Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tank and electrics question (Read 132 times)
Jahoo

Annapolis,MD
Tank and electrics question
03/04/13 at 08:56:27

So after hitting a snag on my bobber build, I finally am ready to switch out my tank for a sportster tank. What electrics that were under the original tank can go and what do I need to know about switching out this tank?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Tank and electrics question
Reply #1 - 03/04/13 at 09:20:38

YOu can ditch the compression release solenoid & associated wires & build a manual setup. Other than that, IDK of any electrical stuff under there that isnt pretty much part of the nervous system.
As for "What do I do to make it fit?", you mite find some old posts & pics in Tech.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 03/04/13 at 18:07:31

You are going to have to find a place to put your indicator lights for the turn signals, neutral light, high beamr......and if your bike is old enough to have a kickstand warning light.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #3 - 03/05/13 at 01:43:26

I assume you're talking about the wiring going to the gauge cluster.

Nothing in the gauge cluster is required for the bike to function normally. Every wire going to it is tapped in from the harness and you can cut them right off if you want.

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #4 - 03/05/13 at 02:04:59

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 03/04/13 at 09:20:38:
YOu can ditch the compression release solenoid & associated wires & build a manual setup. Other than that, IDK of any electrical stuff under there that isnt pretty much part of the nervous system.
As for "What do I do to make it fit?", you mite find some old posts & pics in Tech.

Interesting...

Would this mean "ditch the decompression solenoid, and connect the wires to a "press to function" button next to the left control switches ?
To start, press "start" on right and "lil'red button" on left, then release left and see engine start ?

Roll Eyes As in, "whizzwhizzwhizzthumpthump" ?   Smiley

Does the decompression solenoid keep the (one) exhaust valves open for the entire duration of the compression stroke, or only the first portion of it ?

Meaning... if I press the button for one or two complete cycles, am I in danger of hittinh the valves in the upstroke of the piston ?  Shocked

Roll Eyes As in, "whizzcrunchwhizzcrunch...oh, shi-ite"  Undecided

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #5 - 03/05/13 at 04:56:46

If that were possible the system would be flawed. Something like that would never make it to production due to its over-complication.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 03/05/13 at 06:53:16

The solenoid is the mechanical part that makes the decomp lever swing. Without that solenoid to yank on the cable, you have no decomp.
Solution?
Look at a way to move it manually,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 03/05/13 at 07:19:12

mpescatori wrote on 03/05/13 at 02:04:59:
justin_o_guy2 wrote on 03/04/13 at 09:20:38:

Interesting...

Would this mean "ditch the decompression solenoid, and connect the wires to a "press to function" button next to the left control switches ?
To start, press "start" on right and "lil'red button" on left, then release left and see engine start ?

Roll Eyes As in, "whizzwhizzwhizzthumpthump" ?   Smiley

Does the decompression solenoid keep the (one) exhaust valves open for the entire duration of the compression stroke, or only the first portion of it ?

Meaning... if I press the button for one or two complete cycles, am I in danger of hittinh the valves in the upstroke of the piston ?  Shocked

Roll Eyes As in, "whizzcrunchwhizzcrunch...oh, shi-ite"  Undecided

The starter spins the crank about 300 rpm give or take 50... that's 5 rev per second.  The solenoid operates for 1/2 a second.  2 and a 1/2 rev's if everything starts spinning instantaniously and adjusted to a gnat's ptouie.

forgetaboutit.

the solenoid only cracks the valve open a little.

WWW   IP Logged
clearush

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Deer Park,TX
Reply #8 - 03/05/13 at 12:40:44

A few of us have RpNsht solution installed on ours http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1338020228

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 07:20:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Tank and electrics question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.