Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Beam Style Torque Wrench? (Read 266 times)
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Beam Style Torque Wrench?
02/21/13 at 06:12:03

I have a versy tensioner on the way and guess I should buy a torque wrench. After all these years just going by feel, a touch of arthritis has ruined the calibration in my wrist and elbow. The truth be known, I guess I have just been lucky but facing all those bolts on that big aluminum cover, I no longer trust my luck.

I plan on getting a 0-75 beam style from Sears for less than $20 unless anyone knows of major issues with a beam style vs. the much more expensive dial and click style. Let me know.

thanks and good hunting

« Last Edit: 02/21/13 at 10:13:33 by Blinky-FSO »  

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Beam Style Torgue Wrench?
Reply #1 - 02/21/13 at 06:48:08

A quick scan thru the torque specs in the book gave me the answer. Very few bolts require a real specific torque. Most are broad ranges, like 15 to 22 pounds & such. A beam is fine, IMO & thats what I got & thats where I got mine. Ive been in the places youre going & it worked out just fine.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #2 - 02/21/13 at 07:32:18

Beam torque wrenches are considered clunky, old-school, imprecise, inconvenient, and not for REAL mechanics.

I disagree, somewhat.

One thing they do well is provide proper torque forever.  Yes, they are not as slick as clickers, but clickers are notorious for going out of calibration.

I have an old (40 yrs maybe) Craftsman beam wrench I use most of the time.  I have couple of clickers to use (they are faster) when the torque values aren't critical, and when the beam wrench is too long or hard to read in strange situations you get into with aircraft, etc.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #3 - 02/21/13 at 09:51:58

What's a torque wrench... Roll Eyes  Grin  Wink

Beam is fine. The TW I have access to is some cheap clicker the ancient one got conned into buying last year. Probably from Northern Tool or the discount bin at the farm store. It works, I guess.

I don't use them so...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Beam Style Torque Wrench?
Reply #4 - 02/21/13 at 11:09:44

I like my beam (I've always called it a needle and gauge type) better than the clickers.

The head studs my type of car uses are to be screwed in hand tight and the nut tightened to 30-65-100 ft lbs.
I was at a friend's house working on another friend's car doing a HG with his clicker type. New gasket, brand new ARP head studs.
We set it for 30, did them all. 65, did them all. 100 did them all. On the last one I didn't like the feel at all. I let someone else try it and they said it was fine keep going to 100. I asked the owner of the car and he said if this guy say's it's good go for it.
I said "What do I care? It's not my car".
Twist and snap.
I don't know what the torque wrench was actually set to. Maybe it was a bad stud? It's not the first horror story I've heard about clickers getting stuck or providing false feed back that gets progressively worse over time as the spring holding the locking collar gets weaker.

I think the beam types offer a better feel is the short of it. The downside, as noted above, is you need about a 2 foot radius over whatever it is you're tightening to use these beam types.

--Steve

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #5 - 02/21/13 at 13:51:31

I always felt the beam ones were better but all I ever use is a clicker because they're less bulky and there's nothing to bend when stuff falls on it. And like JOG said, TQ ratings are wide open anyways.

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #6 - 02/21/13 at 14:37:37

I always liked my beam style... I knew when to slow down pulling and just slowly crept up on the spec. With the clicker I have.. you just yank until it clicks...you cant know your getting close...'cept of course experience.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #7 - 02/21/13 at 15:08:45

Hate clickers, don't own any at all.   Biggest problem with clickers in a manufacturing plant is somebody "missing the click" and busting an assembly, then there was the clicker that went out of calibration on the low end and made us rework a half day's production for a loose clutch assembly.  

Clickers suck.

Beams are better.   Just don't get one rated much bigger than you actually need.

Beams loose accuracy if you are way way low or way way high in their total range.

Ideally, you should be working at about mid range in a beam unit for it to have longest life and best accuracy.    This generally means you have to own 2 beam units, one very small (inch pound range) and one for up to 50 foot pounds max.   The 150 foot pound car units are too too big for motorcycle use.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #8 - 02/21/13 at 18:35:43

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 02/21/13 at 15:08:45:
......Ideally, you should be working at about mid range in a beam unit for it to have longest life and best accuracy.    This generally means you have to own 2 beam units, one very small (inch pound range) and one for up to 50 foot pounds max.   The 150 foot pound car units are too too big for motorcycle use.

I like beam-type torque wrenches.  And, I'm a big believer in keeping them in the middle of their torque ranges (in their "sweet spots").  As a result, I own four: a 0-50 in-lb one, a 0-200 in-lb one, a 0-600 in-lb one, and a 0-150 ft-lb one.  The big one is occasionally needed, some examples being the lug nuts on the rear wheel of my GL1800 and the rotor bolts on my KLR650s.

One of the biggest drawbacks of a beam-type torque wrench is that you have a hard time seeing the scale sometimes.  Here is what I do to deal with that problem:

I place a small piece of masking tape at the target reading on the scale.  It is now a lot easier for me to see when the desired torque has been reached.

IHTH someone!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #9 - 02/21/13 at 20:52:03

Working on aircraft, I get to use a LOT of torque wrenches.  Per the Army, a clicker is slightly less accurate in the top and bottom 10%, and have to be re-calibrated every 6 months.  I like their ease of use, but they are a lot touchier than beams.

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
mustang
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 02/21/13 at 21:50:49

beam fine for what you are doing.
three sizes one quarter inch three eights and one half drive.

IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Reply #11 - 02/22/13 at 06:23:23

My thanks and appreciation to all for your input. I will get to Sears this evening and pick up one.

Good hunting

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
rat907
YaBB Newbies

Have bike will
travel

Las Vegas, NV
Reply #12 - 02/22/13 at 06:35:17

Gyrobob wrote on 02/21/13 at 07:32:18:
Beam torque wrenches are considered clunky, old-school, imprecise, inconvenient, and not for REAL mechanics.

I disagree, somewhat.

One thing they do well is provide proper torque forever.  Yes, they are not as slick as clickers, but clickers are notorious for going out of calibration.

I have an old (40 yrs maybe) Craftsman beam wrench I use most of the time.  I have couple of clickers to use (they are faster) when the torque values aren't critical, and when the beam wrench is too long or hard to read in strange situations you get into with aircraft, etc.

agreed, I've had a no-name beam torque wrench since i got out of the military. I had it checked for calibration and though it was under torquing, it never over tightened.

if the indicator beam (pointer) ever lost zero, a simple bending of the bean back to zero put it right back in service. i have known many mechanics that go through clickers every year (oe less) due to calibration or breakage of the mechanism.

my beam is going strong for almost 20 years now after working on personal and friends autos and week end illegal street racing.

A point to remember when using torque wrenches. if you use an extention or size adapter3/8 to 1/2 inch or vice versa other than a socket or wrench type end... it changes the value of the reading by an unspecified amount less than what you are reading.

Denny

2005 Suzuki S40 Boulevard, Lancers VM 36 Carb Kit & Thrush Glass Pack... Zoom Zoom!
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #13 - 02/22/13 at 06:41:59

RAT907 said, "A point to remember when using torque wrenches.if you use an extention or size adapter3/8 to 1/2 inch or vice versa... it changes the value of the reading by an unspecified amount less than what you are reading. "

I can't see how this would happen.  

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
rat907
YaBB Newbies

Have bike will
travel

Las Vegas, NV
Reply #14 - 02/22/13 at 06:44:26

the slop in relationship to the fit which compounds when using an extension and/or adaptor... only a torque wrench calibration instument will telll you the actual values

Denny

2005 Suzuki S40 Boulevard, Lancers VM 36 Carb Kit & Thrush Glass Pack... Zoom Zoom!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 19:32:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Beam Style Torque Wrench?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.