Send Topic Print
next bike after Savage (Read 739 times)
Smokestack

The Devil made me do
it!

The Hammer, Canada
Re: next bike after Savage
Reply #30 - 04/02/13 at 13:27:46

The Bolt is pretty sweet, even if it is a straight up copy of a Sportster, for the most part.  Yeah, yeah, the tank's different and it's Japanese, but I'd bet my right arm that it was a calculated marketing move to poach some of the young buck sporty riders out there.  Not that thats a bad thing, mind you, healthy competition and all that.  I don't know yet if I like it more or less than a Sporty, but either would make a good "step up" if you feel the need.

Yup, I done some stuff......
  IP Logged
jiminapex
YaBB Newbies

Just bobbin' around
NC

Apex, NC
Reply #31 - 04/02/13 at 13:41:04

Just sharing in case it will help your decision.  I've ridden a BMW R1150GS for the last 8 years, and a BMW R1100R for 5 years before that.  I bought a used S40 in 2011 and bobbed it over the winter of 2012.  So far, I've ridden the S40 more than I ever rode either of the BMWs.  It's lighter, easier to manuever, and just plain more fun.  Now, of course the BMW is a completely different bike and  makes traveling a breeze.  It'll do a 500 mile day no sweat.  However, for riding to work and back, or just around town, It think the S40 is tops.   I tried a Honda 750 Shadow recently too.  Nice bike, but the S40 is still the one I prefer to ride.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #32 - 04/03/13 at 12:31:13

Im not a big guy, standing tall, 5'6". Im about 150 pounds & Im not strong any more. I had a Guzzi Nevada, saddle is a bit high, toes on the ground straight up, a little lean & 1 foot flat. I stopped where some small gravel was scattered around & my foot slid out. Nearly did what I call the "Power splits", but was able with great effort to halt that foot & hold it up.
Ive even had the 40 come close, but it was easier to save. Said all that to say this... The way the 40 is built, low & pretty light, makes it much easier for me to keep it off the ground in those situations where gravity has an advantage & my traction is limited. It also has enough power to accelerate & work thru traffic OR cover me if I miss an oncoming car & pull out & realize I Need, I mean I NEED to get the heck on & get outta the WAY,, & yes, Ive done that. On a Honda 50, I woulda been a hood ornament,.,.
I can rip across town on the 40, Im not having to contend with an unwieldy hulk. Its light & quick. For where I ride, its just a really good tool to solve my transportation problems. IF I was wanting to make a long ride, like 3 or 400 miles in a day, Id rather have a bike that more comfortable at high speeds. The 40 runs 70 MPH okay & its fun, but not all day. If I was gonna do that, Id want something heavier & with a windshield. Something the engine wasnt putting out over 80% of max to keep it at highway speeds. Something that had the kind of acceleration reserves at 70 that a guy mite need to avoid a problem at speed. What bike answers those questions? Dang, theres a bunch O them. Ive never owned a big heavy bike, never will, unless someone wills me one. ( Hint, hint,, Smiley  )

I live out in the sticks, County roads for about 5 or 6 miles before I hit real civilization. The 40 runs thru those curves, corners & lumpy, poorly maintained roads fine. It easily blends into traffic, accelerating easily &
making progress thru traffic effortlessly. It has everything I could ask for in a local area kinda transportation device. With some clever work, it can be made to haul all kindsa struff. Ive had backpacks strapped onto each side & a gym bag, reinforced with 1/8th ply & D-Rings sewn on, strapped on the seat, extending past the tail light. All easily removed, making it easy to carry in groceries & put them up, Slap them on, run errands, take them off, run wild. All to say, the 40 is versatile. Its quick & fun. I think its the right tool for my job. It may not be the right tool for your job. There may BE a better tool out there for what you want.
But, if youre wanting to run from home, into town, knock out a few errands, pick a few things up & get home & do it quickly & have fun, riding something thats more like a pet horse than a wild mustang, always requiring your attention to keep it from biting you.

( I was never able to be fully comfortable coming to a stop on the Guzzi. Thats THE moment, for me, when Im most "at risk" for dropping a bike. The 40 is the least worrisome Ive ridden. Ive never asked,, Is this a Point others have?)

Anyway, if youre feeling youve graduated from the 40 & your transportation needs arent fully met by it, I hope you find something that Fits YOU, allows you to feel comfortable on it, able to be in control of it thru all the little things we encounter regularly, sand & gravel at a stop sign & such. Weve got a road that intersects another & a stop sign. Just as ya get there, the road has a rise to it thats so steep that If ya stop At the stop sign, the front tire is high & the distance from seat to asphalt it enormous.. Very bad for a biker. ONly option is to stop back.. & thats fine, as long as some idiot on a cell phone isnt behind you,,
Anyway, I hope you can keep the 40 a while after ya get whatever you decide on. You may decide its just too cool to get rid of.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
houstonbofh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, TX
Reply #33 - 04/03/13 at 19:48:54

Aida has the Savage, and I have a Marauder.  The bikes do share a lot of parts, but mine just makes more power...  And it is still very light.  Stock is under 500 pounds wet, and a lot of people bob them out to far less than that.  If you just want a Savage that is just a little bigger, the Marauder is not a bad choice.

IP Logged
Gentlemanjim

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #34 - 05/06/13 at 23:50:32

S50 the next logical step up

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #35 - 05/07/13 at 00:35:57

Suzuki VS800/S50 is a logical move up from the S40/Savage and are decent machines ... but MHO, the S50 has got to be the most "soul-less" Bike I have ever owned ... and that battery compartment is enough to drive a person into an asylum ... the engineer who invented that should have been ridiculed and flogged publically ...

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #36 - 05/07/13 at 00:46:26

If I were going to "bump up"....
I might actually bump down to an XT350 Yamaha... but they quit making them... (no bother, I only buy used)...
Up would be a 883 Sportster....(too much $$$)...
... a Ducati 600, 620i, 6 whatever... (too much valve adjustment)...
... a Ninja 650... I'd crash it... (too much,.. muchness)...

So,... I'm a Savage guy... Huh...
I can afford it,.. I can fix it,... I can ride it, without being coaxed into trouble...
Tongue...

At this point,.. I think the only things that would move me of my perch... would be...
... a need to rooster tail...
... and excess of cash...
... or, a need to go 2-up...(which I would beg a significant other to reconsider)...
I used to ride chicks on the pillion, carefree... but, I couldn't stand the potential guilt today...
...(the advent of cell phones, has made riding, into a lethal game of dodge-ball)...
I still play... but, only my hand... Huh

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #37 - 05/07/13 at 04:38:47

JOG you nailed the way I feel, I'm mainly a local country roads rider.  As for interstate travel I don't see that being something in my near future maybe when my son is older and I have more personal time. That being said I also love the LS650 for what it is and does for me, but I wouldn't mind adding to the stable, my two favorites hopefully I'll own one day-

Kawasaki W650

Royal Enfield C-5

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #38 - 05/07/13 at 08:07:41

steampowered, have you looked at the M50? I keep looking at them myself...they have the power for the highway, look nice and low (love the forks on 'em). The only thing is, they're definately heavier...

I really think the S40 is my kinda ride but sometimes I'd like to take my wife along w/o her (and me) feeling cramped. Living in the wild west here hiways are always covered with big long-haul cruisers and I'd like to take some long trips but, in reality, the S40 is what I'm gonna keep for now 'cuz i can use it ALL the time not just sometimes....

I actually have been into the smaller rides lately...like really small...like 35 yr old 49.5cc moped small...I got one of my mopeds up to 40 the other day and felt like a 12 yr old!!!!

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #39 - 05/07/13 at 08:27:36

Steam'er

Steamy on the subject of the Triumphs,  I prefer the Speedmaster over the America. Performance-wise they are much the same,it's just that the America has too much brightwork for my taste and looks too much like a Hurley Divotson copy. The Triumph is THE bike I'd have if not a Savage. It's not fast and not a true "twisties" scooter but it's stable and heavy enough to be a good interstate cruiser if needed and still a fun ride on the two-lane runs.

Check these out and let us know ! Wink

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #40 - 05/07/13 at 09:06:43

I also have a Kawasaki W-650,, I think theyre beautiful & easy to ride.Not heavy, not too tall, & they dont have ( as Rowboat puts it) too much MUchness to lure a guy in over his head. & I AM easily lured into the deep end & I am not a great swimmer.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
SuperSavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #41 - 05/07/13 at 11:28:20

I have a 2006 s40 with - modded handlebars, fork brace, 6" forward controls, Dyna muff and tach- and a Vulcan 800A. The s40 is definitely lighter and more nimble but the bikes are very similar in geometry. The Vulcan rides much smoother and has more power. I was thinking about a Shadow spirit 1100. Hydraulic valve lash, shaft drive, alloy rims and gobs of torque for about 550Lbs. I love the Vulcan but the chain maintenance is tiresome. Anyone have experience with a shadow spirit 1100?

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #42 - 05/07/13 at 12:18:13

Give me the 800A first...  Wink

I'm looking for another one, the A is one of the best V twins ever made.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 14:28:57

General CategoryThe Cafe › next bike after Savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.