Send Topic Print
tire pressure (Read 389 times)
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
tire pressure
03/16/13 at 17:02:10

I filled my rear tire , by mistake to 46psi and rode for a couple miles.Could it have blown out,or is that not that bad? thanks

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: tire pressure
Reply #1 - 03/16/13 at 18:11:06

It's nothing...  80 or 100psi might be another story...
46 is just firm...

I've started running mine a little low... (in the 20's)...
roads here are so bad,.. it just really helps absorb the shocks...
It's almost worse than off-roading... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #2 - 03/16/13 at 19:18:06

Serowbot wrote on 03/16/13 at 18:11:06:
It's nothing...  80 or 100psi might be another story...
46 is just firm...

I've started running mine a little low... (in the 20's)...
roads here are so bad,.. it just really helps absorb the shocks...
It's almost worse than off-roading... Grin...

Truth.  Good.

Also, keep in mind the pressure number on the sidewall means less than nothing.  It is one of those mindless nanny-state things.

The numbers that are useful, at least to start off with, are the numbers in the manual and on the bike itself.

From those numbers, go higher if you want a rougher ride and longer tread life and cooler running tires,.... go lower if you want more traction in some situations, a softer ride, less tread life, and sidewall flex (with pressures really low) that will heat up the tires and weaken the sidewalls.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #3 - 03/16/13 at 20:53:17

I tend to run my tires within 5 psi of sidewall max. 46 psi would be in the 10% over category for well made mc tires. You're fine, just bleed it down to around 40 psi for better response to steering inputs versus the stock recommendation.

The bike manufacturers have you run at 2/3-3/4 max inflation to compensate for... get this... the compromise shocks they install at the factory.  Grin

With the factory pressures my 98 Savage always felt like it wallowed through corners instead of tracking through corners. Running how I have for the last decade, it actually is capable of pretty decent entry/exit speeds.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 03/16/13 at 22:20:31

I've actually wondered about this, recently...

I know,.. proper tire inflation is important...
... but,... like I said,... I'm runnin'  low, on purpose, because the roads here, suck!...
... but,...
Running by the rulebook (even though, I do like to carve the canyons),... has given me consistent, center wear... ... and I wonder, even with the additional heat, and friction,... if I won't get more miles by running a little low, and having the addition tread contact?...

I may have just talked myself into believing this theory... Grin...
... but, even if it costs me few,... it is way more comfy,.. and there is the added traction...
I'm 140lbs wet,... (the bike don't know I'm on there)(and my bike is at least 50lbs underweight)...
So, I'm running... 450 or 460lbs, fully loaded...

I've actually ridden' for weeks with less than 15lbs of air, and not noticed...  Embarrassed...

PS... an overinflated tire, will pop a lot easier, on a hard edge... like a curb, or jagged rock, etc...

I'm rambin' again... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #5 - 03/17/13 at 02:59:21

At 240# plus the bike, the stock inflation pressure always seemed low.

My small truck is the same way, stock inflation it's all over the road, tires inflated to 40 psi it steers a whole lot better. My full sized truck calls for 36 psi f/r, handles a lot better with the tires at 50 psi... manual steering.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #6 - 03/17/13 at 07:26:54

My bike was feeling kinda scary in turns. Like I slip a little. I finally checked the air pressure and they were at 15 and 16. Filled them up to 36 each and it feels normal again.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #7 - 03/18/13 at 00:58:34

Serowbot, A low tire pressure will eventually cause "Blocking", a condition where you can run your hand smothly in one direction but it hangs up on the tread when rubbed in the opposite direction. This is tire wear that is perpendicular to the tread, not along it. Each section of tread wears from front to back or vice versa. A tire is constructed to push against obstacles from the inside out, so more pressure prevents tire damage better than one with a saggy sidewall. An over inflated tire will wear the tread in the center and underinflation will cause excess wear on the outsides of the tread. Low inflation also gives a mushy "push" through curves. Since our tires have such a low amount of air, unlike a car, a few pounds make a big difference in handling. I know you are experienced enough to find a happy medium between comfor and safety. As for the bad roads, most states have them, so I can relate.  Smiley

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 03/18/13 at 04:42:03

Too low of tire pressure can also allow the tube to pinch between the road and rim when you hit a pothole or something with an abrubt edge.  Trials motocycles only run 4 pounds of air in the rear tire and they have switched to tubless tires to eliminate the pinching of the tube at the rim.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #9 - 03/18/13 at 09:50:54

Also to be considered is the fuel economy associated with high/low tire pressures.

Generally, higher pressures will give better fuel economy, whereas lower pressures will give you better grip. Each to a certain point in a given situation, mind you. Running at 100 psi isn't going to give you fantastic MPG just like running at 0 isn't going to make your tires grip like racing slicks on a hot day.

I generally keep my tires between 30 and 40, but as long as I don't notice them feeling different, I don't check tire pressure more often than oil changes. that might not be the best rule to follow though....

You should see what tires are initially "inflated" to to get them seated on the rim. a LOT more than 46psi. of course, the tire being mounted isn't on a bike going 60mph hitting a pothole with a sizeable adult riding....

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #10 - 03/18/13 at 10:33:37

I watched a guy go down ... due to low tire pressure. The "theory" was everything was fine till we hit some really nice S curves and under that sidways load the front "rolled" ... wobble wobble.. down he went.

I now have a very small pancake air pump right next to the bike with the tire air chuck and pressure guage.. ZERO excuss not to check and correct. I put the pressure to side wall spec, which seems mighty stiff for our roads, but meh.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #11 - 03/18/13 at 16:36:45

WD wrote on 03/16/13 at 20:53:17:
I tend to run my tires within 5 psi of sidewall max. 46 psi would be in the 10% over category for well made mc tires. You're fine, just bleed it down to around 40 psi for better response to steering inputs versus the stock recommendation.

The bike manufacturers have you run at 2/3-3/4 max inflation to compensate for... get this... the compromise shocks they install at the factory.  Grin

With the factory pressures my 98 Savage always felt like it wallowed through corners instead of tracking through corners. Running how I have for the last decade, it actually is capable of pretty decent entry/exit speeds.

The sidewall numbers are arbitrary fabrications that have nothing to do wih actual usage.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #12 - 03/18/13 at 16:40:35

Pine wrote on 03/18/13 at 10:33:37:
I watched a guy go down ... due to low tire pressure. The "theory" was everything was fine till we hit some really nice S curves and under that sidways load the front "rolled" ... wobble wobble.. down he went.

I now have a very small pancake air pump right next to the bike with the tire air chuck and pressure guage.. ZERO excuss not to check and correct. I put the pressure to side wall spec, which seems mighty stiff for our roads, but meh.

The number on the sidewall is not a spec.  It is an arbitrary number pulled out of some Fed's ass.  It means nothing.  Nothing.  If you feel like you want to use some sort of "spec" then use the numbers printed on the bike or in the manual,.. then go from there as you desire.  At least the numbers printed on the bike are pulled out of an engineer's ass.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 03/19/13 at 05:00:45

Gyrobob wrote on 03/18/13 at 16:36:45:
WD wrote on 03/16/13 at 20:53:17:

The sidewall numbers are arbitrary fabrications that have nothing to do wih actual usage.

The numbers on the sidewal do have some meaning.....It is the pressure that should be in the tire at the rated maximum load.  If you have less of a load than the pressure should be reduced as well.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #14 - 03/19/13 at 10:55:47

what about on a car, should you go by the door sticker ,even if you have replaced your tires with another brand?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 16:33:58

General CategoryThe Cafe › tire pressure

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.