Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
carb success (Read 135 times)
JRLeathercraft

I'm not a biker, I
just own one.

carb success
03/14/13 at 18:01:08

So, some people say God doesn't perform miracles.

Well, He did in my garage today, because I took a part the carb, clean it and put it back together on a savage that had been sitting almost 2 years.

AND... yes, it ran!

I know this is the norm for you folks  'round these parts, but not for the machine challenged.

My observations:

It is imtimidating.

You don't need to SOAK it like the Clymer suggest

I couldn't get the long needle out and the Clmyer said to only use a plastic tool, so I left it in.

I found out that my bike came from California based upon the extra parts described in the clymer.

There is a breather hose that is not mentioned in the Clymer that is in the way of the carb that need to be disconnected. It wasn't connected but somehow I manage to figure out where it went.

Twice I almost lost the little round white diaphram piece - panic set in

I have never seen BLACK oil like that before when i changed it, before trying to turn it over.

I had forgotten how loud a thumper can be. Beautiful

BTW, the impact driver from Harbor Frieght was the most important tool I had today.

Jay

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: carb success
Reply #1 - 03/14/13 at 18:23:16

Congratulations.  I think everyone is very happy when they take apart a carb and it goes back together and the bike runs right off.  Good job.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
mikey2004

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sarasota Florida
Reply #2 - 03/14/13 at 18:37:49

ya I have put off doing mine because I am scared to start it and mess it up. I have the little rebuild kit. but its something I have never done before and I don't want to mess it up. the bike runs like hell right now and im hoping that rebuilding the carb will fix the launch problem im having.
but congrats to you for getting yours up and running.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 03/14/13 at 18:57:31

Clymer has a few places in it that are wrong. Before you jump off any other projects, you mite wanna ask some of these guyys where the OOOPS stuff is.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
JRLeathercraft

I'm not a biker, I
just own one.

Reply #4 - 03/14/13 at 19:26:05

mikey2004 wrote on 03/14/13 at 18:37:49:
ya I have put off doing mine because I am scared to start it and mess it up. I have the little rebuild kit. but its something I have never done before and I don't want to mess it up. the bike runs like hell right now and im hoping that rebuilding the carb will fix the launch problem im having.
but congrats to you for getting yours up and running.

If you have a local Harbor Frieght tools get the little IMPACT DRIVER set for around $5.00. It is a miracle toold and you won't be able to loosen screws without it.

IP Logged
Borracho

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Albuquerque, NM
Reply #5 - 03/14/13 at 19:39:43

Thanks for the insight, I will be doing the same next week. It is good to see other non-mechanicals get it done  Smiley

2004, Jardine muffler, K&N drop-in, Corbin seat, Raptor petcock and Sportster handlebars with phony ISO grips.
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #6 - 03/14/13 at 20:26:42

JRLeathercraft wrote on 03/14/13 at 19:26:05:
If you have a local Harbor Frieght tools get the little IMPACT DRIVER set for around $5.00. It is a miracle toold and you won't be able to loosen screws without it.

I did mine without the impact driver with no issue at all. It's all about having the right screwdriver or slightly modifying your standard phillips screwdrivers to properly seat into JIS screw heads.  All it takes is a little bit of grinding on the tip of your screwdriver to get it to seat properly, if you don't have a place where you can get a JIS compatible phillips screwdriver.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
TROX

More ideas than $$$

Temple, TX
Reply #7 - 03/15/13 at 03:30:34

I have my bike in pieces due to me bobbing it and I have to re-jet for the drag pipe. I have had the jet kit forever and I too am worried about tearing into it. Your post has inspired me, I believe I will try to tackle that this weekend.   Smiley

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #8 - 03/15/13 at 04:00:33

As long as you take care not to loose any parts and get it back together the same way the worst part is usually tuning it again LOL. For the first time carb rebuilder don't be intimidated, just be organized and you'll be fine.  Wink

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #9 - 03/15/13 at 11:41:30

Some guy on CL selling an ultrasonic carb cleaner, anyone ever used that or dont bother?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 03/15/13 at 15:15:22

Ultrasonics are fine, but the guy who is just doing one carb doesnt need it. If I was a mechanic, selling my time, Id probably have one, but just some guy, maintaining ONE carb? Naaah. Do it manually. There were millions upon millions of carbs cleaned & rebuilt before ultrasonics hit the market. Its not worth the $$$ for something youre gonna use once or twice.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #11 - 03/15/13 at 15:19:21

Arnold wrote on 03/15/13 at 11:41:30:
Some guy on CL selling an ultrasonic carb cleaner, anyone ever used that or dont bother?

If you own a handgun and it's big enough for it, go ahead and grab it.  Ultrasonic cleaners are good for more then just carb cleaning, they are good for cleaning lots of things.  Also if you load your own ammo it's great for getting your brass completely clean even in the primer pockets.

Also you wife will love it for use in cleaning her jewelry, so that's a good selling point to get her in on the deal.  Cool

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #12 - 03/15/13 at 15:34:53

No gun yet but soon, there's a few cleaners on eBay around $150. The garage charges $65 to do it for you.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 19:18:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › carb success

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.