Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Hydrodynamic Tire Balancing (Read 339 times)
scubachef

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Hydrodynamic Tire Balancing
02/21/13 at 16:18:45

I am switching wheels currently and was looking at various balancing options that would allow me to not have those lovely lead weights anywhere.  Does anyone have any personal experience with the Ride On product linked below.  Thanks.

http://www.ride-on.com/how-does-ride-on-tps-help-balance-tires-and-reduce-vib...

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Hydrodynamic Tire Balancing
Reply #1 - 02/21/13 at 17:19:14

Tire shops will curse you...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #2 - 02/21/13 at 19:19:21

scubachef stated: "I am switching wheels currently and was looking at various balancing options that would allow me to not have those lovely lead weights anywhere.  Does anyone have any personal experience with the Ride On product linked below.  Thanks."
http://www.ride-on.com/how-does-ride-on-tps-help-balance-tires-and-reduce-vib...

hexnut stated: "I have no personal experience because this product is not for me. Even if it would work, I doubt it would work in a tube."

I have been using liquid tire balancers for over half a century.  They work well.  The only problem I ever had was when I was making them myself, they started getting thick.  All the commercial versions I have used like PJ1 Balance Plus, work forever.  AND,... you never have to mess with ugly wheel weights.

They have two reeeeeeeeaally good functions:
-- they balance the tire/tube/wheel forever,.. they only time they need replacing is when the tire wears out and needs replacement.
-- they stop slow leaks completely, and most of them seal nail holes, so most unexpected flat tires from relatively small punctures never happen.  The one disadvantage here is that you have to check your tires frequently to make sure you don't have a nail in it where the sealant/balancer is preventing a leak.

"I have no experience with this product because it is not for me."  This sounds like what my current wife says when I suggest she try something she doesn't know anything about.  For example, when I suggested we get her a computer, the conversation went like this:
-- Let's get a computer for you.  Then you can keep in contact with the Granddots, and you can use all those websites the cookings shows and shopping channels use that you watch all the time that you keep asking me about
-- I hate computers.
-- Have you ever used a computer?
-- No
-- How do you know you hate them, then?
-- I just do,.. they are not for me.
-- Is it that you can't type, or cant read or something?
-- No, I can type a lot faster than you and read better too.
-- So then why do you hate computers?
-- I just do.
-- But you've never used one, you have no idea what they are like.
-- I don't like them.  They are not for me.

That went on for days.

Finally her sister told her to get a computer, so she did.  Now she loves it.  She is on her forums all the time, and is an emailing wonder with the Granddots.

The moral,.. don't knock it 'til you've tried it.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
houstonbofh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, TX
Reply #3 - 02/21/13 at 19:24:59

Dyna Beads kinda started this market.  And according to the FAQ, they will work in tubes.  http://www.innovativebalancing.com/news.htm

As for the concept itself, a lot of people swear by it, and use them each time they get new tires.  There are questions about clumping, but I do not know anyone who actually had the problem themselves.  (But they all seem to have this friend of a friend who knows a guy...)

That said, I do not use them.

IP Logged
clearush

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Deer Park,TX
Reply #4 - 02/21/13 at 19:35:44

Dyna beads are fantastic my ride is so much smoother once I changed my rear tire and added dyna beads, mostly lazy on my part and didn't want to bother with the lead weight process.

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #5 - 02/21/13 at 21:00:12

Lots of cruiser guys don't even bother balancing their tires because they aren't ever really going fast enough or going that fast for long enough for it to matter. As long as your wheels are straight and true, your slightly off-balance tire isn't going to matter any. To be annoyed by a little weight on your rim that you're willing to permanently affect your tire balance if you don't follow the instructions PERFECTLY...

Your call dude.

IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #6 - 02/21/13 at 21:15:15

I've used DynaBeads for about 2 years now. I started by trying them in both bikes & liked the results. I put a new set of tires on my wifes' 98 Buick LeSabre & used them & she has made no complaints. Before I was having to rebalance her tires at least once a year. When my Toyota pickup developed a shake, I pulled the weights & put 3 ounces in each tire & it went away.

I recently replaced the front tire on my 950. I used a knee high stocking on the end of my vacuum hose to suck them out, then dumped them in the new tire for reuse. Seems to be working just fine, I can cruise at 75-80 mph with no tire vibes. Cool

Cavi, I don't know who your post was directed at but Dyna-Beads aren't permanent. Shocked

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #7 - 02/21/13 at 22:31:35

RidgeRunner13 wrote on 02/21/13 at 21:15:15:
Cavi, I don't know who your post was directed at but Dyna-Beads aren't permanent. Shocked

I was talking about the liquid TPS mentioned in the first post. I've done no research on the "beads" you mentioned.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #8 - 02/22/13 at 06:46:48

gone fishing wrote on 02/22/13 at 05:58:04:
I have been turning wrenches for going on 55 years. I have researched it and don't care for it. Thats my personal opinion. Sorry if yours is different.

I have been turning wrenches for 56 years.  If you haven't tried a dynamic balancing system, you don't know what it is like,... so not liking it is simply your choice,.. a choice based on emotion, not fact.  I'm not trying to say you are wrong, nor am I trying to convince you to use it,.. I could care less. I just don't want someone who is considering this to think you have any valid reasons for not liking it.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #9 - 02/22/13 at 06:50:25

Cavi Mike wrote on 02/21/13 at 22:31:35:
RidgeRunner13 wrote on 02/21/13 at 21:15:15:

I was talking about the liquid TPS mentioned in the first post. I've done no research on the "beads" you mentioned.

The beads and the gooey stuff work on the same principle.  When an out of balance tire starts to rotate, the stuff inside automatically moves to the lighter side.  

One of the advantages to the gooey stuff is that slow leaks are eliminated forever,... and most small punctures are sealed pretty quickly.

IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #10 - 02/22/13 at 06:59:01

scubachef wrote on 02/21/13 at 16:18:45:
I am switching wheels currently and was looking at various balancing options that would allow me to not have those lovely lead weights anywhere.  Does anyone have any personal experience with the Ride On product linked below.  Thanks.

When I got my S40, it had a slow leak in the rear tire/tube. Couldn't find a puncture, so I put Ride On in it an the leak stopped and has stayed stopped. Didn't remove the existing weights, but did notice a slight lessening of vibration, so maybe the balance was a bit off and this corrected it. I got it mainly to prevent leaks on long trips, which I take a couple of times a year. Seems like a good product, and no problems with "clumping" even when I ride in cold weather.

- David
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #11 - 02/22/13 at 07:07:16

DavidOfMA wrote on 02/22/13 at 06:59:01:
scubachef wrote on 02/21/13 at 16:18:45:

When I got my S40, it had a slow leak in the rear tire/tube. Couldn't find a puncture, so I put Ride On in it an the leak stopped and has stayed stopped. Didn't remove the existing weights, but did notice a slight lessening of vibration, so maybe the balance was a bit off and this corrected it. I got it mainly to prevent leaks on long trips, which I take a couple of times a year. Seems like a good product, and no problems with "clumping" even when I ride in cold weather.

You can take off the weights.  Things will stay nice and smooth.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #12 - 02/22/13 at 07:44:06

gone fishing wrote on 02/22/13 at 07:32:56:
Gyrobob wrote on 02/22/13 at 06:46:48:
gone fishing wrote on 02/22/13 at 05:58:04:
I have been turning wrenches for going on 55 years. I have researched it and don't care for it. Thats my personal opinion. Sorry if yours is different.

I have been turning wrenches for 56 years.  If you haven't tried a dynamic balancing system, you don't know what it is like,... so not liking it is simply your choice,.. a choice based on emotion, not fact.  I'm not trying to say you are wrong, nor am I trying to convince you to use it,.. I could care less. I just don't want someone who is considering this to think you have any valid reasons for not liking it.

So you started when you were 9 huh..

And my choice is NOT based on emotion but facts I undercovered while researching it.

Have a good day,

hex

My Dad had me overhauling lawn mowers and assembling bicycles from spare parts at around that age, yes.  He was big on that kind of thing.  

When I was five, he thought I was going to be a sissy when I wanted (for xmas) a toy washer and dryer set.  I had seen one in a store that looked just like what my Mom had.  He was relieved when the first thing I did with the washer and dryer was get some pliers and a screwdriver to start taking them apart to see the mechanical workings inside.  He made me reassemble them, even though I never wanted to "play" with them once I had them apart.

"And my choice is NOT based on emotion but facts I undercovered while researching it."  I don't know what you mean by undercovered, but if you have no experience with it, then your "facts" are just hearsay.  If you had ever tried it, you would have a different story.

IP Logged
scubachef

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 02/22/13 at 08:32:55

Thanks for the responses everyone.  Good to hear some experience with this specific product as well.  I am going to give it a go!

IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #14 - 02/22/13 at 09:21:32

Serowbot wrote on 02/21/13 at 17:19:14:
Tire shops will curse you...

I don't see why they would. The stuff is in the tube, not the tire, and anyway it's water soluble.

- David
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 19:46:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Hydrodynamic Tire Balancing

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.