next bike after Savage (Read 739 times)
Steampowered Boy
YaBB Newbies

Deny me and be
Doomed!!

Glendale, CA
next bike after Savage
03/18/13 at 19:17:51

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I couldn't find it; what would you people in the know suggest for a next bike purchase?

I've been riding off and on for 35 years, took a 10 year hiatus then bought an S40 about a year ago because i wanted to refresh my skills on a smaller more forgiving bike.  

Now that I'm feeling fairly confident about my riding skills, I'm looking at an "upgrade".  I am not opposed to any manufacturer nor do I have any kind of 'brand loyalty' that would cause me to choose one over the other; i just want to find a nice, decently powered cruiser that could handle 300 miles a day comfortably.

Since I haven't really ridden anything other than the S40 and a early 90s Virago in the past 20 years, I figured I would appeal to the knowledge of the forum.

thank you in advance for any suggestions.

How other people treat you is their dharma; how you react is yours.
zombiematic digtldecay   IP Logged
oldsavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

panhandle of florida
Re: next bike after Savage
Reply #1 - 03/18/13 at 19:51:33

Honda 1300 or 1800, very 'travel' adaptable (bags/rack and seats) and forgiving because of the shaft drive. I had one and enjoyed it, rode from florida to illinois without much problem, only thing is I was always reaching for sixth gear.
Low center of gravity so you can flat foot it even me at 5'10" comfortably. And they don't cost an arm and a leg like my HD RoadGlide...LOL Shocked

2002 Suzuki LS650 Savage
2007 Honda 250 Rebel
2007 Harley Davidson RoadGlide
2013 Kawasaki 300 Ninja
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 03/18/13 at 21:38:53

Thats like asking what kinda Car to get. Man, What do you Want from a bike? A quick across town scoot? Thats the Savage. A Long run down the slab? Nope, Savage aint top dog for that.
Theres a reason there are so many styles out there. There are people whose riding pleasures are addressed better by one of them more than the others. Just having gotten good at riding what ya have is no reason to ditch it.
If you want a Good, Solid, dependable, No Futssin bike, go hunt up a Kawasaki W-650. I woulda never bought the Guzzi if I had known they existed.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #3 - 03/18/13 at 21:47:19

I've been looking at the Triumph Speedmaster 865cc .   Kinda like a two cylinder Savage with more seat room , same kinda power just more of it.    Oh  , and a 5 gal gas tank to boot ! Wink  

I might just have to get one (soon as the car payments  quit) .

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #4 - 03/19/13 at 02:55:54

My brother used to own a Vulcan VN900 Classic ... rode it for 3 yrs without a single mechanical issue ... comfortable, not too big, not too small ... can handle 300mi days no problem and it won't break the bank ... especially if you can find a decent pre-owned one.

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #5 - 03/19/13 at 04:24:42

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 03/18/13 at 21:38:53:
If you want a Good, Solid, dependable, No Futssin bike, go hunt up a Kawasaki W-650. I woulda never bought the Guzzi if I had known they existed.

Now that's a sweet lookin' ride!

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #6 - 03/19/13 at 04:55:09

Yea I wish they would bring the W-650 or any of the versions of it back to the states! Two years of them here didn't leave many to be had  =/

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Reply #7 - 03/19/13 at 07:12:10

It all depends on what you want.

After a 300 mi day trip with friends, my Savage kept up fine with the other bikes, but I wanted something that wasn't quite so cramped for my 6', 275lbs.  I wanted somthing still relatively light weight, since most of my riding is short rides both in and out of town.  I didn't want a large, heavy, big displacement roadburner.  My budget for motorcycle fun is small, so cost was a factor.  Also, it needed to be relatively simple from a mechanical perspective so I could still do my own maintenance.

I ended up with an older ('98) Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic.  Single carb v-twin, 18k miles, $3000.

So far, it is fitting all my my needs.

IP Logged
dinsdale

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ottawa, Canada
Reply #8 - 03/19/13 at 08:08:44

ToesNose wrote on 03/19/13 at 04:55:09:
Yea I wish they would bring the W-650 or any of the versions of it back to the states! Two years of them here didn't leave many to be had  =/

They have the W800 now but in Europe only.
Sad

Thinking Triumph Thruxton in a year or two for myself if they don't bring the W in.
My neighbour has a W650. Fun bike.

IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #9 - 03/19/13 at 09:04:20

My other bike was a Suzuki Burgman 650 scooter for long hauls. I have since traded the Burgman in for a Yamaha V Star 1100 for my long trips. I feel more comfortable putting a trike kit or side car on the V Star versus on the Burgman. My S40 is still my short trip/carve up the back roads bike.

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #10 - 03/19/13 at 10:18:48

I still have my S40 (for now) and also have a C50. I like the C50 except that it came with a suzuki seat. I put a Mustang seat on but haven't had a chance to ride yet. 12" of fresh snow today. I found a new (still in the crate) 2009 C50 in 2011 from the dealer for $5000.00 out the door. Might be a good idea to see if any of the dealers in your area have any leftovers in the warehouse.

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
sjaskow - FSO

Frozen Tundra of MN
Reply #11 - 03/19/13 at 10:23:28

I'm think of a Honda CTX 700N http://powersports.honda.com/2014/ctx700n.aspx for my next one.  I considered a NC700X which has gotten good reviews but I was a little wary of the 32" seat height since I have a wonky knee.  The CTX700N has a 28" which is only slightly taller than the S40.

2012 Victory Vision - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/vision
2006 Suzuki S40 - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/S40
WWW   IP Logged
Steampowered Boy
YaBB Newbies

Deny me and be
Doomed!!

Glendale, CA
Reply #12 - 03/19/13 at 16:13:51

I'm thinking either the Vulcan 900, V-Star 950 or maybe a Boulevard C50 thus far.  Any opinions?  Should I go bigger so I don't wish in a few years for more power?

How other people treat you is their dharma; how you react is yours.
zombiematic digtldecay   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 03/19/13 at 16:40:19

It
REALLY
Depends
on
WHAT
YOU
WANT
to
do.

Mite I suggest a good dirt bike? No? Why not? Because you arent interested in dirt riding?

Why do you think youll lose interest in your bike?>
Why will you need More POwer in 3 years?
Do you want raw power? Or do you want some particular kind of riding experience you can put into words?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #14 - 03/19/13 at 17:23:46

Get a Harley. Real bikers have Harleys.  Grin Shocked Roll Eyes Huh

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print