Fiat 500 (NGC) (Read 246 times)
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Fiat 500 (NGC)
03/07/13 at 11:49:59

Holy cubicle - I just went to look at the Fiat 500 (My Nissan Max is getting old) since I'm going to be in the market for a high MPG 2 person vehicle (I know - enclosed motorcycle!) that I can zip from place to place in New England (must like snow).  Talk about tiny.  Art Garfunkel would never fit his hair in the 500.  Might be fun in Boston though . Shocked

I'm thinking the Fiat would bounce off snow on the road, slipping and sliding to its hearts content.  Anyone own one or have experience with the new model.  I will admit the Abarth add did catch my eye.

I had actualy driven out to the car place cause they dealt in Suzuki Cars - which I was told are no longer here in the US. (I knew this but forgot.)

IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Re: Fiat 500 (NGC)
Reply #1 - 03/07/13 at 12:00:23

my brother-in-law has an Abarth, I don't know, I don't get it. ever since I started riding, I haven't been happy with any cars. but I've made bad choices,

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #2 - 03/07/13 at 14:36:38

A co-worker hubby bought the 500C "lounge" but he somehow got a deal on it for like $15k ( with trad of an old SMart car). She says its a lot better on the back... but we dont have snow down here.

My idea of a small 2-seater = Mazda Miata
or Toyota Mr2
or Porshe
or BMW Z

Fiat.... ummm not on the list

Now an Atom would be killer!!

http://www.arielatom.com/

IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #3 - 03/07/13 at 14:46:39

We're starting to see more of them here in Columbus, Ohio area.  I personally think they look neat - I've always liked small cars, and have had about a dozen old VW Bugs ( not the new ones ) in my lifetime.

I have a buddy who has a Smart - that thing looks dangerous, but he drives about 50 miles each way to work and gets about 45 mpg.

What's the mileage rating on the Fiat 500?  Do you have a dealer close for service?  Don't know about you, but I'm a firm believer in getting cars serviced at the dealer for many reasons, including but not limited to the fact that if a tech screws up, you've got the dealer and the manufacturer behind him.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #4 - 03/07/13 at 15:41:31

A Smart only gets 45mpg? I was not expecting that at all. Plenty of cars get that and they aren't death traps. For something that small and light I was really expecting at least 50.

As far as getting your car fixed at the dealer; if you've got a ton of money, don't care about getting over-charged and have no skill - go for it.

IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #5 - 03/07/13 at 15:59:09

I have found that dealer service is no more expensive than Billy Bob's garage.
I like OEM parts, and techs who are properly trained on my car, not dozens of other types where the guy may, or may not know what he's tearing into.
Example - back 20 years ago, my wife thought she heard a noise in her transmission in her '93 BMW 5 series wagon with only 2,000 miles till warranty expired.  She took it to dealer, the guy put in it gear on the lift, took a doc's stethoscope on the tranny case and started listening to the tranny.
He heard the noise, told her it'd be about 10 minutes to call BMW and get approval to tear into it.
He came back saying that the factory wouldn't let him get into it - her brand new tranny would be shipped that day - the factory wanted hers shipped back, untouched, so they could autopsy it and figure out what happened.
New tranny was $3500 - all replaced totally under warranty.  Would you get that from Billy Bob?  Doubtful.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #6 - 03/07/13 at 16:12:59

It depends on the dealer. I've always done my own work, because it was cheaper and I enjoy it. However, dealers are hurting for business and make good money on service, so they are trying to get back to giving service worthy of the hourly rates they charge. Same goes for motorcycle dealerships.

And a lot depends on your manner, volume of your voice and choice of words when you describe your problem.  Smiley

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #7 - 03/07/13 at 16:17:57

Jerry Eichenberger wrote on 03/07/13 at 15:59:09:
I have found that dealer service is no more expensive than Billy Bob's garage.
I like OEM parts, and techs who are properly trained on my car, not dozens of other types where the guy may, or may not know what he's tearing into.
Example - back 20 years ago, my wife thought she heard a noise in her transmission in her '93 BMW 5 series wagon with only 2,000 miles till warranty expired.  She took it to dealer, the guy put in it gear on the lift, took a doc's stethoscope on the tranny case and started listening to the tranny.
He heard the noise, told her it'd be about 10 minutes to call BMW and get approval to tear into it.
He came back saying that the factory wouldn't let him get into it - her brand new tranny would be shipped that day - the factory wanted hers shipped back, untouched, so they could autopsy it and figure out what happened.
New tranny was $3500 - all replaced totally under warranty.  Would you get that from Billy Bob?  Doubtful.

So many things wrong with what you just said. For starters - you didn't find that the dealer was "no more expensive" because dealer bills are sometimes twice as what you'd pay at a chain. This is why chains exist in the first place.

Second - The same guys that work at dealers work at chains. I know this because the vast majority of my friends are mechanics. They all bounce from shop to shop whether it's a dealer or not.

Third - Warranty work. If you have a car that's under warranty - you aren't paying for it in the first place so of course you'd go to the dealer. And as far as getting a transmission for free - do you really think you're getting that anywhere when a car is out of warranty?

Clearly you're talking out of your ass.

*edit* Oh - and "Billy Bob's" would be the cheapest of the three because they don't have huge overhead from franchise fees.

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #8 - 03/07/13 at 19:56:44

Like Jerry, I usually use the dearler especially if the car is still in warranty; I don't want them to have the excuse some else screwed it up.  After the warranty, it depends how complex I think the problem is.  My suspician is the dealers mechanics have seen brand x's blet exchange, for example more than my very good local shadetree who I use for all maintenance and brake crap once warranty is gone.

Gonna teest drive the Abaarth next week if'n we get a pleasant (non-snowy) day.  Will report in if I do drive it.  Happy Spring snow day.

Pine - I do love the Mazda also, but I have so little hair left and precancerous skin spots, i thinking top down may not be the way to go.

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #9 - 03/08/13 at 03:20:04

The Fiat 500 is a very cool little car and just might meet your driving requirements with a lot more panache than my '08 Yaris 2-Dr HB ... which BTW, even with a 5-spd hasn't gotten any better than 34mpg ... but is decent enough in the snow (equipped with winter tires) ... and we get LOTS of snow up here! I'd say the 500 would be at least as good driving in the white stuff ...

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 03/08/13 at 05:10:19

According to Fiat's official mileage statement the 500 gets 31 mpg in the city and 40 mpg highway.  The 40 mpg highway rating was about 38 last year and the 40 is the latest claim.  I think you can do as well and have more comfort.  An environmentally concerned neighbor has a Smart car and a Prius.  The Prius easily has the best mileage and they fight over who gets to drive it because the Smart is not very comfortable and sucks up more gas.  So smaller does not necessarily equate to better mileage.

There was a surge in the popularity of Fiats in this country in the early seventies and sales were brisk among young people.  It didn't last long because the quality was horrible and they rusted like crazy in the north. The quality could be better now, time will tell. 

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #11 - 03/08/13 at 06:45:16

I don't get the Prius at all.  Why bother with batteries that are horribly expensive to replace after a few years?  If mileage is your main goal, why not just go diesel, like a VW Golf diesel?  Mileage is actually better, and srevice life can't be beat.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #12 - 03/08/13 at 06:47:35

Cavi Mike -

Glad to see that you are such a gentleman in your choice of verbage in your response.
I'm sure that your vast experience outpaces mine, so, whatever you say.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #13 - 03/08/13 at 10:55:44

A good friend of mine works at a local Chrysler/Fiat dealership and he sez that the new 500s are waaaaaaaaaaaaay ahead of the quality of the older Fiats from decades past ... the new Fiat 500 is at least as reliable as most subcompact imports on the North American market today and have a decent warranty as well ... If I were interested in one, I wouldn't let the reputation of 1970's era Fiats sway my decision ...

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #14 - 03/08/13 at 11:04:55

Perry -

That's what I've heard from a Chrysler dealer who is a client and a friend.  So, the days of Fix It Again, Tony are behind us.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 16:32:03

General CategoryThe Cafe › Fiat 500 (NGC)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.