YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Starting question
Reply #15 - 03/12/13 at 08:40:03

Next time you want to do some experimenting... regulate the voltage down to 10v and see if it will start.

From experience, many have found that it doesn't.  spark is just not hot enough, but it spins fine.

WWW   IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #16 - 03/12/13 at 09:15:17

I had a weak (old) battery in mine, and had the hardest time trying to start it in the cold. You could hear it crank but it wouldn't catch. Had to push start it in the mornings. In the evenings it was fine once it warmed up. Put a big crank in it and it it starts right up.

My experience: a weak battery will turn over the engine but it won't start the bike.

as for the question as to why your bike only starts when you release the starter, my only guess would be wonky electronics, but that is purely a guess. maybe your CDI is mismatched to your engine? or something weird is going on with your battery? You can also hook a charger up to your battery and try and start the bike with the charger still hooked up (if your charger supports that).

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #17 - 03/12/13 at 09:16:34

What happens if you Start to hit the start button, but change your mind?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #18 - 03/12/13 at 09:21:12

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 03/12/13 at 09:16:34:
What happens if you Start to hit the start button, but change your mind?

If it's spinning,sometimes it starts.I do think it's the battery.....But it also seems like I have a timing problem.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #19 - 03/12/13 at 10:01:16

These bikes do NOT have a CDI ignition. They have a transistorized ignition, in which a switching transistor replaces breaker points. The ignition box contains some other electronics which will not operate without enough voltage. Those electronics control the timing and drive the switching transistor. It is entirely possible to have enough voltage/current to drive the starter motor and still not have enough voltage to make the ignition work.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #20 - 03/13/13 at 03:07:26

I stand corrected.

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #21 - 03/13/13 at 14:09:28

Put the charger on,starts up.....Did a charging test,only putting out 12.5 volts.

IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #22 - 03/13/13 at 19:17:15

Charon wrote on 03/12/13 at 10:01:16:
These bikes do NOT have a CDI ignition. They have a transistorized ignition, in which a switching transistor replaces breaker points. The ignition box contains some other electronics which will not operate without enough voltage. Those electronics control the timing and drive the switching transistor. It is entirely possible to have enough voltage/current to drive the starter motor and still not have enough voltage to make the ignition work.

THIS +1  Sounds like you're at the perfect voltage:  You have enough power to turn the starter, but just short enough not to fire off the ignition simultaneously.  As soon as you open the starter circuit, you have power available to get a fat SPARK! And off she goes, as soon as you let go of the button.

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #23 - 03/14/13 at 04:49:04

verslagen1 wrote on 03/12/13 at 08:40:03:
Next time you want to do some experimenting... regulate the voltage down to 10v and see if it will start.

From experience, many have found that it doesn't.  spark is just not hot enough, but it spins fine.

Two weeks ago the weather turned nice and I decided to take the bike out, unfortunately the fuse on my tender blew most likely from a storm we had the week prior. The voltmeter gauge read 10V on the nose, but although it spun the starter strong it just wasn't enought to get her going.   Just to add to Verssy's experiment data   Wink

On the plus side I was able to roll her down my driveway, pop the clutch and bring her to life...........Got to ride and picked up replacement fuses on the way home for the tender  Grin

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #24 - 03/20/13 at 04:22:37

Ok....Not charging.Changed out the voltage reg from my '86...no help.Did continuity test on stator...ok.Haven't done the no load test yet.But I would think if cont.test was ok,it should be working....right? Undecided

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #25 - 03/23/13 at 11:42:30

Demin wrote on 03/20/13 at 04:22:37:
Ok....Not charging.Changed out the voltage reg from my '86...no help.Did continuity test on stator...ok.Haven't done the no load test yet.But I would think if cont.test was ok,it should be working....right? Undecided

Hi Den,

Well, the book says that the charging system should, with a fully charged battery, the dimmer switch on HI, and @ an engine speed of 5000 RPM, put out 14.0 - 15.5 V (inclusive, as measured between the battery terminals).

If you fail this test (and, I think you've indicated above that you already have failed same), the next test to perform is the AC generator no-load test.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #26 - 03/26/13 at 13:16:27

Did the no load test.Looks like the stator took a dump.
I know we've been down this road alot,BUT.I'm finding in every place I look the stator is the same for all models.Including Suzuki fiche
2 sides put out 100V+,1 side only putting 80-90's out.

« Last Edit: 03/26/13 at 14:53:31 by Demin »  

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #27 - 04/13/13 at 05:14:43

Found out I had two wires coming through the rubber,out of the side cover that were frayed and touching.For the heck of it I used the '87 rotor/flywheel and I put in the '02 stator and pickup and it works fine.Charging 13-13.5 at idle,twist the throttle and it goes up.Starts right up,less kickback and now I get our lovely POOF out of the exhaust.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 08:17:03

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Starting question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!