ColorRite Touch up Pens (Read 90 times)
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
ColorRite Touch up Pens
03/18/13 at 06:28:00

I have a question or two for the paint and body guys out there. When I bought the bike, it had been dropped and has a very shallow egg sized depression in the side of the tank. The paint is scratched in five places down to the metal. The edges of the scratches are rough to the touch and there is significant fine line, shallow scratching over the area of the depression. The bike is black.

I purchased the primer, base color, and clear coat pens but have never had the nerve to use them and have the area covered up with a reflective decal of the Texas flag (My fellow native Texans, you may replace your hats and have a seat now).

Is possible to use a progression of finer sandpaper to remove the rough edges and not remove the clear coat in the adjacent area?

If so, what grits? Followed by rubbing compound?

Has anyone used the paint pens with any success?

Thanks in advance. I am not looking to make it a show piece, just to repair the damaged paint without causing any more.

Good hunting

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: ColorRite Touch up Pens
Reply #1 - 03/18/13 at 08:54:39

IMO, touch up paints real purpose is to rust proof a damaged area with a color that doesnt contrast with the background. TRying to do a factory paint job in a wound & make it all look better is, of course, what every starry eyed owner of bent stuff Wants desperately. If you have high points with broken paint, then you can buff that off on the edge of the ridge. A few cheap emory boards from wherever,, that way, you can focus the sanding on the top edge of the peak & stay off of everything else.
IF there is any rust started, at all, then Not stopping it is a bad idea. A little dab of Jasco ( get a qt for $8.00 / Kelly Moore, liquid, not gel). Whether you can see rust or not, Id do it. Cheap insurance. Wipe it on, leave it a coupla hours, wipe it off, do the Map Pencil thing,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #2 - 03/19/13 at 04:47:57

I totally agree with JOG, stop any rust in it's tracks!

As for the effectiveness of touch up paint pens, they are truely meant for small scratches and scrapes. An egg sized area is a good size, it would take alot of time and work to use a touch up pen and get anywhere near stock paint results. It will be even more difficult if it's the Pearl Nebular Black  instead of standard black.  Touch up pens are $15 if you want to do it on the cheap and still have it look good I would go for a rattle can for $33 and spray the entire tank after addressing the damage  Wink

For prepping the area sanding, filling the shallow egg area and such, there are many videos on youtube to help walk you through, if you've never done it before it's deffinately better to see how it's done then just get an explination.

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #3 - 03/19/13 at 06:32:42

Black is almost impossible to touch up. If it is a solid black, you can do it if you are very careful and very patient.

Egg sized dent? If all the paint damage is within the dent area, go for it. A bit more tricky than on a standard panel, but, you already have a work around... if you don't like the paint results, apply another decal. Been there, my bike fell onto a moving trailer tire one day in 2000 (strap broke), serious tank dent (lost about a quart and a half of capacity serious). Cleaned it, mudded it, repainted the tank (and learned real fast why color rite is referred to as color wrong by paint shops), said screw it and added heavy vinyl decals. They lasted until I had to respray it, orange fades pretty fast, repainted, re-decaled, stepson laid it over holing the tank in 2005...  Roll Eyes

You don't have anything to lose by trying to repair it. The metal needs something on it to seal it off from the elements.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 14:28:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › ColorRite Touch up Pens

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.