Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Remove gas tank for valves and spark plug? (Read 236 times)
rong

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Remove gas tank for valves and spark plug?
03/07/13 at 19:49:54

I’m new to this site (thinking seriously about getting a savage) and had a question about the replacing the spark plug and adjusting the valves.

I understand that the gas tank must be removed in order to replace the spark plug and adjust the valves.  I read that the tank can be pretty ‘stubborn’ at removal …  and the petcock might even have to be removed.  Is this correct?   One place indicated that putting on a different petcock would solve the problem?

I don’t know the maintenance schedule for adjusting the valves and replacing the spark plug… but if both requires removing the tank, I would assume that it would be better to do them both at the same time.

What is the recommended mileage to replace the spark plug… and to adjust the valves?

Thanks for your help,
Ron G

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Re: Remove gas tank for valves and spark plug?
Reply #1 - 03/07/13 at 20:20:03

Go to the tech section page 3 and go to post 18 or 19 to learn valve adjustment. P 7 post 9 should give info about the raptor type petcock. Page 4 post 11 could be helpful as could page 5 post 5. It may be in your interest to remove the standard petcock before removing the tank, if you wiash to avoid scraping the paint on the frame.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 03/07/13 at 20:53:10

If you take those silly chrome covers off the head, and throw them down the deepest hole you can find,... maintenance becomes much easier...
... and swapping to a Raptor petcock (see Tech section, "Test your petcock")... the tank comes off in 2 minutes... (it's even easy with the stock pet, once you master just where, when, and what, needs to wiggle)... (first time, 45 minutes, busted knuckles and and some frame scratches.... second time, 30 seconds...
...and, probably still one frame scratch)... Grin...

4k miles valve adjustment... (I go 6 or 8k)...
... and my spark plug may be 20k old... (I only changed it once, because I was bored)...

This an easy bike to care for... maybe the easiest one made in the past 25 years...
...(that's one of the main reasons I bought one,... I'm a lazy, forgetful, no good, maintainer)...
Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 03/08/13 at 08:55:41

THERES A MOD, CALLED sPARK plUG dOOR. Ohh, lookie! Caplox! Sorry..

Anyway, one bolt holds the left door secure on the other thats been stuck in tight & cut short. I recently used mine, pulled the plug, didnt hafta fight the tank.
Valves? Ohh yea, youre pullin a tank,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #4 - 03/08/13 at 10:16:25

You can do the valves with the tank on, you just need the combo tool from Honda or Motion Pro. Or a stubby screwdriver. But it is a LOT easier to check them with the tank out of the way.

Maintenance interval? Suggested in the book works for most owners, but can be shortened or stretched as you gain experience with your machine and your riding style.

Bike looks better with the cheap chrome head covers used for something else, like crab trap weights or similar... Roll Eyes

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 03/08/13 at 10:57:54

The fist time you take the tank off....it takes a bit to figure out the steps and the best way to balance the tank while you unplug the speedometer electrical connector.  The change to the Raptor petcocck makes it much faster as you don't have to drain the fuel each time and remvoe the vacuum petcock.  Once you have made the Raptor petcock conversion and practiiced removing the tank a few times - it goes like clockwork and only takes a couple of minutes to remove the seat and tank.....it is really no big deal.

If working on the Savage is intimidatiing to you.......remember that just about every bike is going to be harder to work on than the Savage.  I can have the carb off the Savage in 10 minutes.....I took the carbs off a Honda Magna once and it took 3 hours - and even longer to get them back on!  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
rong

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 03/08/13 at 17:23:23

Thanks for everyones help and ideas.  This is a great site for help and information.

Ron G

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 03/10/13 at 10:20:03

If your first name was Wayne,, You could be Wrong.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
rong

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 03/10/13 at 17:34:47

Yeah, the name 'rong' was somewhat on purpose.  You caught it...!

Ron G

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #9 - 03/16/13 at 20:08:19

While I realize that there are differences from bike to bike, I've never had to remove the tank from mine (see signature) to get to the spark plug.....even when I still had the OEM petcock on there.

Here's what I do:

1.  Remove the seat.

2.  Remove the two bolts from the rear of the fuel tank.

3.  Remove all lines (fuel and vacuum (if you still have one)) from the petcock.

4.  Move the fuel tank back a bit, then prop up the rear of the tank with a short section of 4" X 4".  This will keep the tank out of your way.

5.  Remove the left chrome beauty cover.

6. Slap a wobble adapter on your 3/8" drive ratchet.  Pop an 18mm deep-well socket on the adapter and you've now got access to the spark plug.

Note that, when using this method, I do not have to disconnect the speedo cable or the electrical connector.

IHTH!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
teggy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 03/17/13 at 19:35:02

To remove the tank is very easy on this bike. With most every bike I've ever owned to service them it is just easier to remove the tank. The first reason to remove it when service is needed is to not damage it. If you plan on buying any bike and want to service it plan on buying a service manuel, then you will know what to expect to do when servicing your machine. The Savage is simply the easiest bike to maintain and work on. I rebuilt one over the winter and simply had a blast with it. (I'm a service tech by trade) Don't be shy or scared to buy a bike because you might have to remove a tank to service the valves or plug it's really not that hard and if you can't do that ten pay somone to do it.

Have fun when working on it

IP Logged
rong

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 03/17/13 at 20:45:45

Thanks for the information.

Ron G

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 02:30:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Remove gas tank for valves and spark plug?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.