Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Steering lock, and security measures (Read 421 times)
wheelsoffreedom76
YaBB Newbies

Kansas
Steering lock, and security measures
03/02/13 at 08:07:40

The steering lock on my S40 will not lock, it seems simple enough but maybe there is a trick I dont know. I have tried turning the key applying light pressure while turning the bars slowly back and forth looking for the spot it will lock the pin but it is smooth all the way and the key never tries to turn further at any point. Undecided.
     On that note I've always been skeptical of steering locks because if someone tried to jimmy it and failed, I may not be able to unlock it at that point if they have bent the pin, or ruined the lock cylinder and I'd be calling a tow truck to get the bike home.
     I have watched some youtube videos on almax chains and various other super thick chains. How do you guys protect your bike while you are in the workplace, or the mall etc. I have a large cable lock going through the back wheel and around the frame when leaving it unattended away from home. I know any locking device will only buy time for me or someone to question a would be thief about why he's messing with the bike and locks.

06 S40
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Steering lock, and security measures
Reply #1 - 03/02/13 at 08:29:38

Well, you're right... A steering lock ain't much...
I posted a utube vid a while back of a guy stealing a bike...
He broke the steering lock in a couple of seconds just by turning the handlebars...

A Savage is not a popular bike for thieves... because it's not a popular bike... it also lacks the expensive plastic frills that squids are so good at scratching and breaking... and the expensive add-on parts that adorn Harleys...
So,.. it's not likely to be stolen....  if it is, it will be some kid lookin' for a joy ride...

At night, I run a cable through the spokes and lock it to the disc...
In parking lots,.. just try to park in an open, visible, area...
I also leave my helmet and gloves unattended on the bike... (this may make thieves think I'm not gone for long)...(I've even left shopping bags of stuff bungied to the bars)...
Never had anything stolen...

Those disc locks are supposed to be good,.. but two strong fella's can just lift the bike and throw it in a truck... (I've even seen a Harley stolen that way)...

I just try to make it look like this a bike you don't want to try to steal... (this bike belongs to someone that might not like you touching it)...
Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #2 - 03/02/13 at 08:43:42

If someone wants it bad enough they will take it no matter what you do. Fork locks are useless and serve only to stop kids from rolling your bike around. (other than in circles) Cable locks can be cut with bolt cutters. Locks on brake disks can be picked easily. All it takes for someone to do spend some time picking, cutting,ect. without questions being asked is to have two guys there, one with "locksmith" on his shirt and another pretending it's his bike. No-one would ask questions anyway.
The good news is- nobody wants to steal our bikes. There is no market for parts, so they are not stolen to chop up. If your really worried, park it beside a Harley. Wink
The best way to prevent someone from driving away on your bike or car is to install a hidden cut off switch in the starter circuit, or coil.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #3 - 03/02/13 at 19:23:34

wheelsoffreedom76 wrote on 03/02/13 at 08:07:40:
The steering lock on my S40 will not lock, it seems simple enough but maybe there is a trick I dont know. I have tried turning the key applying light pressure while turning the bars slowly back and forth looking for the spot it will lock the pin but it is smooth all the way and the key never tries to turn further at any point. Undecided.
     On that note I've always been skeptical of steering locks because if someone tried to jimmy it and failed, I may not be able to unlock it at that point if they have bent the pin, or ruined the lock cylinder and I'd be calling a tow truck to get the bike home.
     I have watched some youtube videos on almax chains and various other super thick chains. How do you guys protect your bike while you are in the workplace, or the mall etc. I have a large cable lock going through the back wheel and around the frame when leaving it unattended away from home. I know any locking device will only buy time for me or someone to question a would be thief about why he's messing with the bike and locks.

Until I realized nobody would likely steal my bike, I locked it with a Kryptonite-type U-shaped lock around the rear wheel. Afterward, I used the fork lock when I didn't want people to be able to move it around. The lock took a few applications of WD-40 before it loosened up enough to work. Spray some in the cylinder and work the cylinder, pushing down on the key as you rotate it, until it will move in and lock. The correct handlebar position is about 1/8" short of being turned all the way to the left.

- David
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #4 - 03/02/13 at 22:37:09

I think I used the Fork lock on mine all of 2 times after I bought the bike.  To be honest it's more trouble then it's worth.  Locks in general are only there to keep honest people honest.  It doesn't matter how good of a lock or how many you have on your bike or what ever your locking up, if someone wants it they are going to take it.  That's why newer vehicles have go to transponder type keys that are tied to the ECM's.  Granted that still doesn't make them un-stealable, but it takes a whole new class of thief to be able to pull it off, unless you did something stupid like install a remote starter system on your vehicle, because with those you have to use either a box that is programed to bypass the key to ecm transponder system or leave a programed key hidden in the vehicle within a certain distance of the ecm itself for the remote starter system to work.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #5 - 03/03/13 at 00:08:56

I used to have one of the front disc locks. Easy to forget it's on there, even with the bright plastic cable they have you run up to the handle bars. Seems like about the easiest option as long as unlike me, you don't try to ride off with it locked in place. Good news - you don't get up much speed before it stops you. Bad news - you might be having to do a load of laundry after the first time you get surprised by the front wheel locking up and the back wheel trying to be somewhere else for a split second.

Ah, good memories of good times.

Jack

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #6 - 03/03/13 at 05:21:40

Locks of any sort will not stop a skilled motorcycle stealer who really wants to steal your bike.

Locks, do, however, slow them down a minute or two.

Locks, even cheapo locks, will dampen the enthusiasm of a stealer who wants to steal the bike quickly and easily,.... and can find a more convenient source without having to mess with a lock.

Locks also tend to keep folks, who actually aren't stealers but just want to mess with the bike, away.

Decades ago I bought a box of good, medium-sized Master locks, keyed alike.  For the rest of my life, then, I am able to use those locks for just about everything,.. sheds, toolboxes, several motorcycles, lockers, etc.,.. and yet all I had to carry was one key.  I realize they won't deter a skilled stealer, but they do work for usually honest people having a momentary problem with judgement.  

I use one on the RYCA bike putting it on the rotor,... with a thin bungee that goes from the lock to the handlebars to remind me the lock is there, so I don't break anything by trying to ride off with a lock on the brake.  I have seen someone actually do that,.. that is when I started using the skinny bungee cord.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 03/03/13 at 07:16:07

Parking the Savage procedure.

Roll up to "Wherever".
Sidestand down, key off.
Sit there & take off the gloves & helmet.
Walk in store, leaving keys dangling.

Of course I jest, but I cant tell you how many times Ive done it. Get ready to leave & slap my pocket, looking for keys & "Theyre GONE!",, scary, but its always been there.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #8 - 03/03/13 at 09:19:47

Jack_650 wrote on 03/03/13 at 00:08:56:
I used to have one of the front disc locks. Easy to forget it's on there, even with the bright plastic cable they have you run up to the handle bars. Seems like about the easiest option as long as unlike me, you don't try to ride off with it locked in place. Good news - you don't get up much speed before it stops you. Bad news - you might be having to do a load of laundry after the first time you get surprised by the front wheel locking up and the back wheel trying to be somewhere else for a split second.

Ah, good memories of good times.

Jack

I'm not worried about a skilled thief. He doesn't want my bike, he wants one that's worth something on the market or as parts. I do want to deter someone who thinks it would be fun to wheel it away when, say, I'm at some motel mid-way between where I started and where I want to wind up, and I think the fork lock is just enough of a discouragement to do that, so I no longer bother with the Kryptonite lock on the wheel.

- David
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #9 - 03/03/13 at 09:33:05

The other thing,... speaking of malcontents rather than thieves, is that if someone is just looking to make trouble, and they find that the bike is locked, they just push it over, or vandalize it...
Seems like you just can't win...

I only ever lock it at home, for overnight protection...
In public, I work on the principal if I make the bike look unprotected, they will assume I'm nearby,...
... and confident...
...(for whatever reason they might imagine)... Grin...

IP Logged
wheelsoffreedom76
YaBB Newbies

Kansas
Reply #10 - 03/03/13 at 13:44:41

Well, I tried pushing in on the key and turning and it locks just fine. I had it in my head for some reason that the lock just turned back and forth. Thanks for the help guys, It's a learning experience for sure.

06 S40
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #11 - 03/03/13 at 17:22:39

wheelsoffreedom76 wrote on 03/03/13 at 13:44:41:
Well, I tried pushing in on the key and turning and it locks just fine. I had it in my head for some reason that the lock just turned back and forth. Thanks for the help guys, It's a learning experience for sure.

Oh yeah,.. could be that... Grin Grin Grin...

IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #12 - 03/03/13 at 18:23:38

Serowbot wrote on 03/03/13 at 17:22:39:

Oh yeah,.. could be that... Grin Grin Grin...

Just don't ask for a show of hands how many of us have made the same oops Huh

Wink

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 03/04/13 at 09:04:24

Yep.....the first time I locked mine it was an adventure.  The second time it went much better.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 03/04/13 at 09:35:14

Dave wrote on 03/04/13 at 09:04:24:

Yep.....the first time I locked mine it was an adventure.  The second time it went much better.

Absolutely,, quick learning curve.. But, after about 6 or 8 times I stopped messin with it,, No ones gonna up & swipe it, not where I live, anyway. Or at a store. If I lived in an apartment, Itd be locked to something at nite. If I lived in a place where it was in site at nite?? Locked up,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 01:22:05

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Steering lock, and security measures

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.