 said, these engines do make some valve noise even when everything is OK.

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #6 - 03/23/13 at 16:23:29

Don't you check and adjust a cold motor only?

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
wheelsoffreedom76
YaBB Newbies

Kansas
Reply #7 - 03/23/13 at 16:28:41

I actually did watch every video I could find of how these bikes sound for comparison. Mine is quieter than the majority of them. However for most of the videos I seen, it is unknown if those bikes are within specs, or have ever been serviced.

Thanks guys for the quick responses to my question.

06 S40
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #8 - 03/23/13 at 16:29:34

raydawg wrote on 03/23/13 at 16:23:29:
Don't you check and adjust a cold motor only?

Yes, Clymers says cool - 95 degreesF or less.

IP Logged
wheelsoffreedom76
YaBB Newbies

Kansas
Reply #9 - 03/23/13 at 16:34:23

Mine was plenty cool, was 30 something degrees.

06 S40
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #10 - 03/23/13 at 16:40:31

wheelsoffreedom76 wrote on 03/23/13 at 16:34:23:
Mine was plenty cool, was 30 something degrees.

Smart move... storing your bike in the 'fridge...
It'll stay fresh longer that way... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
87 savage

Gone riding!

Maine
Reply #11 - 03/23/13 at 17:25:41

wheelsoffreedom76 wrote on 03/23/13 at 16:09:33:
New crankshaft oil seal, and clutch cover gasket.

Hi Wheelsoffreedom76, not to nitpick, but are you sure you don't mean Transmission main or output shaft seal? The crank is totally encased in the engine. There are no crank seals. Anyway, a little noise is normal. My wife's 08 Boulevard has 800 miles on it and ticks a little when fully warmed up. Sounds like you checked and adjusted yours correctly.

His: 1987 LS650F stock except for 98 engine, Dyna muffler. Hers: 2008 S40 with factory bags, windshield and sissybar.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 03/23/13 at 17:26:52

Here is a shameless promotion.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1346847853/0

Send me $ 7.00 and I will mail you a 0.003 and 0.004 feeler gauge.  I adjust them so the 0.004 won't go through....but the 0.003 will.

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
wheelsoffreedom76
YaBB Newbies

Kansas
Reply #13 - 03/23/13 at 18:35:00

87 savage wrote on 03/23/13 at 17:25:41:
wheelsoffreedom76 wrote on 03/23/13 at 16:09:33:
New crankshaft oil seal, and clutch cover gasket.

Hi Wheelsoffreedom76, not to nitpick, but are you sure you don't mean Transmission main or output shaft seal? The crank is totally encased in the engine. There are no crank seals. Anyway, a little noise is normal. My wife's 08 Boulevard has 800 miles on it and ticks a little when fully warmed up. Sounds like you checked and adjusted yours correctly.

http://www.ronayers.com/Fiche/TypeID/26/Type/Motorcycle/MakeID/2/Make/Suzuki/...

Ref# 10 crankshaft oil seal right hand

06 S40
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #14 - 03/23/13 at 20:33:06

Wheels,

FWIW, when I adjust the valve lash on mine (see my signature block), I use two feeler gauges (both the same size).   For intake or exhaust, I put one in the port valve's side and one in the starboard valve's side.  I feel this technique lends itself to a more accurate measurement.

JMHO!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 06:17:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Valve Noise Normal?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.