Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
recommendations for exhaust wrap, and paint. (Read 325 times)
lord0
YaBB Newbies

wuteva, I do what I
want

Encinitas
recommendations for exhaust wrap, and paint.
03/14/13 at 10:59:56

Does anybody have any good recommendations for a brand/type of exhaust wrap?

Also, I live at the beach and the salty air/fog is ruining the paint so i pretty much have to repaint the tank, rear fender, and handlebars. I know that for the exhaust I need a high temp paint. My bike is a standard flat black and I want to keep it that way.

296438_10151155304358758_989358773_n.jpg
  IP Logged
lord0
YaBB Newbies

wuteva, I do what I
want

Encinitas
Re: recommendations for exhaust wrap, and paint.
Reply #1 - 03/14/13 at 11:00:54

PCH

313394_10152643937100626_1199198222_n.jpg
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 03/14/13 at 13:03:41

Exhaust - It lives a hard life.....lit is an awful lot of heat for paint.  The paint will usually get little tiny cracks from the heat cycles....then throw some salt laden air on it and it will not hold up for long.  If you are going to paint it yourself use a High Heat 2,000 degree type exhaust paint with Ceramic......most auto parts stores or Big Box stores carry it.  Be sure to prepare the surface (sand blast) and cure it properly if you want it to have any chance of being durable.  I don't know anything about brands of heat wrap - but the pipe will rust underneath the wrap.....guaranteed.  The heat wrap holds the heat in and the pipe will get hotter than the paint can withstand.

If you want the exhaust more durable than you can do yourself and don't mind spending a little bit......having it professionally coated is the best.  This company is very affordable and they have excellent reviews.  They charge $ 14.00 a foot for pipes up to 2" diameter.
http://boneheadperformance.com/

Paint - For your tanks and fenders.....if you are just using flat black primer it is not durable.  You need a flat black paint with a primer underneath.  I used a 2 part epoxy paint called Hot Rod Black on a trailer and it holds up well - but does require spray equipment.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #3 - 03/14/13 at 14:22:21

Not to dis your bike, but one stray pebble off the front tire, and you're going to learn a whole new definition of "burn".  Smiley  If you search the Tech section, there are a few good posts on how to put it on the swingarm.

As far as the exhaust paint, some of us have just used BBQ/wood stove paint.  It holds up to the heat, and is easy to touch up.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 03/14/13 at 15:02:57

If I lived in such a hostile environment Id probably not wrap a pipe. But then, I dont think carpet makes any sense at all, either,,I mean, I wear clothes, they get dirty, I wash them.. aint no waaaaay the vacuum is dragging all the syuff UP that goes down, SOOOO,, Way on down in there, crud is accumulating,, Now, if that crud is accumulating on a chromed pipe that gets Hotternhell & wet, what are the odds it aint gonna rust all up, wrapped up & lookin good? I can rub on a pipe & keep it from goin all to heck, IF its not hidden from me. Orr,, If I was a rich feller, Id get a ceramic coating.

Ohh yea, theyve changed the name of Ospho, its only about $8.00 a quart. I usually get a coupla years out a quart.Kelly Moore or any paint store has it. I dont think Lowes does. Dont get the gel.

Looks to me like the battery is protected. Seems to be sitting in a metal
U shaped thing.
What beach is it?
I keep Ospho around. Its a dilute phosphoric acid. The chemical reaction with iron oxide changes it to iron phosphate. Kills surface rust. Brass brushes dont scratch chrome. Those annoying dots creeping up[ in the chrome can be dealt with.,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
lord0
YaBB Newbies

wuteva, I do what I
want

Encinitas
Reply #5 - 03/14/13 at 15:09:49

Dave, thanks for the advice and the heads-up on the rust "issue" with the exhaust wrap. My exhaust unfortunately is already showing signs of rust (from the salty air). I was planning re finishing the paint on the exhaust. I have access to a manufacturing facility that has a spray booth and have a little experience with sanding and painting.  I wanted to do the exhaust wrap for two reasons:
1. To help prevent my boots from melting
2. To keep the heat trapped, so that the excess gas burns off.

If there are any issues anyone sees with this please let me know!

SALB, no offense taken! I have slowly, but surely embraced what the road has given me (sand, pebbles, etc...) and I am learning to love it Grin
great idea with the BBQ paint too!

IP Logged
lord0
YaBB Newbies

wuteva, I do what I
want

Encinitas
Reply #6 - 03/14/13 at 15:13:50

justin_o_guy2, I live in Encinitas, CA (San Diego County)

IP Logged
lord0
YaBB Newbies

wuteva, I do what I
want

Encinitas
Reply #7 - 03/14/13 at 15:42:37

Here are some pics of the exhaust

image-2.jpeg
  IP Logged
lord0
YaBB Newbies

wuteva, I do what I
want

Encinitas
Reply #8 - 03/14/13 at 15:43:59

Close-up

image_001.jpeg
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 03/14/13 at 18:54:56

Dude! Wipe some rust killer on it & roll. YOu cant wrap the whole thing, anyway. Its not gonna rust out from under ya in the next coupla days. I wish youd try the Ospho..

Ohh, I looked, its now Jasco, same bottle, different label, AND it costs

Less! I was shocked,
If ya dont like that solution ( get it? I said "solution" talking about an acidic fluid) you can always wrap it up later.
Maybe you could sell some hair & get a ceramic coating put on it..

Rotten kids,,still got HAIR,, dangitt.. Keep a good helmet on that hair & wrapped around that young & as yet presentable face,,I put a dent in the cab corner on a pickup with my face. The chin coverage kept me from getting my face caved in.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #10 - 03/14/13 at 20:16:05

Go ahead and wrap your pipe if you want. will it rust faster? absolutely. will it significantly cut down on the life of your bike? probably not. it might make a pipe only last 15 years instead of 20 or 25 though. For saving your boots/skin/gear, wrap will work. Be careful of some cheap brands though: black wrap won't stay black and white will get dirty real quick.

There is also 'enamel' paint you can get that works well for body parts. something like:
http://www.amazon.com/PlastiKote-229-Clear-Engine-Enamel/dp/B000CPC5P6/ref=sr...

will work. a two-parter paint will always be better though. most of those require spray equipment, though a few are available in rattle cans if that is your style. i think they are called 2k urethane paints.

keep in mind that 80% of a good paint job is prep work. make sure all your parts are super clean and there aren't any particulates (dust and the like) that will get on your drying parts. I've had very good success with a rust-oleum primer, semi gloss, and then that dupli-color engine enamel on two gas tanks. I wouldn't trust it to withstand a lot of gasoline spillage, but it works if you are careful.

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #11 - 03/15/13 at 04:14:57

Dave wrote on 03/14/13 at 13:03:41:
if you are just using flat black primer it is not durable.

Yea most people don't reolize that the majority of primers are actually semi-porous, so paintint with it or leaving it on an unfinished project like a car or bike that sits outdoors will actually make it rust quicker unless it is a special non-porous primer. My Pops was a auto body man.

Oh BTW  cool bike Lord and great mop of hair too. When I met my old lady I had hair half way down my back, now if I try to grow it at all she tells me how much she disslikes it long  Huh  Keep that hair and stay single as long as you can LOL  Grin  (walks away grumbling "At least she won't make me shave my mud........")

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #12 - 03/15/13 at 05:51:55

Rustoleum 2000 degree primer and paint from Auto Zone. About $20-25 for both. Mine has lasted about 1500 miles, so far. Preperation is the key.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
rat907
YaBB Newbies

Have bike will
travel

Las Vegas, NV
Reply #13 - 03/15/13 at 19:32:42

I went with a glass pack and chrome tail peice on my exhaust mod. I found 25 ft of header wrap at a darn good price on Amazon and wrapped from the muff clamp to the head with a 50% overlap. The wraps face down as they should and 3 inch stainless worm clamps look alright to fasten it down. The glass pack paint is half burned off already, I figured it would get ugly since the paint is forgotten after the showroom pre sale. VHT makes a 2000 degree header paint in flat and thats what I'll do when I get around to it.

Urethane paint all the way for body parts. It's fuel resistant when you doze off at the gas pump, tough finish that cleans and shines nice. Frame paint I would opt for POR 15 from Eastwood, its tough undercarriige paint used by auto restorers in black or red.

Denny

2005 Suzuki S40 Boulevard, Lancers VM 36 Carb Kit & Thrush Glass Pack... Zoom Zoom!
  IP Logged
Borracho

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Albuquerque, NM
Reply #14 - 03/15/13 at 20:49:31

Nice ride, Spicoli!

2004, Jardine muffler, K&N drop-in, Corbin seat, Raptor petcock and Sportster handlebars with phony ISO grips.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 08:22:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › recommendations for exhaust wrap, and paint.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.