Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Fork Tube Cleaner Suggestions? (Read 59 times)
savagerider87

Riding a quality
Japanese machine
since '13

Northern NY
Fork Tube Cleaner Suggestions?
03/15/13 at 05:52:15

My lower fork tubes and lower tree (the one that has the headlight mounted to it) are discolored to like a translucent tannish color.  My questions are  1 Is there a cleaner on the market to make them more polished looking?  2, are the tubes and tree clearcoated?  Any suggestions would be very helpful.

1987 650 F Jardine exhaust,custom leather lever covers,and Corbin seat
2014 Star Bolt R-Spec
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Re: Fork Tube Cleaner Suggestions?
Reply #1 - 03/15/13 at 06:32:29

Yep, that's the clear powder coating changing color. You can try to wet sand it back to a true clear, but, it is pretty thin, don't be surprised if you go right through the coating. If so, it's not the end of the world, just sand all the coating off, buff the alloy with a green scotch brite pad or some 0000 bronze wool and reclear. 2K rattle can has become the touch up go to brand.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 03/15/13 at 06:46:29

I am not sure if the clear on the Savage is less durable than most, or the bikes sit out more than most.....or the environment is harsher than it used to be.....but the clear coat on the Savage does not hold up well.  The damage seems to start on the edges and water getting under the clear coat causes corrosion.  It starts out as little grey lines or spots and eventually turns black.

I have been using paint stripper to take the clear coat off, then using a professional buffer that my uncle has to polish the parts.  I have not been coating them as my bike is stored inside and I don't ride in the rain. I apply polish and wax to keep them shiny.

IMG_0863.JPG

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 03/15/13 at 15:18:40

My engine was lookin raspy. I tried several approaches to removing the clear before I settled on the Scotchbrite pads. On a palm orbital sander, with a spray bottle & water, it hauls that junk off nicely, puts a nice matte finish on the aluminum, ready for a rattle can of clear acrylic,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 21:21:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Fork Tube Cleaner Suggestions?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.