Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Can't Start Bike! Need help (Read 350 times)
Michael Ralph
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Can't Start Bike! Need help
03/16/13 at 08:09:06

So it has been a long time since I have been on these forums, but im having a problem with my bike I can't seem to figure out.

I will crank and crank my bike but it will start

This is all I know so far:

1. The carburetor is receiving fuel
2. The spark plug is getting spark
3. All electrical is 100% OK from switches to wires to plugs

Now I don't fully understand everything about a carburetor but it would be useful if someone could explain how each function works on it but this is what I think I already know, correct me if im wrong.

Fuel is pumped into float bowl, during start fuel is sucked through the PILOT JET? into the upper portion where air flows to engine, when throttle is opened more then it sucks through main and pilot jet. I think this is achieved when you open throttle and allow more air to the engine, the diaphragm reacts to the increased vacuum and pulls the needle from blocking fuel from going through the main jet.

That is based off of part blowouts but please explain it if I'm wrong, Im thinking since it doesn't want to start then fuel must not be passing through the pilot jet.

Note: I noticed after trying to start a hundred times, when I checked the spark plug it didn't seem that the cylinder was greatly flooded with fuel like I would expect it to do after so many failed start attempts.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Can't Start Bike! Need help
Reply #1 - 03/16/13 at 08:25:33

Clarify your problem please.  

We are having to guess at where you are right now, how much you have modified your bike, etc.

Tell us your starting point at this time.   Describe your bike w/mods, etc.   Will your bike really start as you say, or what is the problem that you are having if the bike does start OK?

1.  do you have a tank full of fresh gasoline?
2.  do you have a FULLY CHARGED BATTERY that is showing over 12.6 volts when checked after cranking for a second or two.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #2 - 03/16/13 at 09:20:07

Michael R - the info Oldfeller request will help part the fog tremendously, but as he suggests, freshness of fuel and battery are tres important.  Best of luck - Spring comes soon. Wink

IP Logged
Michael Ralph
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 03/16/13 at 10:10:43

Battery is fine, it cranks like nothing although I had to hook it to a charger after trying to crank it about 20 times. I live in New York but I have it in a heated garage at about 50 degrees, started a couple months ago and it was boggy, now it won't start anymore. Fresh fuel was put in October.

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #4 - 03/16/13 at 10:56:49

Quote:
1. The carburetor is receiving fuel

Are you sure?
If you  have a stock petcock,turn it to PRIME,(or ON if you have a raptor)  disconnect the fuel line at the carb and make sure fuel is running out of the hose.

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #5 - 03/16/13 at 11:45:08

Michael Ralph wrote on 03/16/13 at 10:10:43:
Battery is fine, it cranks like nothing although I had to hook it to a charger after trying to crank it about 20 times. I live in New York but I have it in a heated garage at about 50 degrees, started a couple months ago and it was boggy, now it won't start anymore. Fresh fuel was put in October.

5 month old fuel?  did you use a stabilizer with it?   if not I'm guessing your gonna need to drain the fuel and clean the carb.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #6 - 03/16/13 at 13:22:22

MR,  you are talking, but not saying anything really.  

"cranking like nothing" has no meaning, saying that your battery holds 12.8 volts after a full charge and cranking for 3 seconds has a lot of meaning.

Your ignition box (the infamous black box) will not fire the spark plug at all if the voltage is as low as 11 volts after this quick test procedure.  11 volts will however crank the bike over fairly quickly at this voltage, which can cause folks to think they have a "mystery problem" with their bike when all it really is a poorly charged battery.

Charge your battery up all the way with a 2 amp charger.  About 8 hrs of charge time is all you need.   Always have a fully charged battery and known good gasoline when doing any test procedure.

You will need a volt/ohm meter to do some of these simple tests.  You do have one, right?  If not, please tell us now.

Next, living up north, do you have a can of ether (quick starting fluid) laying around?   There is a very quick test you can do with a can of ether that will tell you if the problem is electrical or carburetor based.

Finally -- did you take your carburetor apart earlier by any chance?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
JRLeathercraft

I'm not a biker, I
just own one.

Reply #7 - 03/16/13 at 15:30:27

I live in colorado and it seems cleaning the carb is an annual thing.

Previously, when I lived in Texas and Lousisana I never ever cleaned out the carb on any bike, so I'm guess it is the cold and oxygen.

If  you have about 4 hours and a few tools, try cleaning the carb.

I just did and it worked and my situation was similar.

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #8 - 03/16/13 at 20:55:22

Michael Ralph wrote on 03/16/13 at 08:09:06:
....The spark plug is getting spark....

Hi Michael,

Please describe the test that you used to determine the fact that you had good spark.

TIA!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Michael Ralph
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 03/16/13 at 21:03:51

Thanks for the replies

The battery right now is at 12.8 volts and only drops down to 12.1 after hitting starter. I have taken apart the carb and cleaned before, actually I did this back in August when I had to replace that plug in the head that tends to leak. When I said cranking like nothin I meant that il there is no hesitation and it has a strong crank to it leaving out any possibility of a decompression solenoid or controller. I did use fuel stabilizer.

I do have starting fluid

Sometime soon I am going to replace the fuel, and clean the carb out again and check for any defects as a first step towards this

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 03/16/13 at 21:04:20

Love it, stomp up in here & scream for help & what are the symptoms? )Purely & simply, magic. Its a Spinin right on & its got Gas & its gettin spark,, well,, unless theres no air it otta be runnin.. Perhaps the rose colored glasses the OP is looking thru need adjusted.
How about a more scientific description of your troubleshooting methods, so we can know what you really know ? Theres way too much room in that post for important info to be overlooked.

How old is the gas? Did ya drain the bowl? Did ya try prime? Have ya used anything to make it fire, like ether?
Its really about time for another troll attack,, this has all the earmarks.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #11 - 03/16/13 at 21:59:33

Mike seems to know what "cranking" means...
We are skeptical,.. because so many people use the term to describe...  most anything that don't make the bike start...Grin...
...("cranking"... should mean,... the starter motor is turning the engine at good speed)...
...but,.. gettin' spark, gettin' fuel?...
... sounds like the fuel is flowing to the carb...  but,.. not, gettin' to the engine...
I think you're on the right track... with a clogged pilot...
... and, as you must know already... if the pilot is clogged...  everything in there got the same gas treatment...
It's cleanin' time...   Wink...

....(next season... try a full to the top tank,.. with some Sta-Bil added... (full tank will prevent condensation, and hopefully,... Sta-bil will prevent the fuel from becoming varnish)... (fill up, and run it  just a couple of miles to get the Sta-bil into the float bowl and jets... then park, and pray... all winter...
... also,.. it don't hurt, to roll the bike forward, and backerds' every couple of weeks,... to prevent flat spots on the tires...

Pffft!... I live is Az... but, I do end up with bikes sitting for a while...
Embarrassed...

« Last Edit: 03/16/13 at 22:59:47 by Serowbot »  

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #12 - 03/17/13 at 05:18:42

So, you got a can of starting fluid?   Good.  Do not try to use choke or throttle or anything (choke can flood the engine sometimes) when you do this next trick.

Take the air filter out and give the bike a good 1-2 count shot of ether deep into the air box opening - try to reach the carburetor.   Then hit the starter button (no gas, no choke) for no more than 10 seconds.

If you get nothing, repeat the blast of ether and the 10 second crank a second time.

The bike will try to start off the ether itself, it has to do this if it has compression and a spark.

What did you see when you did this test?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Michael Ralph
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 03/17/13 at 05:25:05

For my technical tests

The battery was tested with a multimeter, and when it would run low I hooked her up to a battery charger and wouldn't try cranking again until it reached proper voltage

I thought I wasn't getting any spark so I pulled the spark plug and tried cranking it and there was a healthy spark coming from the plug

I have not yet tried the starting fluid, I'm not sure where to spray it and how much to use for a little 650, only time I have used ether was to start some cranky HMMVS in the military

Before I take the carb out I remember it being extremely difficult to do so the way the clymer manual says to take of the hose clamp to the hose to the intake and pull back. Before I do this today is there any easier tricks? Preferably one with out removing the fuel tank, not that the fuel tank is hard to remove but I'm working in my dads garage and he seems to have enough of a fit when working on anything that has to do with fuel

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #14 - 03/17/13 at 05:28:27

Here you go, one starting fluid test  ---  do this before taking the carburetor off again.

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 03/17/13 at 05:18:42:

So, you got a can of starting fluid?   Good.  Do not try to use choke or throttle or anything (choke can flood the engine sometimes) when you do this next trick.

Take the air filter out and give the bike a good 1-2 count shot of ether deep into the air box opening - try to reach the carburetor.   Then hit the starter button (no gas, no choke) for no more than 10 seconds.

If you get nothing, repeat the blast of ether and the 10 second crank a second time.

The bike will try to start off the ether itself, it has to do this if it has compression and a spark.

What did you see when you did this test?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:22:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Can't Start Bike! Need help

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.