Officially a FSO (Read 230 times)
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Officially a FSO
03/21/13 at 16:25:57

So long, farewell, auf Wiedersehen, good-bye.

I pulled the trigger this afternoon on a 2007 C50. Only 2,000 miles, a good price, and I got more on trade for the S40 than I paid for it in February 2012. It pains me to say that space and budget dictate that I can only have one bike. I really hate to see the S40 go. It was my first bike and I bought it based on recommendations I read in this forum. It has treated me well. I had great fun on the road (2,000 mile round trip from central Kentucky to upstate New York last fall). And great fun in the garage as well. It was a pleasure turning a wrench again on a machine I could figure out. I enjoyed installing ToesNose speedometer and tach and the forward controls, stainless Dyna muffler adaptor, and tensioner from Routy, Dave and Verslagen. Nice work gentlemen and much appreciated.

But things change and the thing that changed for me was the desire to have my wife ride with me from time to time. We are both close to retirement and looking for a shared activity outside of the house other than golf. We are tallish people. I am 6’2” and 220 pounds. She is 6’ even and 140 pounds. A total of 12’ 2” just doesn’t fit on a S40.

The C50 seems huge and I am concerned about how I will handle the additional weight of the bike. With that in mind, I have signed up for the MSF BRC-2 course where I can run the C50 through the same slow speed exercises they teach in the BRC-1 school. Wish me luck when I pick it up next week.

But I will log in from time to time. I want to see how Dave’s project turns out and read the casualty list from the next oil war.

Good hunting

Well I guess it is official now, parted with the S40 and rode the 2007 C50 home today from the dealer, a 125 mile ride. To be honest, as a novice rider I was just a little afraid of the C50. The size and the weight are much more than I am accustomed to with the S40. But after a few miles and a few stops and starts, I was well pleased with how light the C50 feels and how well it corners. The low seat and wide bars help alot.

I will post a picture or two when i can but it is just your basic black C50 and the only aftermarket option installed by the previous owner was a 21" Memphis fats with the quick disconnect mount. A $300 plus option, so that is good.

After I got home I felt like I was forgetting something, something major. Then it dawned on me that I just rode 125 miles, mainly highway speeds, and had not stopped for fuel. As a matter of fact, the fuel gauge still had 2 of the five bars showing. Fuel gauge, what a novel idea. Now where is that address for the Suzuki design and development folks?

Good hunting

« Last Edit: 03/29/13 at 17:54:42 by Blinky-FSO »  

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Soon to be a FSO
Reply #1 - 03/21/13 at 17:04:58

6' & 140 POUNDS?? Heck, fold her up & drop her in a saddle bag,,,

Yea,, thats a LOT of linear inches to be strappin on one of these.
Neither one of you are small, top to bottom, & the 40 is a small built thing.
You can sure hang out, tho.
OHH, & Good on YA! Got more in trade than ya Paid? Love IT<

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 03/22/13 at 05:18:52

Blinky:  Sad to see you go.....but not when you are moving up to a bike that will better suit you and your wife.  My wife is not a fan of sitting on the back of the Savage......so my Cafe' conversion with the single seat doesn't bother her a bit.  Our heads are the same height when we are on the bike and she doesn't see much more than the back of my helmet....and we bang helmets when I shift or brake.

You will get used to the bigger bike with a little bit of time in the saddle, the weight is only an issue when you stop and put a foot down.

Good luck with the new bike......and keep in touch.  I hope to have my bike up an running by the time warm weather arrives.  If you take a trip to the Northern Kentucky/Cincinnati area.....let me know.

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #3 - 03/22/13 at 07:07:10

Sounds like the ideal time to have done the deed. You can't beat getting more in trade than you paid for it. The C50 (formerly Volusia) IS the best of the 805cc platform variants.

My Savage always ended up as the back up bike when I had something else to ride. It is still around and the rest, except my 1963 Honda, are long gone. Not by choice, but...

Stick around my friend. We love getting reports on the new rides when a member changes bikes.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 03/22/13 at 09:24:16

You're gonna love it. I love mine.

--Steve

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 03/22/13 at 10:34:49

I came real close to a Volusia once, myself. Had it been better mantained, I woulda..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #6 - 03/22/13 at 11:40:35

Congratz!

let us hear from time to time..

IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #7 - 03/22/13 at 13:33:34

I really like the feel of my 2009 C50. I'm still waiting for the weather to break so I can see how the new mustang seat feels.
Enjoy,

AL

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #8 - 03/22/13 at 19:38:29

Hate to loose you Blinky but I understand. Good luck and stop by any time! Always room for a fellow Kentuckian and FSO at the ethernet table!

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
Borracho

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Albuquerque, NM
Reply #9 - 03/22/13 at 20:31:37

I own both a C50 and a Savage. Much prefer the Savage. It suits me better, but I am shorter than you.

image_058.jpg

2004, Jardine muffler, K&N drop-in, Corbin seat, Raptor petcock and Sportster handlebars with phony ISO grips.
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #10 - 03/23/13 at 04:31:46

Best of luck with the new ride Blinky   Grin  Don't be a stranger  Wink

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
B.J. and Jo

Colorado Springs, CO.
Reply #11 - 03/23/13 at 06:31:54

Blinky-FSO wrote on 03/21/13 at 16:25:57:
The C50 seems huge and I am concerned about how I will handle the additional weight of the bike. With that in mind, I have signed up for the MSF BRC-2 course where I can run the C50 through the same slow speed exercises they teach in the BRC-1 school. Wish me luck when I pick it up next week.

But I will log in from time to time. I want to see how Dave’s project turns out and read the casualty list from the next oil war.

Good hunting

ENJOY the new scoot, LOL, I had to laugh a bit, my last bike was a 95 Kawasaki Concours Sport Tourer, (sold off 2006). The S40 feels SOOO TINY to me gona take a bit to get use to! So after a bit you won't notice the "largeness" at all it will seem normal and if you mount a S40 again it will seem so small! Have a most excellent day! Wink

IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #12 - 03/23/13 at 22:18:02

You are gonna love the C50. It's a way different ride than the S40 and it will take a couple of weeks to get used to it. The C50 is much better on the hi way. I found it more stable and the power improvement made longer hi way trips more comfortable and less tiring. I also found it very smootht up to 70mph. Above that it was starting to hit its top end a got buzzy. No badly so but enought to get to you after an hour or so. There is a mod for the diff. Gearing that will reduce this.

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
Dj12midnit
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

If you'r here and
I'm here isn't this
our time?

Lynden Wa.
Reply #13 - 03/24/13 at 14:58:52

Blinky Got to love that c50 come on over and visit the folks at http://www.volusiariders.com

http://www.suzukiownersclub.net

2006 Progressive 412-4236C, Big Crank, TKat F\B, ME880 Rear.
  IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Reply #14 - 03/24/13 at 15:12:14

Dj12midnit wrote on 03/24/13 at 14:58:52:
Blinky Got to love that c50 come on over and visit the folks at http://www.volusiariders.com

Thanks Dj. I joined the volusia site the other day. Same name.

And thanks to all for thier comments. I planned to pick up the C50 this upcoming week but old man winter is still holding on with snow in the forecast into Tuesday. It is forecasted to be 50 and partly cloudy on Friday. I may have put on another layer and go for it since I am off Friday. The bike is 125 miles away.

Good hunting

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 16:28:53