Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Head Gasket and Head Cap Install (Read 309 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Head Gasket and Head Cap Install
Reply #15 - 03/08/13 at 08:17:31

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 03/04/13 at 08:42:58:
Wheres the crushed up brillo pad stuff?

If it behaves normally, it stays scrunched up inside the recess in the cover half.   But you are right, it should be checked to make sure it is still there when you put the thing back together.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Rocket
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 03/11/13 at 09:28:27

I just finished assembly of head gasket and cap last night.  I wish I'd passed on the head gasket as it is a lot more work than just doing the cap, and as I examined things once they were apart, it appears there was really nothing wrong with the head gasket and oil was leaking down from the area below the cap.  Ah well!

On another note, I worry (and will till I start the bike!) that I may not have the cam chain exactly aligned with the crank.   I did have the bike at TDC per the little "T" mark on the left flywheel (?) and the two marks on the cam parallel to the top of the head, but I worry that there is a little bit of subjectivity in whether the 'T' is perfectly aligned.  Thinking back I didn't try changing the chain on the cam gear one link to the left and one link to the right to see if I could make the alignment even better.  Any thoughts on this issue?  

Thanks ...Rocket

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #17 - 03/11/13 at 10:17:51

With a brand new chain, and the TDC mark lined up, the cam marks will line up perfectly horizontal.

With a used chain, stretched a bit, the front side, which is straight, will be a little longer.  So the cam marks will be a little raised on that side.

I would try to get it to show slightly below then set it to the next tooth over for slightly above.

One tooth off and it won't run right, but not explode.  More than that can't tell you.  No ones ever admitted to more.   Shocked

WWW   IP Logged
Rocket
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 03/11/13 at 10:50:23

Thanks.  I already buttoned it up, but if it won't run right, I'll know where to look.  If its off, its only one tooth so I won't blow it up!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 01:22:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Head Gasket and Head Cap Install

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.