next bike after Savage (Read 739 times)
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Re: next bike after Savage
Reply #15 - 03/19/13 at 17:30:30

Keep the S40 and get a different type of bike also!!!

S40 for around town and local jaunts and an adventure bike for long hauls and some light offroading!   Wink

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Steampowered Boy
YaBB Newbies

Deny me and be
Doomed!!

Glendale, CA
Reply #16 - 03/19/13 at 17:31:17

JOG, are you trying to get me to admit to some sort of hidden agenda?  Maybe "...I want it sparkly enough to attract small children but fast enough to outrun the 'To Catch a Predator' crew...."

If you want to participate, read the original post for the criteria.  If you don't actually have any suggestions for a midsize cruiser which will have a 300-400 mile a day range then just refrain from posting.

Anyone have any experience with the Triumph American to recommend/discredit it?

How other people treat you is their dharma; how you react is yours.
zombiematic digtldecay   IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 03/19/13 at 18:39:33

yamaha 950

IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #18 - 03/19/13 at 19:04:50

Steamy on the subject of the Triumphs,  I prefer the Speedmaster over the America. Performance-wise they are much the same,it's just that the America has too much brightwork for my taste and looks too much like a Hurley Divotson copy. The Triumph is THE bike I'd have if not a Savage. It's not fast and not a true "twisties" scooter but it's stable and heavy enough to be a good interstate cruiser if needed and still a fun ride on the two-lane runs.

Like any scoot,the Triumphs need a little tweaking to make it your own but off the rack you can ride easy 300+ mile days. One friend and his lady did a couple of "Iron Butt" runs last year,him on his HD Soft-tail and her on an older 790cc Triumph Speedmaster. She didn't get as tired or as saddle-sore as he did!

Remember...this opinion and $1.50 will get you a cup of coffee at McD's Wink

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #19 - 03/19/13 at 20:39:34

I apologize, I missed this part

i just want to find a nice, decently powered cruiser that could handle 300 miles a day comfortably.

Cruiser? You want feet out front?
Howzabout dependability & ease of maintenance ?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #20 - 03/20/13 at 08:40:36

Older Kawasaki VN800, any of the 3 flavors. Best metric middleweight twins, bar none. The 900s are just the same engines with belt drive, fuel injection and a slight overbore (and hideous fenders, seats, bars, and shiny bits).

The 800A is a road burner, I blew out the speedometer drive on my 99 once and the speedometer itself once, wide open, needle pegged (140+). But, and it's a big but, mine was putting out close to 60hp at the rear wheel courtesy of a LOT of modifications...

The 800B is a sofa on wheels, doesn't handle at all compared to an A or a Savage since it has same size wheels on both ends. Once you get used to the slower steering response of a short wide tire, 130/90-16 front, it's a very good bike. With a 150/80-16 rear it absorbs road issues beautifully (and you can run wide whites with NO hunting for them).

800 Drifter is the best looking, retains the most value and is the hardest to find. With a 2 up seat it looks horrid, solo seat, especially the high mount version, it looks like a modernized Scout.

You can easily make a Savage a 3-400 mile a day bike with bar, seat and foot peg work. Swap the pegs for floor boards, use a large (K model) sprung solo seat, VS800 Intruder rear shocks, and taller wider handlebar.

That said, if you liked the Virago, get a V-star. Same basic engine, modernized, in a whole lot more comfortable chassis.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
oldsavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

panhandle of florida
Reply #21 - 03/20/13 at 12:31:45

You want to buy a Harley? I'm selling my 2007 RoadGlide with a detachable trike system. I am no longer strong enough to pick it back up after a drop (recovering from a cancer bout, winning it too!). Know what i've purchased for my new touring bike? A 2013 Kawasaki Ninja 300, yuup! a 300...i'm in the process of designing my own tour rack and pack system. This thing is light (385lbs), fuel injected, water cooled, and gets up to 70mpg. LOL go figure, from a "real" biker to a "squid"...NOT...
Also the 300 gets up to 100+mph, not much over but I don't figure i'll need to do that speed, it rides comfortably at 75mph for the interstate, but I won't be traveling much on the interstate.
Think about what you want vrs affordability, durability and feasability...Like the man said... What you want is first, you have figured that out...now figure out which way to do that.
And I hope my comment shed a little bit of light on a "different" angle.
P.S. Keep your current bike! ya never know if your happy with the new choice untill you ride it awhile and you might find you miss the old one!

2002 Suzuki LS650 Savage
2007 Honda 250 Rebel
2007 Harley Davidson RoadGlide
2013 Kawasaki 300 Ninja
  IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #22 - 03/20/13 at 15:04:57

After buying my my first Savage in 1988 & riding it until '95, I bought another in 2001 & a 3rd one in 2005 that I still have. In Nov. 2009 I bought a V-Star 950T for longer rides. The 950 has 16k maintenance intervals & has proven to be a very reliable bike..It now has 24K on it.

Before I bought it I went to every dealer & set on every bike I was interested in. This was the one that fit me best. Price wasn't a consideration at the time. I could have picked a $20,000 bike if I wanted but none of them were what I wanted . The most important thing is to get the machine that suits you.

My buddy bought a C50 4 months before I bought my 950. When it was 15 months old we were on a ride to the Three Twisted Sisters & stopped at Destination Cycles in Kerrvile where he traded for a 950T. The C50 required maintenance every 6k & was a royol pain in the azz to do. He saved $1200 in maintenance costs alone by geting the 950. He has 34,000 miles on his now riding to work every day.

Check the maintenance costs & insurance costs on any bike you are interested in. Bikes under 1000cc get a break, & HDs costs more to insure because they are stolen more often. At least that is what my agent told me when I was shopping for my new bike.

BTW, It only cost me $7 a year to add my wife to my Savage insurance, which has full coverage, & I was told that will be less when they get her MSF certificate. Cool Cool

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Reply #23 - 03/20/13 at 16:54:37

Last December the good wife went with me to the Suzuki dealership. While I was at the parts counter, she walked the showroom and found a dark red over black 2012 C50 she liked the look of. I think she has always thought I looked a little foolish on the S40 (6'2" and 220, me, not her). In short, she offered to buy the bike for me as a Christmas gift. I toyed with the idea but ended up passing for several reasons. One of those reasons was that I have always hated to buy new cars. The depretiation is intense and immediate and it would be the same for the bike.

I learned long ago there are always good deals out there if you are patient. I bought my 2007 S40 with 3,600 miles in February 2012 for $1,500. I just came back from looking at a 2007 C50 with only 2,000 miles on the clock. They have it for sale at a very reasonable price and I have yet to make an offer.

Your assignment Mr. Phelps, is to talk me out of it. This post will self distruct in 5 seconds. I phrased it this way because, unless something ugly jumps up, it will be "Mission Impossible" to talk me out of it. More to come.

Good hunting

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #24 - 03/22/13 at 21:43:56

I've thought about what I want, eventually. My wife and I decided to not ride together until our daughter leaves home. We want to spread out our chances of leaving an orphan. One thing I do notice now is a trend toward a smaller, less comfortable seat for the passenger, even on some nice cruisers. I don't know the ratio, but there are several older folks on here with spouses who crave comfort more than sporty looks. I'm sorry I don't really have a favorite, but I would take the wife along and let her  try out her perch if you intend to ride double.  Smiley  

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #25 - 03/23/13 at 03:54:34

Am gonna say that Yamaha's new 950 Bolt looks like an ideal "next Bike" for an LS650 owner! Cool

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
wheelsoffreedom76
YaBB Newbies

Kansas
Reply #26 - 03/23/13 at 14:10:25

I've got my eye on the Suzuki DR650 and DRZ400, maybe even a DRZ400SM with the funky little tires. Then my S40 would have a bud to hang with in the garage. Maybe later a Ninja 300 or 650.

06 S40
  IP Logged
Rogue_Cheddar
Serious Thumper

Hang up the phone
and drive!

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Reply #27 - 03/25/13 at 08:30:17

I have the Vstar 1300 which is awesome. I'm very partial to the Yamahas. Check out their new 'Bolt' 950 factory bobber, very cool.

'95 Red Savage. Oring grips and pegs, 30" Fishtail muffler,152.5 main, 1/3 spacer mod ,seat lift, Verslagy.
  IP Logged
Steampowered Boy
YaBB Newbies

Deny me and be
Doomed!!

Glendale, CA
Reply #28 - 03/29/13 at 20:54:13

yeah, I have been looking at the Bolt too, it's definitely in the running with the VStar 950 and the Vulcan 900.

I rode someone's Star 1300 recently and it seemed pretty big; the owner, as well as another follow in the group who was on his 1300 Star said that they've owned them for 3 years have spent nearly $4000 in repairs on them and the dealer still can't find out how to fix an issue with the lifters that causes a "ticking" noise when it's warmed up.

It seems to just be on the 1300 though from what Yamaha says.

How other people treat you is their dharma; how you react is yours.
zombiematic digtldecay   IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #29 - 03/31/13 at 05:21:32

WOW that Bolt is cool looking   Cheesy

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 14:25:00

General CategoryThe Cafe › next bike after Savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.