Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Can't Start Bike! Need help (Read 350 times)
Michael Ralph
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Can't Start Bike! Need help
Reply #15 - 03/17/13 at 09:39:17

Ok so the starter fluid yielded no results, so I took of the gas tank and cleaned the carb

I did get a Harley muffler and replaced the factory jets with lances jet kit only using the jets annotated on the progressive carb tuning guide on this forum, I used the 1st step category for having a Harley or k and n filter, those jets weren't clogged when I pulled them out but I did do a good cleaning of the carb, I was curious about the 2 jets up by the diaphragm if those should be changed also with any of the jets provided in lances kit.

Also I'm going to run to the store to replace the spark plug since I have the tank off, the plug that was in it was an nkg dpr8ea 9. Any other suggestions on a better plug for this bike before I swap it out?

Note I did test the spark plug again and twisted up the lead to see if it was bending wile mounted keeping the spark plug from igniting, which it had no problems

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #16 - 03/17/13 at 10:12:42

That's the correct plug.

If you are getting a nice blue spark when you test the plug outside of the head, and the bike did not attempt to fire when you squirted the starting fluid into the intake the next thing to check is compression. Do you have a compression tester?

Fooling with the carb is not going to solve your problem. If the problem was the carb the engine would have started and run for a few seconds on the starting fluid.

How exactly did you test the plug?

IP Logged
Michael Ralph
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 03/17/13 at 10:35:22

To test the spark I just took the plug out, grounded on the block with the lead attached and saw a nice blue spark. I do not have a compression tester but possible could get my hands on one, is that something difficult to do?

IP Logged
Michael Ralph
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 03/17/13 at 10:48:02

Ok so I put the new spark plug in, didn't see much difference if there was any in spark, sprayed a half second squirt of starter fluid in the intake where the carb was, and got it to ignite it, a quick flame out the intake and that initial feel like the bike could start, obviously it couldn't with out fuel

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #19 - 03/17/13 at 11:14:18

To check compression you put the gauge in the spark plug hole - some of them have threads like a plug so you can screw them in, some just have a rubber tip that you press into the hole.

Then spin the engine for a few seconds with the starter and read the gauge. Should be somewhere between 140-200 psi. If it's not in that range there is a mechanical problem in the motor.

HOWEVER; 90% of the time when an engine won't run the problem is spark or fuel. Was the carb float bowl full of fuel when you took it off ? And you did check that gas is flowing from the petcock into the carb.

IP Logged
Michael Ralph
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 03/17/13 at 12:48:04

Well it's running. Not sure exactly what the problem was, but when I test drove it over 60, it was boggy and lost power, now I'm not sure if that's an idle mixture screw, spacer mod, pilot or main jet change, but could I get a good idea where to look first?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #21 - 03/17/13 at 12:55:00

Idle mix,.. will only affect idle...
I'd put the pilot jet back to stock,.. and the spacer if possible... then, try it from there...
...(What's yer' main?... #150?...)... we are tending to over-jet...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #22 - 03/17/13 at 13:24:36

MR, did you ever state which petcock you have??? Huh

Absolutely need to know this or we're wastiing time..... Your problems may be the petcock. Roll Eyes

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #23 - 03/17/13 at 16:34:21

+1 on the vac petcock for being known for doing that sort of stuff at full speed AND for making the bike a biatch to start when it refuses to flow any gas.

Here is the test .....        http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1251932429/1

My 25 cents is on the Infamous Poorly Designed Vac Petcock for being the whole mess the whole time (providing he has one that is).    

Wattaya say boys?

Any takers ???

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #24 - 03/17/13 at 16:49:52

Quote:
Any takers ???

I'm in. I think my suggestion that he check the petcock was about the third reply to the original question.

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #25 - 03/17/13 at 17:18:26

there is also another possibility, even though he said he used a stabilizer in the fuel.   If the tank wasn't completely full since this bike has sat since Oct. Condensation and such would have definitely built up in the tank. Water would have been on the bottom of the tank and that is what he would have been trying to start the bike with.  After pulling the carb and all the attempts to start it he got most of the water out that was on the bottom of the tank, so this is why it is now starting, but still running like crap because the fuel is still 5 months old and needs replacing.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Michael Ralph
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 03/18/13 at 02:13:59

Good news is that the bike is running strong, stock spacer and pilot jet in carb, put a 147.5 main in and it doesn't big at all, sure ill have to change something when it's 50 degrees warmer out. I put fresh fuel in the tank, new spark plug, and recleaned carb all at once but I think it was just the spark plug, even though I saw a good blue spark my uncle out up a good point that under compression the spark plug may not have been working, which would be why whn I sprayed the starter fluid directly in the chamber it didn't ignite before like it did when I switched out the plug. U learn something new everyday, but thanks for the help savage community

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #27 - 03/18/13 at 08:42:18

Glad ytou got it, REAL glad I was wrong,
& Ill never understand why a plug would act different under compression, I just know sometimes they do,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #28 - 03/18/13 at 08:57:30

This is the second bike on here that I'm aware of where a "running like crap" problem turned out to be a spark plug that didn't seem to have anything wrong with it, wasn't firing right, and a new plug solved the problem.

NGK plug quality going downhill?

Or is the ignition system on our bikes not all that great?

Suzuki says change it every 7500 miles. Maybe they know something.

Lots of cars  nowdays have plug replacement intervals of 30, 60 and 100 thousand miles. And I think that's mostly so the doggone things will actually unscrew after being in for so long, not 'cause the plugs quit firing.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #29 - 03/18/13 at 09:15:19

oldNslow wrote on 03/18/13 at 08:57:30:
Suzuki says change it every 7500 miles. Maybe they know something.

Lots of cars  nowdays have plug replacement intervals of 30, 60 and 100 thousand miles. And I think that's mostly so the doggone things will actually unscrew after being in for so long, not 'cause the plugs quit firing.

Several things have changed in modern cars that allow spark plugs to last a long time....some of them don't apply to the Savage.
1)  Computer/Oxygen Sensor operated fuel systems precisely control fuel mixture.
2).  No lead in fuel.
3)  Spark plug tips are now made form exotic metals that are very durable and resist the rounding off that old conventional plugs did.  Round electrodes make poor spark.

Our Savage has a choke/throttle enrichment lever, a primitive carb, and a conventional spark plug......we don't get the high mileage out of our plugs.

Several times I have suggested that there was no need to buy an exotic spark plug for our engine - it was not going to make any more HP than a stock plug.  When I found out that the exotic plugs are only a couple of bucks more than a stock plug.......I changed my mind and I installed an NGK Iridium.....it won't hurt anything....but I am not sure if it will help anything either.  I would not think there is any reason to buy a $ 15.00 double or quadruple electrode plug!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 20:38:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Can't Start Bike! Need help

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.