Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Fuel Leaking from Carb Vent Tube (Read 241 times)
Arion
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fuel Leaking from Carb Vent Tube
03/13/13 at 10:44:34

I've not asked advise before (mostly lurking and learning), but I sure need it now.  I started my wonderful wife's 2006 S40 today and was surprised to find fuel being "pumped" out of the left side vent tube.  The service manual doesn't describe the tubes but there are two that run from the top rear portion of the carb and up under the fuel tank, pointing forward - one on the left and one on the right.  It was apparently being pumped from the left side because the bike was on the side stand.  Rather exciting for a moment or two, with fuel running down the left side of the cylinder.  
My question is why is this happening?  I'm guessing a stuck float because it's been sitting through the winter, but it's nothing more than a guess.  Help please!  

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Fuel Leaking from Carb Vent Tube
Reply #1 - 03/13/13 at 10:57:40

Id go with your first guess. Have ya spanked the carb with a screwdriver handle? Mite wanna drain the carb bowl. Let that thing sit & not be shaken up, let everything settle in the bowl. Mite be some gunk in the valve/seat, not closing off completely when the float gets to the top.
Mite be time to dump the gas outta the tank, put fresh stuff in, if that doesnt get it, try some Seafoam, if that doesnt get it, time for a wrenchin session.
You dont hafta waste the gas that comes out. Look it over, dump some in a jar. If its obviously garbage, then, its good for fire starting, added to oil its safe, in low %ages. If its not useful to you, dispose of it "right", of course.
If its just marginal, a little in the lawnmower with the Good Gas,, like that. At 60 cents a gallon,, no biggee, but a gallon O gas? Now? Im gonna try to find a use,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Super Thumper

2001 LS650 With 97mm
Big Bore Kit, Stage
III Cam.

Windsor, Vermont
Reply #2 - 03/14/13 at 17:13:34

My guess is a stuck carb float also. Could be some crud in the fuel that has gotten stuck behind the float needle causing it to not close all the way.  Possible causes...rust/dirt in the gas tank, gum/varnish buildup in the carb from sitting with no stabilizer in the fuel. Do you have a fuel filter on the bike...if not you might want to put one on.

Live To Ride...Ride To Live
WWW   IP Logged
Arion
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 03/15/13 at 10:10:55

Thanks for the information.  I decided, having an afternoon with nothing on the schedule, to remove the carb, diasassemble, and clean it.  Rather lengthy process (as in Step One: disassemble motorcycle) but it was worth it.  After reassembling everything and checking my work to make sure I hadn't overloooked anything, it fired up as if it was new.  Cost me some time, several skinned knuckles, and part of a can of carb cleaner.  My charming wife is now happy - which means so am I.  

IP Logged
curmudgeon
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 03/22/14 at 09:44:20

I know this is an older thread, but I'm having the same issue. OP, if you're still around, can you tell me if you noticed anything in particular during your cleaning that I should look out for, or is disassembly, cleaning, and reassembly sufficient?

I would consider myself somewhat handy, but I've never disassembled a carb before, and I'm not really sure what I'm looking for in terms of what would be out of place.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 03/22/14 at 09:58:21

Look for dirt, varnish and clogged jets.
follow the instructions in the tech section and it'll work out.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 03/22/14 at 11:13:38

A little piece of dried up crud hung in the float valve seat will do that. Next time ya park it for a a coupla weeks, drain the carb bowl,, IF you have a Raptor, just shut gas off & run it till it dies.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
shorty
Serious Thumper

be careful out there
gentlemen

southern NM
Reply #7 - 03/22/14 at 14:41:22

when re-assembling use socket head screws for the carb bowl, this way you can get the bowl off without removing the carb & fuel tank

motorcycles have been my main transport since 1974
  IP Logged
curmudgeon
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 03/23/14 at 06:14:49

All good advice- thanks! I'm going to try to pull the carb today, but may not actually have time to tear it down today. I just installed the raptor petcock yesterday, so I'll keep that I mind next time the bike is going to sit for a while.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 03/23/14 at 08:30:44

Use antisieze on the bolts. Every shop should have antisieze. I cant say when the last time was I had an WD 40 in my shop.. I dont use it, but antisieze is always on the shelf,

IP Logged
marinero
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 08/14/21 at 08:44:03

I have the same problem. It happened today during ride. Just felt strong smell of gasoline. After inspection I noticed fuel is leaking throw left pipe from carb...

Cannot start it.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 08/14/21 at 10:04:50

I just fixed a bike like this.  I had to take the drain screw out of the carb float bowl and drain all the fuel out before the bike would start and run.

When I took it apart I found the float had fuel inside.  Replaced the float and it works fine now.

You could have a sticky float, some dirt in the needle, or similarly a float that likes to "sink".

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 08/14/21 at 11:09:32

I had one that the float level was way off.

WWW   IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 08/14/21 at 13:40:48

verslagen1 wrote on 08/14/21 at 11:09:32:
I had one that the float level was way off.
----

While that can happen, it's important for people to understand that floats don't normally just go out of adjustment.  So if the bike was running fine and then all the sudden you're having issues it's very unlikely that it's an "adjustment".  

I would start with Dave's suggestions, but if this were a used bike that someone may have had apart, then I would look at everything.  But you also need to know why the foat is out of adjustment.  Is it filled with fuel, is the valve stuck, is there debris in there???

I know varslagen1 knows this stuff, but the statement might lead a less experienced mechanic down the wrong path.   Smiley

IP Logged
marinero
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 08/16/21 at 02:50:05

marinero wrote on 08/14/21 at 08:44:03:
I have the same problem. It happened today during ride. Just felt strong smell of gasoline. After inspection I noticed fuel is leaking throw left pipe from carb...

Cannot start it.

I have opened my carb. In float bowl find some derbies, cleaned everything and adjust float level to 2,7cm/1.06 inches; it was on 3,2cm/1.25 inches. Found a lot of fuel in my air filter box. Drained everything and cleaned inside, the filter is wet in one part, but I hope it will evaporate soon.

After all of this I installed carb back. Now it runs smooth and ok...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 15:23:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Fuel Leaking from Carb Vent Tube

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.