LostArtist
Ex Member

yamaha's new Star Bolt
03/09/13 at 09:26:35

950 cc as a sportster

The Bolt

standard

R-spec

looking pretty good to me!!  no more need to get a sportster, unless you just like paying for a brand name

they said price is $7999 I think that's just for the standard version though

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: yamaha's new Star Bolt
Reply #1 - 03/09/13 at 09:29:25

AIr-cooled?... I like it...
... but those, pipes gotta' go...  (they look like a dollar store toy)...Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
wambr
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Russia, Samara
Reply #2 - 03/09/13 at 09:44:23

Yes, air cooling as well as nearly all "Stars" from Yamaha . looks very cool!
the only pity is that in Russia, it probably would cost probably about 11000-12000 dollars.. and maybe more.. Sad

Yeah, it's not bigtwin, but it is the best half of it
  IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #3 - 03/09/13 at 10:18:37

Serowbot wrote on 03/09/13 at 09:29:25:
AIr-cooled?... I like it...
... but those, pipes gotta' go...  (they look like a dollar store toy)...Huh...

How much ya wanna bet that those pipes house a cataclysmic converter, and changing it out would require reprograming the fuel injection? Angry

IP Logged
gerald.hughes
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

FSO

Tucson, Az
Reply #4 - 03/09/13 at 11:05:21

LostArtist wrote on 03/09/13 at 09:26:35:
950 cc as a sportster

looking pretty good to me!!  no more need to get a sportster, unless you just like paying for a brand name

they said price is $7999 I think that's just for the standard version though

The price for a 2013 HD 883 Iron is $7,999.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #5 - 03/09/13 at 16:52:06

Hmm... dolled up Virago or bottom of the barrel HD... not much of a choice. I think Yamaha is still trying to recover from the XV750 fiasco...  Wink

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 03/09/13 at 21:20:47

In stock form,...  and as a direct competitor with the Sportster pricewise ... (I wasn't aware that the selling price was dead even)...
I agree with WD and Gerry...
The Sportster has the lines, and the heritage...

Yammer, either has to better the entry level price,... or give us something more for the money...
(if that engine is based on the Star/virago... it lacks the hydraulic lifters,.. and screw on oil filter, that a Sporty gives)...

Although,.. rumor is,.. Harley is going all fuel injection, and water cooled,... very soon...
So,..things may change...
...us, retro fans, may have need for new hunting grounds?...Huh...

IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 03/09/13 at 23:16:18

Serowbot wrote on 03/09/13 at 21:20:47:
In stock form,...  and as a direct competitor with the Sportster pricewise ... (I wasn't aware that the selling price was dead even)...
I agree with WD and Gerry...
The Sportster has the lines, and the heritage...

Yammer, either has to better the entry level price,... or give us something more for the money...
(if that engine is based on the Star/virago... it lacks the hydraulic lifters,.. and screw on oil filter, that a Sporty gives)...

Although,.. rumor is,.. Harley is going all fuel injection, and water cooled,... very soon...
So,..things may change...
...us, retro fans, may have need for new hunting grounds?...Huh...

I think the engine is based off the 950 platform Yamaha has in their current Star 950 T bikes

this is the description Star has of the 950 T engine: The 57.5 cubic inch (942 cc) engine is an air-cooled SOHC 60° V twin. With four valves per cylinder, a pent-roof shaped combustion chamber, and 9.0:1 compression ratio, this engine has been carefully designed to produce excellent power characteristics – and best-in-class acceleration.

which is almost the same as what they have for the bolt:The 58 cubic inch (942cc) engine is an air-cooled SOHC 60º V-twin with four valves per cylinder, a pent-roof shaped combustion chamber, and 9.0:1 compression ratio. The engine is designed to provide excellent power and superior low-end torque.

the 950 is an awesome bike by itself, the bolt is just a stripped down restyled version of that. it may lack hydraulic lifters but I bet the first valve check is at 16000 miles, not the every 4000??? miles that older viragos required

this bike is fuel injected as well, this bike definitely competes with the sportster 883, the yamaha's 3.2 gallon tank is a bummer though, the suspension is a wait and see, the r-spec suspension upgrade is only $300 or so and it might make the difference, I do believe that the yamaha does put the Honda Shadow RS sporty look alike out for the count though

but the bottom line is that the sportster and this new yamaha will still probably be lower in class than the Triumph Bonneville  ( just saying )  Tongue

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #8 - 03/09/13 at 23:27:48

LostArtist wrote on 03/09/13 at 23:16:18:
...but the bottom line is that the sportster and this new yamaha will still probably be lower in class than the Triumph Bonneville  ( just saying )  Tongue

There,.. I must agree...
Triumph, totally stepped it up, the right way...
Keeping the classic touches,.. and retaining the beautiful lines, and build quality... while creating a line of competitive performers...
(I lust over the castings, and finishes)... Tongue...

Wish they'd make us a modern classic, 500 thumper...  Huh...

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #9 - 03/10/13 at 05:37:31

Wow!! I LOVE the new Bolt!!!! Cool First modern-era Yamaha that ever appealed to me!

If I had the bucks, I'd probably buy one of those! Cool

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Smokestack

The Devil made me do
it!

The Hammer, Canada
Reply #10 - 03/10/13 at 08:24:06

Another thing to consider, at least around me, is insurance.  I asked around a little while ago about insuring an 883 Sportster a buddy wanted to unload for cheap, and was told by everyone I asked that a between a Harley-Davidson and a comparable CC bike from any other manufacturer ( that isn't a sport bike, anyway) the Harley will have a premium of $400 / yr more, minimum.  A brand name premium? No thanks, I'll just pick up a used one of these in a few years and chop it like I would that Sporty...

Yup, I done some stuff......
  IP Logged
gerald.hughes
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

FSO

Tucson, Az
Reply #11 - 03/10/13 at 11:02:10

Smokestack wrote on 03/10/13 at 08:24:06:
Another thing to consider, at least around me, is insurance.  I asked around a little while ago about insuring an 883 Sportster a buddy wanted to unload for cheap, and was told by everyone I asked that a between a Harley-Davidson and a comparable CC bike from any other manufacturer ( that isn't a sport bike, anyway) the Harley will have a premium of $400 / yr more, minimum.  A brand name premium? No thanks, I'll just pick up a used one of these in a few years and chop it like I would that Sporty...

At Progressive, the insurance on a year old 883 was $95 for full coverage for a year.

IP Logged
Smokestack

The Devil made me do
it!

The Hammer, Canada
Reply #12 - 03/10/13 at 11:56:09

gerald.hughes wrote on 03/10/13 at 11:02:10:
At Progressive, the insurance on a year old 883 was $95 for full coverage for a year.

See, you guys get rates so low in the States that I'm jealous beyond words.  Up here in Canada we pay way higher rates than that.

Regardless, unless someone around southern Ontario knows an insurance company that doesn't charge the "Harley Premium", I refuse to pay extra for a certain brand name on my insurance.  Not even theft insurance, mind you, only the required public liability.

Would I pay more to buy a certain motorcycle of a specific brand?  Sure, if I wanted it enough.  But to pay more insurance for as long as I own it?  Nope...

Yup, I done some stuff......
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #13 - 03/10/13 at 13:17:48

When we speak of insurance, we need to clarify whether that insurance is the legal minimum liability insurance, or whether it includes such things as collision, comprehensive, uninsured/underinsured motorist (mandatory in Nebraska), or more.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #14 - 03/10/13 at 14:26:29

I live in Kanuckistan and only have ever carried the bare minimum required insurance on any Bike that I have owned ... Ride a max of 6 mnths/yr up here and I figure that if I'm in a wreck, the Bike will be the least of my concerns ...

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 16:31:19

General CategoryThe Cafe › yamaha's new Star Bolt

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.