Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Hydrodynamic Tire Balancing (Read 339 times)
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Re: Hydrodynamic Tire Balancing
Reply #15 - 02/22/13 at 09:30:23

scubachef wrote on 02/22/13 at 08:32:55:
Thanks for the responses everyone.  Good to hear some experience with this specific product as well.  I am going to give it a go!

Good idea.  What's the worst that could happen?,.... it doesn't work and you revert to old-style balancing.  Ain't no biggy.

You'll be pleased though.  I've always used PJ1 as the balancer.  There are other brands that do the same thing,... even slime.

« Last Edit: 02/22/13 at 12:32:09 by Gyrobob »  

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #16 - 02/22/13 at 09:31:26

DavidOfMA wrote on 02/22/13 at 09:21:32:
Serowbot wrote on 02/21/13 at 17:19:14:
Tire shops will curse you...

I don't see why they would. The stuff is in the tube, not the tire, and anyway it's water soluble.

Most of my bikes for the last few decades have had tubeless tires,.. so it is messy when you change a tire.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #17 - 02/22/13 at 10:11:53

We use a calcium based weight solution in the larger tractors. No sealant capability in the stuff. After a few years the rims have rotted (usually around the valve stem) to the point of add tubes or swap out for new rims.

Standard balance weights on the cars and trucks.

Lead balance the bare rim, then add the bike tire. I've never had to add additional weight on any tire I've mounted up, and I've done hundreds. If the customer did not tell me there was "gunk" in his tire/tube before I started in on it, he got charged $100 extra for the nuisance factor. It may say water soluble, but once it has been in use for a few months (or years) it takes a wire brush and kerosene to get it out of the rim.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #18 - 02/22/13 at 10:23:57

WD wrote on 02/22/13 at 10:11:53:
We use a calcium based weight solution in the larger tractors. No sealant capability in the stuff. After a few years the rims have rotted (usually around the valve stem) to the point of add tubes or swap out for new rims.

I had a 1984 Gold Wing Standard that I put over 100,000 miles on in over two decades.  As you would expect, I went through a LOT of rear tires.  
-- I always used PJ1 Balance Plus instead of wheel weights.  It was messy when I took the tire off each time, but nothing more than a few paper towels were required for clean up.  
-- I replaced the valve stem a few times, but only because it seemed to be the right thing to do every few years or so.  No corrosion.
-- The rim looked pretty much new inside after all those years when I did the last tire change before selling the thing.  No corrosion.
-- I did discover a nail in the tire one time.  It had been there for a while because the head was almost worn off.  Fortunately it happened when the tire was within a thousand miles or so of needing replacement anyway.  Tire pressure had stayed good the whole time,... so the sealant property of the PJ1 worked fine.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #19 - 02/22/13 at 10:42:15

gone fishing wrote on 02/22/13 at 10:28:13:
But since I read it on the internet it must be only "hearsay".....

for you,.. pretty much

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #20 - 02/22/13 at 11:36:42

I think that makes them appear dumber,Sorta like a wantabe somebody person that never quiet made it.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #21 - 02/22/13 at 12:17:46

WD wrote on 02/22/13 at 10:11:53:

There is no reason to compare the calcium "salt water" product that is used in tractor tires to the tirs sealant or balancing products.  Tractor tires have 50, 100 or more gallons of the stuff in each tire....and it has to be affordable in those quantities....it is just salt water and has absoultey no balancing effect whatever.  I witnessed a friends dad almost lose control of his tractor when he was coasting down a hill and got going too fast and the callcium filled tires started bouncing the rear of the tractor off the pavement and into the air.

I did buy a cheap "Monkey Grip" product and put it into my lawn tractor tires to stop the Locust thorns from flattening my mower tires all the time.  The tires were tubeless and the Monkey Grip sealant dissolved the inside of the tire, and the chords all came loose.  I do use the green "SLIME" now, and I have never had a problem with it.  I have used it in my Off Road motorcycles to prevent flats - but I have never used it in my street bike.  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #22 - 02/22/13 at 12:28:12

gone fishing wrote on 02/22/13 at 11:26:13:
OK dude I realize every one on the Internet now days is an expert so let me qualify myself.

I attended mechanic school gas and diesel in the 60s. I got drafted in the army right after that, did a tour in Vietnam and when I got out I found I could attend college and Uncle Sam would pay for it.

I got a position with General Electric in engineering as a process engineer. That lasted 5 years then went into management were I worked my way up to manufacturing manager.

I didn't want my mechanical skills to go to waste so I had a part time motorcycle repair shop in the 70s. I went on to restore motorcycle then British Roadsters (Triumphs) frame up showing them over the southeast US, winning two nationals.

I also worked in GM dealerships two times between manufacturing jobs. I have been involved with automotives in some form my entire life.

I am retired now and am just trying to relax and enjoy my self on a few forums.

I believe my professional and non professional experiences allow me to do a proper research on any subject and reach an intelligent conclusion.

By the way do you think if I used a much larger font and made every thing bold it would make me appear smarter? Just curious.

Now I have bigger fish to fry,

later Smiley

I don't want to get into a credentials war,... it would make me seem like a bully.

Font, by the way, is not large or small.   Font is type style, such as Arial, or Times New Roman.  What you refer to is type size, or, if you like, character size.

I like the larger characters and Arial font for no other reason than that I like the larger characters and Arial font.  There have been similar comments to yours here over the past few years.  No biggy.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #23 - 02/23/13 at 07:55:19

Some people have added the tractor solution to on road set ups. The buckets of it at the ag supply just say liquid tire weight on them. And it most assuredly destroys wheel rims. Was at the co-op yesterday and a guy came in that had it in a set of alloy 4x4 rims, he couldn't understand why they wouldn't hold air... Tire came off and the rim looked like the sacrificial zinc anode on a salt water outboard.

I wish I only had to deal with the occasional locust thorn... we've got black locust, honey locust (thousands of them), bodock (hedge apple) and bitter orange (really sour thorny citrus shrub from Mongolia and the Siberian steppes). I've had so much practice that I can successfully plug off highway sidewalls...  Angry

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #24 - 02/23/13 at 17:57:30

I used to use a variant of the magic goo (can't remember what brand it was) on my street bikes (tube-type tires) back in the '70's.

Got a flat once that it couldn't handle while tooting around in CA's Central Valley.  Then, I found out the hard way that said goo completely prevented any patches I tried to apply from being effective.

Thus began a long and terrible saga......

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #25 - 02/23/13 at 18:40:20

Digger wrote on 02/23/13 at 17:57:30:
I used to use a variant of the magic goo (can't remember what brand it was) on my street bikes (tube-type tires) back in the '70's.

Got a flat once that it couldn't handle while tooting around in CA's Central Valley.  Then, I found out the hard way that said goo completely prevented any patches I tried to apply from being effective.

Thus began a long and terrible saga......

Yer spose'da wipe off the goo before sticking on the ducktape!

Wink

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 19:38:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Hydrodynamic Tire Balancing

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.