Send Topic Print
Valve Noise Normal? (Read 305 times)
87 savage

Gone riding!

Maine
Re: Valve Noise Normal?
Reply #15 - 03/24/13 at 05:37:06

[wheelsoffreedom76 wrote on 03/23/13 at 16:09:33:
New crankshaft oil seal, and clutch cover gasket.
    I'm sure it will run for many more years. I'm just picky.

http://www.ronayers.com/Fiche/TypeID/26/Type/Motorcycle/MakeID/2/Make/Suzuki/...

Ref# 10 crankshaft oil seal right hand [/quote]

Yup, totally overlooked the seal in the crankcase cover. My bad  Roll Eyes

His: 1987 LS650F stock except for 98 engine, Dyna muffler. Hers: 2008 S40 with factory bags, windshield and sissybar.
  IP Logged
wheelsoffreedom76
YaBB Newbies

Kansas
Reply #16 - 04/16/13 at 13:26:16

Well after rechecking the adjustment on two seperate occasions, adjusting them down to .002" and trying that, and finally putting them back at .004" on both intake and exhaust. I've concluded that the valves havnt made any noise since the first time I adjusted them when they were at nearly .009" clearance. HOWEVER, I still have a pronounced tap that exactly mimmicks a loose valve adjustment, but only when at full operating temperature, and the switch from 15w40 to 20w50 made the tap less noticeable. The bottom end is quiet always, and the tap starts to be heard about 70% warmed up, and reaches it's full tap when 100% warmed up. Long screwdriver to the ear hasnt revealed anything. Listening around the engine it sure seems to be localized around the valvetrain area. I've put nearly 400 miles on it soo far, and the tap hasnt changed. I've poured through the parts schematics for everything at the top end looking for a culprit. Though I have little experience with bike repair, I have been an auto and equip tech for nearly 20 years and my gut says something has excessive clearance, and the cooler (thicker) oil is masking it till it gets warmed up. I did recently check the decomp lever adjustment, and verify the rocker arm was not contacting the decomp shaft while running.

06 S40
  IP Logged
87 savage

Gone riding!

Maine
Reply #17 - 04/16/13 at 15:46:55

Wheels, sounds like you have done a super thorough job adjusting the rocker arms and checking everything over. Really wish I could hear your bike. Hate to repeat what other forum members have said but these bikes are noisy, even when fairly new. What convinces me that it is the rockers is the fact that you only hear it when warm. That is when both my 87 and the wifes 2008 exhibit a little rocker noise when totally warm. If it were bottom end or a bearing you would most likely hear it when cold. Maybe you could record it so we can hear it?

His: 1987 LS650F stock except for 98 engine, Dyna muffler. Hers: 2008 S40 with factory bags, windshield and sissybar.
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #18 - 04/16/13 at 16:30:18

Wheels....just a suggestion.... head out to a dealer and ask to test ride a new one....listen to it and compair, or find a used one that has been "checked" by thier mechanic and ask to listen to it. Think that will help? I'm with you tho, been playin' with the wifes trying to make it safe enough for me to turn over to her and I think it still sounds too noisy, was about t do a valve adjustment myself.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 08:30:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Valve Noise Normal?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.