Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Problably dumb noob question but here it goes? (Read 277 times)
B.J. and Jo

Colorado Springs, CO.
Problably dumb noob question but here it goes?
03/22/13 at 15:10:58

Is it dangerous to ride the S40 "2 up"?? I weigh 230 the wife 130, the bike has a pretty short wheelbase and some short shocks so I was wondering if it should only be for "single" rider?  If not, then will a backrest off a LS650 fit the S40, thanks! (B.J.)

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Problably dumb noob question but here it goes?
Reply #1 - 03/22/13 at 16:21:25

Probably more uncomfortable than dangerous...

I have buddy that weighs as much as both of you,.. and he put 40k on his Savage...
In fact, we have several members over #300 lbs..
So,.. the bike will do it, if you will... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #2 - 03/22/13 at 17:17:57

I'm about 190 and the wife is 140, and we go 2-up all the time!  There is a factory backrest, and my wife wouldn't want to ride without it.  If your bike didn't come with it, you'll probably have to change out your side rails to accept the rest.  You may or may not want to change out the factory seat for something more comfortable - if not for you then for her.  Give it a test ride, and see how it feels!

Things to consider:  The rear shocks have an adjustable pre-load.  I generally keep it on 4, since that's stiff enough for 2-up.

Recommended tire pressures are slightly different for 2-up, so you may want to check that out to.

Stay safe, and most importantly ENJOY THE RIDE! Wink

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
B.J. and Jo

Colorado Springs, CO.
Reply #3 - 03/22/13 at 17:39:50

Thanks, that means it should work, yes we will HAVE to get a backrest, my wife is like yours, no backrest no ride! I usually run tire pressures toward max (40 psi, with max at 41 psi) as the S40 seems to have a "heavy feeling" front end and the higher pressure helps!  So do I need to find the "side rails" for a LS650 for the factory backrest to FIT our 2009 S40? Again, thanks for the help it's very much appreciated! Have a most excellent day! Smiley

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 03/22/13 at 17:43:32

Id set the shocks on Sport

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
B.J. and Jo

Colorado Springs, CO.
Reply #5 - 03/22/13 at 17:57:08

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 03/22/13 at 17:43:32:
Id set the shocks on Sport

Ya, I'll see what the shocks are set at, kinda had a DUH moment and totally forgot to check the shock setting. It was formally owned by a young, smallish lady in the Army, it's only got 317 miles on it so the shocks are probably on ONE setting Embarrassed The little things you forget while not having a scoot in 7 years! Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Reply #6 - 03/22/13 at 18:04:39

B.J. and Jo wrote on 03/22/13 at 17:39:50:
So do I need to find the "side rails" for a LS650 for the factory backrest to FIT our 2009 S40?

Jo and BJ,
Run a Goolge search for Pinwall Cycles and follow it to their ebay store. I picked up a used siderail set, bar and backpad for about $40 from them last year. I believe the bolt pattern is the same for any year but the bolt lenght changed in 2005. I bought a set off a 2002 that fit my 2007.

Good hunting

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 03/22/13 at 18:08:56

Yup,.. you'll need the siderails, short sissy and back backrest pad...

I have them,... $40 + shipping...
...and I also have a nice widened pillion pad (I can get a photo if you're interested)...
I'll sell the whole batch for $100 +shipping... (siderails and sissy are a bit heavy)...
I'm in AZ... so, not too far...

PM me if yer' interested..

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #8 - 03/22/13 at 20:25:28

Front end is actually a bit light on the Savage. If it feels heavy, check your steering head bearings. And your wheel to fork tube to handlebar relationship, something may be a bit out of spec. 317 miles is just over 1/2 way through its initial shake down run. Not uncommon to need a few tweaks here and there.

My wife and I have ridden 2 up a few times when my bike was stock. Together we were 400# plus at the time. Both now have 2 bikes each.

Get some VS800/1400 shocks from the bike breakers. Massive improvement in ride quality solo or two up. Note, I clear 6'2" 240#, your results may differ...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #9 - 03/23/13 at 01:41:08

The earlier models have the backrest as stock, after about 2005 you won't have one. I ride solo and don't think I'd want a pillion because of the tiny rear seat. There's others with much more knowledge than me. Maybe consider a small Airhawk pillion seat pad.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
B.J. and Jo

Colorado Springs, CO.
Reply #10 - 03/23/13 at 06:01:50

WD wrote on 03/22/13 at 20:25:28:
Front end is actually a bit light on the Savage. If it feels heavy, check your steering head bearings. And your wheel to fork tube to handlebar relationship, something may be a bit out of spec. 317 miles is just over 1/2 way through its initial shake down run. Not uncommon to need a few tweaks here and there.

My wife and I have ridden 2 up a few times when my bike was stock. Together we were 400# plus at the time. Both now have 2 bikes each.

Get some VS800/1400 shocks from the bike breakers. Massive improvement in ride quality solo or two up. Note, I clear 6'2" 240#, your results may differ...

Totally agree, IF our meger budget could handle buying a "2nd. S40 or LS650", that would be the BEST situation, alas that ain't happen'in, RATS! Sad We won't be 2 up most of the time, were doing a "time share", LOL with this S40, (I ride it solo, she rides it solo) but incase we need to double up it would be great to have the backrest!

My only fear with the aftermarket shocks is that my wife who's only 5 ft. 0 in. with a 26 in. inseam couldn't ride it solo. I will have to find "aftermarket shocks" that are the same Length as Stock unit's! Have a most excellent day! (B.J.)

IP Logged
B.J. and Jo

Colorado Springs, CO.
Reply #11 - 03/23/13 at 06:13:41

Serowbot wrote on 03/22/13 at 18:08:56:

...and I also have a nice widened pillion pad (I can get a photo if you're interested)...
I'll sell the whole batch for $100 +shipping... (siderails and sissy are a bit heavy)...

PM Sent, I'm interested in the rails/backrest bar and pad, thanks!! Smiley

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #12 - 03/23/13 at 11:20:28

My shock swap was free, put the Savage shocks on Lisa's 800 Intruder and the Intruder shocks on my Savage. See if there are any short people around you with an Intruder, the Savage shocks get rid of the factory "dirt bike" look Intruders have.

Any custom HD shops in your area? Take off XL shocks are cheap and you only need to change the shock eye sleeve to make them fit.

I hear you on broke. Lisa is on disability and I'm unemployed.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
JRLeathercraft

I'm not a biker, I
just own one.

Reply #13 - 03/23/13 at 11:48:25

I used to have a VSTAR and my wife and I rode together many miles. Nice heavy comfortable bike.

I sold it cause I wasn't riding much, but kinda missed it so  I bought the savage (I had one a long time ago) as  I knew my wife wasn't interested in riding anymore and my 7 year old son might be interesed in riding, and I'm primarly going to use it locally to run around.

My personal opinion: You can do it, but I wouldn't ride 2 up for very long on it. The person on the back wouldn't be comfortable. You can get wind blown a lot on this bike on the highwya. If I was a young man in my 20's again and with urr, a light young 20's something with me, it would be a different story. Age has a way of getting to you Smiley

Just be safe, ride a lot 1 up first.

IP Logged
B.J. and Jo

Colorado Springs, CO.
Reply #14 - 03/23/13 at 13:40:09

Serowbot wrote on 03/22/13 at 18:08:56:

Serowbot: I've tried to send the PM and also to "respond" to your PM to ME but I don't think it's working!!! I see your PM to ME in my inbox BUT I've tried to reply to you and I see a 0 in my out box count??

I'd like to get the "side rails, the backrest with the pad" Pls. send me an "e-mail" to bjandjoondo@gmail.com  Thanks! sorry for the PM problem B.J.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 05:31:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Problably dumb noob question but here it goes?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.