Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Questions about the Suzuki Savage/s40 (Read 323 times)
rong

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Questions about the Suzuki Savage/s40
02/26/13 at 18:44:09

Hello,
I’m new to the Suzuki Savage website.  The Suzuki Savage/S40 is one of the bikes I am very interested in getting.  However, there are a few questions about the bike that I’m hoping you can answer.  (Sorry for all the questions … I’m just getting used to the website, so not sure where exactly to post this.)

First, I am 6’2” tall, about 185 pounds.  I have heard that the bike is small and may not be right for a person over 6’.  How do you, or some of riders over 6’ feel about this?  Are they happy about the bike just as it is?  Are there any adjustments necessary for tall riders?   OF  If you feel cramped buy a set of forward controls -- see marketplace

I am planning on taking some long distant trips and wondered how experienced riders feel about the bike's vibration levels.  (I know this is a subjective question, but still would be interested in your thoughts).   Also thoughts about the original seat.    If you think you want an open road cruser, look at a bigger bike.   This can go long distances, but not at the comfort level of a bigger bike.

Regarding the bike’s weak cam chain adjuster, I understand there is a ‘versy adjuster’ that can be purchased on this site.  Can the ‘versy adjuster’ be installed on a brand new bike? (I would prefer to do it right away).  Who can I contact to talk about this part … (preferably a phone number)?   Wait until 13,000 miles from now and then ask again.

Regarding the Raptor pet thingy part … Should this be installed right away on a new bike?  Or is the old pet thingy reliable for a few years?   It is reliable for the first few years, or until you start modding the carb, air filter, exhaust system, whichever comes first.

Finally, how many miles have you seen on these bikes before an engine overhaul is needed?  100,000 miles? … 75,000 miles? … 50,000 miles?  I assume the members on this site would have a good idea about this.

Thanks for any information you can provide.

IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Re: Questions about the Suzuki Savage/s40
Reply #1 - 02/26/13 at 19:10:52

Welcome rong!

I can't answer all your questions,but I'll get it started.

I'm 5'10" and the bike fits me fine after I did the seat modification. That is a simple mod that only requires 2 rubber bottle stoppers(or other 3/4"-1 1/4"long and 1" round)pieces and a couple longer bolts for your front seat mount bracket. You can find more info and a photo layout about the seat mod in the Technical Section. If I was any taller I'd need the "forward controls",also covered in Tech and aftermarket handle-bars.

Several of the group here have switched out their seats for ones from Corbin or others for a better ride but I'm fine with the stock seat on my '96 for 100 mile runs(by then I have to stop for fuel anyway).

On the subject of vibration I'm a poor judge. I rode the old British twins and singles for years and they vibrated sooooo bad I needed a crowbar to pry my hands loose from the grips. My savage has far less vibration than the oldies did!

On the Versy chain adjuster,check out the post in the Tech section to see a lot of info. I would not make that mod or the vac operated fuel
valve until the factory warr. was out. The  factory cam chain adjuster is good(mostly)for somewhere between 12k and 25K miles. I have 16K+ on my bike and the original "vac-sucker petcock is still working so far.

Good luck!

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 02/26/13 at 20:47:47

I'm 6' and comfortable on a nearly stock bike.
however, the seat comfort ends at an hour for me.
and I changed out the handlebars.

and don't bother with a corbin, not really geared for tall people.
most of the adapted seats raise you up a bit and back, about the same as forward controls, so you might want to try one at a time.

and I wouldn't change anything till you got some mileage on it.  the adjuster and petcock aren't that weak.

what do you call a rebuild?  a verslavy will give about 50k before the chain wears out  about then you'll probably need rings.  How much longer will a bottom end go?  idk.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 02/26/13 at 21:59:16

I'll just answer to one question...
Vibration... is not a problem...  The old days are over,.. and this thumper is very calm... 4cyl vibes can be eyeball rattlin'... Harleys will loosen teeth... my bike is as smooth as a bicycle...  
Some great counterbalance engineering here...

Beyond that... I "Raptored" at 4k,,.. and "Versied" at 24k.. and I was close... but, from here on,.. at 31k.. she runs better than new... and I hope for 100k plus... (this is the only bike out there, that really appeals to me,.. and as near as I can tell,..I may hear some chain noise, someday, and replace it, and if needed I'll do rings while I'm in there... but, with a Versy, and a Raptor, I feel confident)...
I'm 5'-8"... so it fits me fine... beyond that,.. we have members 6'-5",.. and others near 400lbs.. the bike will pull...(torque is god),.. and size, and fit,, is more fashion than anything...
This bike ain't perfect... but, it's the only one out there of it's kind...  ...if it suits you,.. you can make the rest work...
Simple,.. cheap,.. easy to work with... and enough torque to pull stumps...
What it won't do, is triple digit mph...  glam the butt jewelry crowd,.. or be your lazyboy on the interstate...
Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #4 - 02/26/13 at 22:06:06

I really wish somebody had archived the original forum (Bert Heise out of Germany)...

I'm 6'2" 240 pounds. My bike has the following "make it fit a bit better" modifications: 15" rise handlebars, better grips, Kawasaki VN800A seat, HD half moon floorboards shoved as far forward as possible, taller rear shocks off an 800 Intruder, extra oil in the front fork.

Parts you WILL learn to hate: stock seat, stock mirrors, stock grips, stock bars, stock pegs, stock shocks, stock fork.

That said, I've had mine since February 1998. I've done all day on it stock and been fine or so stiff I could barely pry myself off of it. Road quality has a LOT to do with the ride quality. Wife and I have ridden it 2 up with the stock seat and pillion, but only when absolutely necessary. I quite often rode it with feet and hands on the stock controls, my butt on the pillion to stretch out.

It is a great little bike. It is a miserable excuse for a long distance bike at my size. I haven't finished the latest round of changes, but the ones listed above should make it at least mediocre for distance riding, the wheelbase is a bit small for me (so is the engine, I like 1000cc or bigger for distance riding).  It will be just about perfect for shorter rides.

I'm always on the look out for something more height/weight appropriate, along the lines of a Kawasaki VN1500 anything other than the 1500A. BUT, and this is an elephant sized butt... I've got over 25 years of saddle time. I know what I need bike wise for any given purpose, there is a reason my wife and I each have 2 bikes currently.

There is no such thing as an off the showroom floor perfect bike. But the Savage platform is a pretty good place to start. Cheap, light, pretty reliable, one on Bert's forum went over 200K miles before it gave up the ghost.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #5 - 02/26/13 at 22:10:18

rong wrote on 02/26/13 at 18:44:09:
Hello,
I am planning on taking some long distant trips and wondered how experienced riders feel about the bike's vibration levels.  (I know this is a subjective question, but still would be interested in your thoughts).   Also thoughts about the original seat.  

My 2007 S40 was a gift to me from a brother who wanted to lure me back into motorcycling, and it's not the bike I would have bought. I'm 5'11", 180lb, and I find it a bit small and underpowered on the highway. That having been said, I have ridden it 375 miles in a day and not been bothered much by the stock seat or the vibration. And I'm an old guy!

- David
  IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Reply #6 - 02/27/13 at 06:01:52

rong,
I will throw in my 2 cents about long distance trips. I am a beginning rider in my early 60's and chose the S40 as my first bike because of it's small size, light weight, and more than adequate but not excessive power. I am 6'2" and 220 pounds. Do I look a little bit like an elephant on a tricycle? Sure. Do I care? Nope.

Last September I took the bike on a 1,968 mile road trip. The longest daily segment covered 511 miles over 16 hours. I used mainly two lane US highways but did jump on the Interstate for about 200 miles in Ohio where the speed limit is 65. The bike was more than capable of keeping up with traffic and dicing with the big trucks. With that said, I found the two lane roads a more enjoyable ride.

I added forward controls from Routy. Ed L. also makes a great set. You can contact them in the Tech section Marketplace -v1. I also did the seat mod and put on an $80 Air Hawk II seat pad. These plus the back pad on the Saddlemen tail bag and Memphis Slim windshield made the bike very comfortable, at least to me. Below is a picture of the bike before I headed out on the trip last fall. (I have made additional modifications over the winter; adding a Corbin saddle, fork brace, 11.5" progressive shocks, slightly larger rear tire, and an aftermarket muffler and carb re-jet. All have made a noticible difference in handling, comfort, and performance.)

One thing that you also need to consider is the limited fuel range. You will not get much more than 100 miles between fuel stops. If you are looking for a traditional 700 plus pound Interstate cruiser, the S40 is not your bike. If you are new to biking or looking for a small, light, economical bike and are willing to do a few simple modifications, you would be well served to consider the S40. I bought it with the idea I would learn on it and then move on to a larger, more powerful bike. I now plan on keeping it and just enjoying the ride.
Good hunting

« Last Edit: 02/27/13 at 07:16:19 by verslagen1 »  

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
savagerider87

Riding a quality
Japanese machine
since '13

Northern NY
Reply #7 - 02/27/13 at 08:51:01

when looking for a savage, try to find one that is a 1993 or newer model year only because it has a 5 speed trans as opposed to an older model that use a 4 speed transmission like my 87.... this will save  u some gas mileage and as far as reliability, my bike has been stored for about 5 years and i recently put some fresh gas and an oil change and plug in it and she fired right up, and i also have the original petcock and have had no issues so far... As far as vibration goes, it is noticeable but not to the point where it will drive u crazy it is overall a very smooth running bike that will do highway speeds with ease.  The gentleman i bought my bike from is 6'3 and about 230 lbs and he said that he had no problem with the bikes performance at all so it shouldnt be a bad ride for you.... good luck.

1987 650 F Jardine exhaust,custom leather lever covers,and Corbin seat
2014 Star Bolt R-Spec
  IP Logged
rong

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 02/27/13 at 10:35:53

Thanks, everyone, for contributing.  This helps a lot.  It sounds like a great bike... and you're a great group of experienced riders.

I have had some experiece riding and like the simplicity of the bike.  And as some of you can identify with, I'm an 'old timer'...!

If any others wish to contribute, feel free.  I am always interested in your thoughts.

(This is my first response to a question... so I hope this come out at the right spot..)

rong
Ron G

IP Logged
Dj12midnit
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

If you'r here and
I'm here isn't this
our time?

Lynden Wa.
Reply #9 - 02/27/13 at 17:51:38

Well I am six one and am around three hundred pounds. Bought the s40 with eleven miles and put about thirty thousand on it before handing over to the Wife. I loved my Corbin seat and my taller rear shocks but the rest was stock. The day after I got my Corbin I did three hundred miles stopping only for gas to break her in. I did get the "you need a bigger bike" comments, but it was great for getting back and forth to work. I will tell you though that after putting twelve thousand on my C50 when I first jump on the S40 she does feel a little small. But she is still fun to throw around a corner.

http://www.suzukiownersclub.net

2006 Progressive 412-4236C, Big Crank, TKat F\B, ME880 Rear.
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #10 - 02/27/13 at 18:00:06

rong wrote on 02/27/13 at 10:35:53:
Thanks, everyone, for contributing.  This helps a lot.  It sounds like a great bike... and you're a great group of experienced riders.

I have had some experiece riding and like the simplicity of the bike.  And as some of you can identify with, I'm an 'old timer'...!

If any others wish to contribute, feel free.  I am always interested in your thoughts.

(This is my first response to a question... so I hope this come out at the right spot..)

rong
Ron G

You're doing fine Ron! Keep a'rollin'. If you want to post where you are(at least by state if not exact city) this site opens up even more for you because there's nothing this group like better than to get together for a putt or bench racing session!

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #11 - 02/28/13 at 08:25:53

I use mine as a cummuter bike for work (20 miles per day).  I have a younge kid ( 21) that wants to trade me even for his 800C Vtwin, because he is tired of parking and having to work so hard backing up.

Size wise the bike is SMALL when your on the interstate and hitting bumps.. the bike is PERFECT when your pushing the bike in and out of a parking space!

As for me.. I am only 5'7" and 160, so I really dont have any "size" issues. I do want to make some mods that would make ME more comfortable:
raise the handle bars
replace the shocks
Extend the crash bar foot pegs

Things I think Suzuki could have done better on the bike:
Bigger gastank
better seat/placement
.... thats a pretty short list!

Welcome to the Forums!

IP Logged
MShipley
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 02/28/13 at 09:08:53

I primarily use mine as an around town bike. I do have an 1100. However with ed. l's extended controls and drag bars I feel more stretched out and comfortable on the Savage than the bigger bike. I do not battle big rigs on the interstate with it but I much prefer riding the savage because it is simplicity at its best, it is light, agile enough for me and plenty of power around town.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #13 - 02/28/13 at 14:32:22

Pine wrote on 02/28/13 at 08:25:53:
I use mine as a cummuter bike for work (20 miles per day).  I have a younge kid ( 21) that wants to trade me even for his 800C Vtwin, because he is tired of parking and having to work so hard backing up.

Size wise the bike is SMALL when your on the interstate and hitting bumps.. the bike is PERFECT when your pushing the bike in and out of a parking space!

As for me.. I am only 5'7" and 160, so I really dont have any "size" issues. I do want to make some mods that would make ME more comfortable:
raise the handle bars
replace the shocks
Extend the crash bar foot pegs

Things I think Suzuki could have done better on the bike:
Bigger gastank
better seat/placement
.... thats a pretty short list!

Welcome to the Forums!

Don't do it... if it's a Kawasaki the 800 Classic is a nice looking/sitting bike that handles like a pig trying to roller skate on greased ice. Had one, hated it, but, I did have the 21" front wheel A first... which has better bars, better seat, and better rake/trail stats.

If you'd come get your back tire you can test sit the "monster" mess that is my Savage... 15s may be a bit high for you though...  Wink

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 15:27:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Questions about the Suzuki Savage/s40

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.