YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: tire pressure
Reply #15 - 03/19/13 at 11:23:45

rl153 wrote on 03/19/13 at 10:55:47:
what about on a car, should you go by the door sticker ,even if you have replaced your tires with another brand?

Yup,...  needed tire pressure is based on weight...  same tires on two different cars will require different pressures...

A #300 pound rider on a Savage should have a little more air in his tires, than a #100 pound rider...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #16 - 03/19/13 at 12:36:17

what about on a car, should you go by the door sticker ,even if you have replaced your tires with another brand?

No. Definitely not. The best way to determine the correct air pressure in a car is to draw a line across the tire with a piece of chalk and move the vehicle a short distance. Add or release air until the chalk line wears evenly. You may actually find for optimum tire wear and traction all four tires may have different pressures.

edit: I must admit, I only did this for my Jeep. My car gets 36 psi cold in all 4 regardless of the tire brand. Call it laziness.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #17 - 03/19/13 at 13:34:58

Greg wrote on 03/19/13 at 12:36:17:

No. Definitely not. The best way to determine the correct air pressure in a car is to draw a line across the tire with a piece of chalk and move the vehicle a short distance. Add or release air until the chalk line wears evenly. You may actually find for optimum tire wear and traction all four tires may have different pressures.

edit: I must admit, I only did this for my Jeep. My car gets 36 psi cold in all 4 regardless of the tire brand. Call it laziness.

Yup this is the only way to correctly set the pressure that I know of.  I do this for all my 4 wheeled vehicles when they get new tires and most of the time it's different then what the tires were on before even if it was the same brand/model tire.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #18 - 03/19/13 at 13:42:42

The chalk idea seems good,how far do you go to see the wear?. Also,I have read that you should fill the tires 10% less than the max tire pressure, which is different on some tires.

IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #19 - 03/19/13 at 14:09:38

I would just roll down the driveway. You don't want it to disappear, just see what is going on. Less than 100 feet.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #20 - 03/19/13 at 14:17:56

on most surfaces it just takes a few revolutions of the tire to get a good wear line to show on the fresh chalk

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #21 - 03/19/13 at 16:17:15

rfw2003 wrote on 03/19/13 at 14:17:56:
on most surfaces it just takes a few revolutions of the tire to get a good wear line to show on the fresh chalk

You are correct. I guess my finger did a double tap. It should have read 10 feet.  Embarrassed

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #22 - 03/27/13 at 05:16:52

Dave wrote on 03/19/13 at 05:00:45:
Gyrobob wrote on 03/18/13 at 16:36:45:
WD wrote on 03/16/13 at 20:53:17:

The sidewall numbers are arbitrary fabrications that have nothing to do wih actual usage.

The numbers on the sidewal do have some meaning.....It is the pressure that should be in the tire at the rated maximum load.  If you have less of a load than the pressure should be reduced as well.

Wrong.  That "rated maximum load" is not an engineer's number, it is a bureaucrat's number.  The correct tire pressure is whatever work best under usage, and the numbers in the manual, or on the stickers the feds require on the vehicle are much closer to reasonable.  The bureaucrat's number is usually way higher than what would be a typical load, and the pressure they assign to it makes the tire rock hard.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #23 - 03/27/13 at 09:19:24

Gyrobob wrote on 03/27/13 at 05:16:52:
Dave wrote on 03/19/13 at 05:00:45:
Gyrobob wrote on 03/18/13 at 16:36:45:
WD wrote on 03/16/13 at 20:53:17:

The sidewall numbers are arbitrary fabrications that have nothing to do wih actual usage.

The numbers on the sidewal do have some meaning.....It is the pressure that should be in the tire at the rated maximum load.  If you have less of a load than the pressure should be reduced as well.

Wrong.  That "rated maximum load" is not an engineer's number, it is a bureaucrat's number.  The correct tire pressure is whatever work best under usage, and the numbers in the manual, or on the stickers the feds require on the vehicle are much closer to reasonable.  The bureaucrat's number is usually way higher than what would be a typical load, and the pressure they assign to it makes the tire rock hard.

GYROBOB......This might just be a topic you and I aren't going to agree on.......I am not going to believe the connection of the sidewall tire pressure and a bureaucrat?  I do believe that it is necessary for some labeling of the tire with a maximum load and a maximum pressure - or else users won't have a clue what they can or can't do with that tire.  I just prefer to believe those numbers are etablished by engineers and not politicians.

Here is some supporting data from one knowledgable source....which was not written by a Bureaucrat.  And just about every tire manufacturer or distributor states that the pressure listed on the tire is the recommended pressure at the maximum load rating of the tire.  And just about everyone that monkeys around with cars or motorcycle knows that this is not the pressure to use when adjusting your tire pressure.

Every vehicle should have a manufacturer recommended tire inflation value, usually on a sticker on the driver's side door jamb. This figure is determined by the manufacturer based upon the vehicles stock weight distribution, wheel and tire size. This is probably the best value to use if it applies. However, if you have changed wheels, tires, or weight significantly, this number may not be appropriate. Also, it is sometimes unclear as to what were the assumptions used to determine those pressures. For example on a pickup or SUV, they often list a much higher rear than front tire pressure. This is likely a pressure setting at the maximum vehicle load ratingm so on a 1/2 ton pickup, for example, thise would be with approx. 1000 lbs. or cargo in the bed. With little or no bed load, this "factory" tire pressure may be too high, so take those numbers with a grain of salt.

Tires, too, come with manufacturer-specified inflation specifications. These, however, are not vehicle specific, but rather refer to the maximum inflation pressure the tire can handle in relation to its maximum load carrying capacity. For example, assume you have a light truck tire with a 2500 pound maximum load rating at 50 PSI air pressure. Lets say there are four of these tires mounted on a 5000 pound vehicle (with 50/50 weight distribution), so the per-tire load is 1250 pounds (5000/4). Clearly, the tire is nowhere near its maximum load, in fact it is at 1/2 load in this case. A case could be made for inflating the tire to 1/2 its maximum pressure (25 PSI in this case) based upon the load on the tire.

Actually, while there is a fairly linear relationship between a tire's inflation pressure and its load carrying capacity, it is simply not a straight line from 0 to the maximum load. I did a least-squares-fit analysis on some pressure vs. load data for a series of agricultural tires and found that the following factors seem to fit the data quite well:
mL = maximum tire Load (lbs)
mI = maximum tire Inflation (psi)
L = the actual load on the tire (lbs)
L = 0.21*mL + (0.79*mL/mI)*inflation

Here is the link for the source of the above....You can find more by just searching the internet.
http://www.4crawler.com/Diesel/Tires.shtml#ProperInflation

« Last Edit: 03/27/13 at 10:51:47 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #24 - 03/27/13 at 09:44:17

OHHH the obviousness! Its never even occurred to me that there could be a way to "see" the inflation on a tire. Chalk! Coolniss! & Now, Im wondering, what would happen if a guy wet the cement? No chalk, just looking at how the tire presses the water away? I know for sure you can use water on cement to check for some types of frame damage on a car. Ive done that. Now? Im gettin some chalk, man,, thanks guys.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #25 - 03/27/13 at 10:44:13

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 03/27/13 at 09:44:17:
OHHH the obviousness! Its never even occurred to me that there could be a way to "see" the inflation on a tire. Chalk! Coolniss! & Now, Im wondering, what would happen if a guy wet the cement? No chalk, just looking at how the tire presses the water away? I know for sure you can use water on cement to check for some types of frame damage on a car. Ive done that. Now? Im gettin some chalk, man,, thanks guys.

When I was autocrossing we would use white shoe polish.  We were not adjusting for even tire wear - we were looking to see how far the tire would roll over onto the sidewall.  The idea was to adjust the tire pressure so that the tire would just barely stay within the tread and not roll too far over onto the edge or sidewall - this would give the most useable footprint area without damaging the sidewalls.  If you put too much air in the tread contact patch is reduced and the traction would suffer.

If you have some leftover white shoe polish from your Pat Boone look alike days......you might try that!    

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #26 - 03/29/13 at 04:46:36

No one in his right mind would ever operate a motorcycle tire based on the sidewall pressure anyway,.. so discussing sidewall pressures is mootish.  Pretty much the same with cage tires.

The "rated maximum pressure" shown on the sidewalls is a worthless number.  Operate any vehicle at those tire pressures and it will feel like there are no tires at all, just metal wheels contacting the road.  The tires will wear out in the middle inch or two of the tread in short order,... and the traction situation will scare you.

If you are too lazy or just don't understand all this, and you want to use someone else's numbers, use the vehicle manufacturer's numbers in the vehicle owners manual which usually are the same numbers on a sticker placed somewhere on the vehicle.  They are closer to reality.

The most sensible way to set tire pressure from a wear and performance standpoint is to use some of the suggestions in previous comments that use various methods find out what actually works.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #27 - 03/29/13 at 18:50:11

I alway look at the sidewall pressure on a tire as a starting point, once set you go out and run the bike, car, truck as you plan to drive. If it doesn't seem right jack the pressures around and try it again. How it handles is a personal choice which can be adjusted by fine tuning tire pressure.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #28 - 03/29/13 at 20:37:46

Serowbot wrote on 03/19/13 at 11:23:45:

Yup,...  needed tire pressure is based on weight...  same tires on two different cars will require different pressures...

A #300 pound rider on a Savage should have a little more air in his tires, than a #100 pound rider...

What approximately would you think the pressure for the front tire be for someone closer to 270?

RIP!! 01/2012-09/2016 S40 Boulevard, Raptor Pet, Rotella T6 Synth, Verslavy CC Tensioner -- You left too soon.
  IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #29 - 03/29/13 at 20:44:48

MAXIMUM tire pressure is the highest pressure that the engineers at the tire company have determined is safe to operate. (As per government mandate)  It is best to start with the vehicle manufacturer's recommendation, and go up as load increases.  If you find yourself going past the weight or psi on the sidewall, then you need to either reduce your load, or upgrade to a tire with a higher load rating.  In other words, it's a more precise way to measure load ratings, improve safety, and protect the tire company from people installing the wrong tires on their rigs.  Sorry no bureaucrats were implicated in this post. Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 16:40:38

General CategoryThe Cafe › tire pressure

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.