Send Topic Print
Bought a bike Saturday (Read 193 times)
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bought a bike Saturday
03/10/13 at 18:02:34

I bought a new bike (new to me) last weekend, got a Moto Guzzi 750.  I’ve always been interested in the 750 Moto Guzzis ever since they first came out in the late sixties but I never owned one.  Not everyone likes them but I think they are pretty cool.

It has a lot of basic features that I like.  The engine, clutch and transmission all live in separate enclosures so no compromises trying to find a single oil that makes these three components happy.  Another thing I like is that it has an air cooled push rod engine, good enough for me.  The dry weight is only 400 lbs and the seat height isn’t too bad.

For now I’ll keep my S40 and if I find myself still riding it then I’ll keep it.  I’ll see how much I like riding the Guzzi.  If I do part ways with the Suzuki I’ll miss this forum, it is the best one I have ever seen.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Bought a bike Saturday
Reply #1 - 03/10/13 at 22:48:04

Congrats!...  and, you don't have to leave... We have plenty of FSO's here...

(Ever since, Bill mentioned it... I've had fantasies of using a Guzzi engine to make a Morgan style 3-wheeler...
It would be the ultimate air-cooled car engine)...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 03/11/13 at 05:41:07

Serwobot:  Thanks for the invite to stay as a FSO and I'll certainly do that if I sell the S40.  This is a great forum in so many ways, good technical information and support, funny comments, just a great place to check everyday.

The Guzzi drive train already looks automotive so it would be a good fit for your proposed car.  I belive that you recently wrote that you ride with some Moto Guzzi people.  If you hear of any good forums let me know.

For now I will be riding the Savage, weather permitting.  I want to see how the new EBC organic brake pads work.  I plan to lower the pegs on the Guzzi by about one inch before I ride it.  They are a little high for old legs and knees.  I might also put some extra foam in the seat cushion to let the legs stretch out a little more.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #3 - 03/11/13 at 08:27:38

Which version? Standard, police (hot cams and higher compression), tug (low compression high torque for sidecars)...

The older ones are interesting bikes.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #4 - 03/11/13 at 10:15:25

Congratz!

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 03/11/13 at 12:20:12

It is a 2007 Nevada with only 800 miles.  It came with the OEM windshield and bags. I like the look of the 2012 and 2013 models with the black engine cases, seventies style tank and alloy wheels.  And if I ever have the opportunity I would like to acquire the tank and seat from one of the current models and make mine look a little sportier.

The Nevada with accessories looks bigger and heavier than it is.  Sort of like a mini California but it has the same frame, dimensions and geometry as the Stone, Special and the Racer.

The old ones are very interesting and it seems that there is a healthy demand for the ones made in the seventies.

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #6 - 03/11/13 at 14:26:00

Wildguzzi.com is a great forum, and Guzzitech is another, although I usually only visit wildguzzi.   There are the normal cliques, small block vs largeblocks, old guys in suspenders vs modern new riders.  All in good fun (mostly) and should you go there, check out leafman's long running threads on his firend. Grin

The 750 is a great Guzzi....I suspect you'll love it.

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #7 - 03/12/13 at 03:11:40

This Thread is Worthless without Pics!!!!

Congrats man! The Guzzi Nevada is a nice Bike!! Cool

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 03/12/13 at 09:15:13

I had a nevada. Seat high enough to make the ground a challenge to touch for me, but the pegs are up high, like a jockeys stirrups, making the knees unhappy after a while.
If you got the center stand be aware that it WILL hit in a good enough right hand turn. & things get very exciting right about then,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 03/12/13 at 17:06:51

The one I bought doesn't have a center stand.  I was thinking of buying one but after reading what you said about it dragging I think I will just make some sort of simple stand for it to use in the garage for maintenance.

The peg position is a problem.  A simple drilled plate could move them down about an inch and maybe forward a liitle.  I'll have to check how much adjustment is in the brake and shifter.

Here is a picture of one that is the same year, color and model as mine.  Only difference is that instead of a back rest I have a grab bar behind the seat and I don't have the crash bar.  But I am thinking about getting a crash bar.  I think I'll take the scoops off.

IP Logged
cowboy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 03/12/13 at 18:40:44

that;s a sharp  bike congrats Cool

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #11 - 03/14/13 at 15:04:18

I had to google all this.. no Moto guzzi in the state!!

I did drop by the Triumph dealer... boy they sure are proud of those bikes!!

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 03/15/13 at 06:16:37

I joined the wild guzzi forum and it has a lot of informed members but this forum is better organized.

I gave the Triumph some serious thought and I met an older guy who bought a retro Triumph Bonneville about a year ago.  He really likes it and says it is like sitting on a sewing machine, meaning it is quite smooth and trouble free. He rides it to a bike night at a frozen custard stand in a little town near here and says it always attracts people and makes for a great evening of talking about bikes and the old days.

I decided on the Guzzi becasue of its light weight, significantly lighter than the Triumph, otherwise I would have gotten a Triumph.  Also, a Moto Guzzi dealer is closer to me than a Triumph dealer.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #13 - 03/15/13 at 06:34:23

I wouldn't have thought the guzzi was lighter than the triumph. Parallel twins have lower weight than v, but well, aluminum is lighter than steel. Maybe the longer crank of the parallel twin is heavier and hence the motor is heavier.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 16:41:30

General CategoryThe Cafe › Bought a bike Saturday

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.