Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
What is this? (Read 178 times)
JRLeathercraft

I'm not a biker, I
just own one.

What is this?
03/14/13 at 18:07:02

Ok, so you may have read my post about my carb cleaning.

I let her run on the driveway for about 15 minutes as I think it had not ran in a  couple years.... when

I saw BLACK stuff under the bike.

I immediately thought OIL and ran over to turn it off, but it was not oil

There were these black carbon looking mini sprinkle. There were somewhat soft to the touch.

I'm thinking grime that was happy where it was until she started running.
There was no smell or anything odd that I could tell and it seemed to STOP doing it.

Any thoughts? See the pix.

carbon.JPG
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: What is this?
Reply #1 - 03/14/13 at 18:20:38

Where under the bike did you find it.  Like just behind the exhaust, under the crank case?  It looks like some soot or general crude that blew out of the exhaust pipe but that depends on where you found it.  Just a side note, I wouldn't let my bike idle for 15 minutes without cooling it with a fan.  They run pretty hot when they sit and idle.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 03/14/13 at 18:47:23

15 minutes it sat, running, without air across the cooling fins? Thats not highly recommended,.I hope your idle speed is set high enough.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #3 - 03/14/13 at 19:03:13

There is a black rubber hose under the motor that comes from the bottom of the air box. It drains any condensation/oil mist that collects in the air box. Its got a plastic valve in the end that you open to let the gunk run out,normally whenever you change the oil. Maybe yours is open or the valve is missing.

IP Logged
JRLeathercraft

I'm not a biker, I
just own one.

Reply #4 - 03/14/13 at 19:20:25

Yeah, I'm thinking it wasn't 15 minutes.

thanks all,

Jay

IP Logged
JRLeathercraft

I'm not a biker, I
just own one.

Reply #5 - 03/14/13 at 19:21:18

oldNslow wrote on 03/14/13 at 19:03:13:
There is a black rubber hose under the motor that comes from the bottom of the air box. It drains any condensation/oil mist that collects in the air box. Its got a plastic valve in the end that you open to let the gunk run out,normally whenever you change the oil. Maybe yours is open or the valve is missing.

It was under the air box, I think you are corect sir!

IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #6 - 03/14/13 at 19:34:31

Is that valve on all stock bikes or more recent versions? I never noticed it on my '96,but then again I never looked for one either Roll Eyes! Since I've change oil a few times since I got the scoot last summer...... Huh....seems I need to check this out.

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #7 - 03/14/13 at 19:41:29

Looks like unburnt fuel to me.

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #8 - 03/14/13 at 20:22:17

ZAR wrote on 03/14/13 at 19:34:31:

Is that valve on all stock bikes or more recent versions? I never noticed it on my '96,but then again I never looked for one either Roll Eyes! Since I've change oil a few times since I got the scoot last summer...... Huh....seems I need to check this out.

it's on all of them, and it's not really a valve just a plastic plug in the end of the hose that comes off the bottom of the air box.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #9 - 03/14/13 at 20:41:12

I've been thinking about what that is.  I looks just like the carbon and soot that you would get out of the exhaust on an engine if you were to use the old method used on carb'd automobile engines to clean out the carbon in the engine. Meaning you slowly pour water or diesel fuel into the carb with the engine running while opening the carb to WFO and slowly choke the motor out with either fluid so that it keeps running at a low RPM, with about 1 qt of the fluid.

What I'm thinking is that since your bike has been sitting for so long that there was some soot or carbon buildup in the case and it got expelled out the breather tube into the air box, then came down out of the air box drain tube.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
MiCTLaN

O_o

Winter Haven, FL
Reply #10 - 03/14/13 at 20:51:42

If the plug isn't there, it could just be dried crud that was in the tube or airbox itself, not necessarily coming from inside the engine.

IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #11 - 03/14/13 at 22:09:15

You mentioned in a previous thread that you found out your bike is a California model.  That means you have an evap system, and a charcoal filter sitting on your swingarm bracket.  You might want to check your charcoal canister, because I think all your charcoal is on the floor...

Most of us don't have one of those. I don't know if you need a functioning EVAP system for you to pass CA emissions, or if it's just a requirement for your bike to have one when it's sold.  It's worth looking into, though.

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #12 - 03/15/13 at 04:03:05

Mouse crap!!! If the bike was sitting that long may a rodent took up residency in a nook and cranny of the bike and it shook loose at start up   Grin

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
JRLeathercraft

I'm not a biker, I
just own one.

Reply #13 - 03/15/13 at 06:31:36

I've seen mouse doo and that's not it Smiley

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #14 - 03/15/13 at 06:38:20

That DOES look suspiciously like granulated charcoal... Of course, it also looks a lot like worm castings...

Evap canisters can rot out while sitting up. They tend to absorb a lot of atmospheric moisture if not exposed to engine heat. And the bases are pretty thin.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 23:15:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › What is this?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.