Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Hey dude, you're getting a Dell !!! (Read 140 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Hey dude, you're getting a Dell !!!
03/13/13 at 06:58:09

http://liliputing.com/2013/03/dell-xps-18-takes-all-in-one-to-next-level-this...

Well, the future she come to pass when your back is turned .....

Grin

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Re: Hey dude, you're getting a Dell !!!
Reply #1 - 03/13/13 at 07:53:34

That's pretty cool ... at home I still have and use an old Dell desktop PC bought in 2005 ... a real dinosaur, but the darn thing has hardly been turned off in 8 years ('cept when the power goes out! LOL!) and yet it still works and allows me to surf the net and do email ... sure it's slow as cold molassas, but as reliable as a brick!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Reply #2 - 03/13/13 at 10:44:34

Ya'know...  I just can't visualize using a touch screen while sitting at a desk.  My arms would fall off from having to reach up and over to the screen.  I'll keep my mouse, thanks.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 03/13/13 at 11:17:57

The latest entry is the Dell XPS 18, a Windows 8 computer with an 18.4 inch touchscreen, a 5 hour battery, and a starting price of $900.

and a starting price of $900.

starting price of $900.

price of $900

$900

$900

$900

Errrrrmmm,,, no..

HOWEVER,, I would be willing to take any suggestions from knowledgeable people. My daughter dropped her laptop. Fell about 18", landed on a corner. Now, when it warms up, the screen changes colors & looks weird. I dont think its reapirable now, because weve been in it twice & last time in I used super glue to hold stuff in one of the hinge areas. I doubt itll ever open & close right again if it gets taken apart again,It was a pricey dude about 4 years ago.

She is in College, needs a computer. Not necessarily a laptop or tablet. It could stay right on or under her desk,, need to be able to spreadsheets & basic business app type things. Im pretty sure the college website wont even work with a Non windows machine,,( that aint right, IMO)
anyway, Bang for the buck, who has a good solution?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #4 - 03/13/13 at 11:27:36

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 03/13/13 at 11:17:57:
She is in College, needs a computer. Not necessarily a laptop or tablet. It could stay right on or under her desk,, need to be able to spreadsheets & basic business app type things. Im pretty sure the college website wont even work with a Non windows machine,,( that aint right, IMO)
anyway, Bang for the buck, who has a good solution?

Many college campuses require an OS that works on a domain. Many only support Windows "pro" versions. Double check with the school before you purchase anything. As far as a suggestion, I purchased refurbs from NewEgg.com for my business. They work great and were cheap.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 03/13/13 at 12:04:23

Those are much appreciated nuggets. Will do & Ill check New Egg out before we do anything.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #6 - 03/13/13 at 16:16:24

You might find a  display assembly cheap on ebay and swap out the whole thing.  Many times when I was in the repair business, screens changing colors turned out to be either loose or cracked display signal cables.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #7 - 03/13/13 at 16:47:25

Greg wrote on 03/13/13 at 11:27:36:
Many college campuses require an OS that works on a domain. Many only support Windows "pro" versions. Double check with the school before you purchase anything. As far as a suggestion, I purchased refurbs from NewEgg.com for my business. They work great and were cheap.

Linux will work with active directory domains without any issue.  This was done a long time ago, also I believe Macs also support it as alot of college students use macbook laptops in college now.

As for the issue of possibly requiring a windows os at the college it would most likely be due to certain applications that are specifically written for each course, some will work in linux with Wine but some won't depending on the college and maker of the programs.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #8 - 03/14/13 at 15:00:51

I ALWAYS build my own. Its a heck of alot easier than setting the carb on savage. Just saying.

i just finished building my mom a whole new desktop. The PC itself was about $500 with 8GB RAM and 320GB HDD and the cheapest AMD x86 chip I could find. My Mom is 80-ish and has to have EVERYTHING in white.. the case.. keyboard.. mouse.. even the monitor which is an LCD TV from Target ( 23"). With TV and windows 7 64bit.. total outlay about $750.

now she wants a $80 touchpad from Logitec.. so she can play FreeCell better!

Building a PC is just plain fun.. just as much fun as adding new doodads to the bike! My PC even has a radiator, window, and tach!

IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #9 - 03/14/13 at 15:25:44

A little off topic but...

rfw, my buddy uses a computer for p0rn. Period. I got tired of fixing it and set him up with Ubuntu. No more issues. Linux is truly p0rn-friendly!   Grin

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #10 - 03/14/13 at 15:32:34

Greg wrote on 03/14/13 at 15:25:44:
A little off topic but...

rfw, my buddy uses a computer for p0rn. Period. I got tired of fixing it and set him up with Ubuntu. No more issues. Linux is truly p0rn-friendly!   Grin

LOL  Grin

well the reason for that is,  because Linux isn't as prone to viruses like Windows is, unless your logged in as the root user.  Mainstream computer users are dominated by Windows O/S of one version or another so those that are intent in doing harm to someones computer with viruses and hacking tend to stay within what the mainstream people use.  Linux hasn't really gained a big foothold in the households and businesses yet so those people don't target those O/S's to exploit any possible vulnerability in the system.  But if Linux was the dominate in the O/S scene instead you would have the same problem as you do with windows now with viruses because then they would be coding directly for that particular O/S to exploit it even though it is harder to accomplish with the way that Linux is setup to protect the system files.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #11 - 03/14/13 at 19:43:14

No, I'm getting a Surface.

But seriously, I will get one with the mechanical keyboard. Been dying to try Win8 on a touchscreen and I need to replace my poor little pathetic 900MHz netbook.

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #12 - 03/14/13 at 20:09:02

Cavi Mike wrote on 03/14/13 at 19:43:14:
No, I'm getting a Surface.

But seriously, I will get one with the mechanical keyboard. Been dying to try Win8 on a touchscreen and I need to replace my poor little pathetic 900MHz netbook.

I can honestly say, I will have no use at all for winblows 8, and will not be buying a copy of it at all.  I messed with it a little at Bestbuy on one of the display computers plus during the alpha and beta stages, and I can't stand it.  winblows 8 is not setup at all easy use as a desktop O/S unless it's touchscreen and even then I think it's awful. It's basically a carbon copy of the new windows mobile phones.  I'll be sticking with Winblows 7 for those few proggies that won't work under wine in linux that I use all the time and a few games that I play every now and then, and Linux for the rest of my stuff.

I'm also like Pine,  I build my own computers.  I have done this since my second computer.  First one was a Tandy HS1000.  Only computer other then the first one that I have built is my laptop computer, although it was custom built for me off of a universal clevo based laptop that is easily upgraded on all major components including the GPU.

R.F.

IP Logged
MiCTLaN

O_o

Winter Haven, FL
Reply #13 - 03/14/13 at 21:17:50

I've recently been using Windows 8 as my primary OS, after using it off and on for testing ever since the RC came out for it and absolutely hating it.  We purchased some new laptops at work that came with Windows 8, a few Dell XPS machines that look awfully similar to Macbook Pros, and found that the "legitimate" downgrade process was somewhat more of a pain than we had been promised by the manufacturer.  I discovered if you disable a lot of the stuff that makes Windows 8, well, Windows 8... it's actually a lot like Windows 7, which I like quite a bit.

The most important thing was getting rid of the new tile-based Start menu (well, pushing it to the background, actually) by using a nice little tool called Classic Shell (http://www.classicshell.net/).  The next was disabling a lot of the gestures from the touchpad, which completely drove me insane when using it without a mouse.

There are some things that I really like about it... The improvements they have done to simple things are making it grow on me: a more useful dialog when copying large amounts of files from one place to another (similar to some of the things I've seen in Linux desktops), a task bar designed for multiple monitors (even better than Ultramon, imho), if you're familiar with that), etc.

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #14 - 03/15/13 at 00:22:49

I build my own comps too but I don't carry my desktop rig to work with me. I need a portable Windows machine so I can run MasterCAM. As far as using Win8 on a desktop, I'm not wasting my time with it, Win7 does what I want just fine and I don't want my taskbar on any of my other monitors.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 16:43:40

General CategoryThe Cafe › Hey dude, you're getting a Dell !!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.