Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Giving credit where its due - gasp, to Bush (Read 94 times)
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Giving credit where its due - gasp, to Bush
03/08/13 at 10:04:50

IMHO, the coolest piece of legislation ever ... and Gasp horror, it was passed by Bush, in fact he even initiated it, and was passed by a republicon rubber stamp congress ...

Day light savings moved up from april to march as well as further out in fall. Being in the southern US its fantastic, usually warm enough to be outside in the extended time through march.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Re: Giving credit where its due - gasp, to Bush
Reply #1 - 03/08/13 at 10:40:31

Srinath -

A bit of history.
DST began during  WW I as an energy saving measure, even back 100 years ago.  When the war ended, so did DST.
DST came back during WW II for the same reason, but since that war lasted longer, people go used to having DST, so states had the option to retain it after WW II ended.  In fact states could actually choose to have only part of the state stay on DST while other parts didn't.  I recall as a child in the 1950s in Ohio that the Cleveland area up north had DST in the summer, while those of us in central Ohio stayed on standard time year around.
Back then, when drive in movies were popular, the lobby group for the owners of drive ins lobbied hard against DST, since it needed to be dark in order to go to a drive in, and the owners didn't want movies to have to wait until nearly 10 PM to start in the summer.
Slowly, DST became more prevalent in the 1970s - I think we in Ohio went for it on a state wide basis around 1970 or a couple of years later.
But I think Arizona and Hawaii still stay on standard time, as they are on the extreme western edges of their time zones and have long evenings even without DST.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 03/08/13 at 11:11:46

The story I heard originally was that it was for farmers so they could shift their time table around.
Later I heard that was a myth and it was done by the fat cats at Wall St. who wanted an extra hour before the market opened, and after it "closed" to conduct business.
I never really researched it.

I still say it's the result of poor planning (The standard 12 month calendar).

--Steve

IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #3 - 03/08/13 at 11:22:17

Paraquat -
I think what I related is accurate.  Of course, there will always be cynics who want to blame anything and everything on some "fat cat" on Wall St.
I know of few farmers who really like DST - most of them whom I know like to get up and get going early, and would rather have daylight at the beginning of their days rather than after supper time in the evening.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #4 - 03/08/13 at 16:53:54

I have lived with DST since 1992 since I landed in the US.
Moving it up in spring and back in fall is 100% bushies baby ...

In effect Obama care is still evolving, I am benifitting by having an autistic child so far and its my favorite presidential law, but DST comes awfully close, and I may enjoy it longer once kiddo grows up and dont need assistance or special insurance.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 03/12/13 at 09:23:29

Whoever came up with it did fine IMO.I like it,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #6 - 03/12/13 at 12:28:31

Couldn't have been for farmers since you work when the weather is right and you have light. Time of day is irrelevant. Even for paid farmhands, since most states exempt agriculture from standard pay groupings, i.e. don't have to pay minimum wage, don't have to pay overtime, don't have to follow mandatory break schedules... don't have to offer vacation, sick time, any other benefits...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #7 - 03/19/13 at 19:33:39

Daylight Saving Time was the brainchild of the DOD. The idea was to shorten the amount of "dark time" between quitting time and bedtime,therefore reducing the amount of energy used for civilian needs and freeing up more for military/production use.

This according  to a military historian I met several years ago. Sounds likely but????

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/05/24 at 13:39:41

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Giving credit where its due - gasp, to Bush

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.