Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Beam Style Torque Wrench? (Read 266 times)
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Re: Beam Style Torque Wrench?
Reply #15 - 02/22/13 at 06:57:09

rat907 wrote on 02/22/13 at 06:44:26:
the slop in relationship to the fit which compounds when using an extension and/or adaptor... only a torque wrench calibration instument will telll you the actual values

I will accept that if the rotational axis of the beam wrench is not aligned with the center of the object being torqued, the values might vary some,.. but only because there might be some additional friction in the joints as they act somewhat like a crude u-joint.  But,... torque is torque.  

If what you are implying were true, then if you got ten extensions, snapped them all together, the torque at one end would be way different that at the other.  That would not happen.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #16 - 02/22/13 at 07:52:08

gone fishing wrote on 02/22/13 at 07:38:22:
If you use an extension on the wrench handle it will change the value. If you use an extension in the socket it will not.

Yes, an extension on the socket will not change anything significantly. The only way doing something to the handle would affect anything would be if you actually torqued handle.  That is why the actual plastic handle on a beam wrench pivots.  Proper procedure is to make sure when applying force to the wrench handle, the plastic handle on the beam is somewhere in the middle of its pivot travel, to make sure the force being applied is applied at exactly the same place on the beam, and the there is no torque being applied to the beam.

IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #17 - 02/22/13 at 19:48:12

When I was a mechanic in the Army, we had to use crow's feet on the torque wrench, and there was a formula (which I no longer remember) to correct torque values.  As far as which is more accurate, a properly maintained and calibrated clicker is.  As far as which is better for a shade tree mechanic, definitely the beam. Wink

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #18 - 02/22/13 at 22:30:22

I like a clicker because quite often you are not in a position to read a beam accurately.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
mustang
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 02/22/13 at 23:43:03

cant be much....

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #20 - 02/23/13 at 07:57:30

arteacher wrote on 02/22/13 at 22:30:22:
I like a clicker because quite often you are not in a position to read a beam accurately.

That is a huge advantage for the clicker.  I just worry about the clickers going out of calibration.  

When I was running a flight school years ago, we had a minor maintenance capability that, of course, used torque wrenches often.  
-- That's where I learned the hard way that the torque put on a fastener can sometimes be off 10 - 20% with a clicker. 
-- We finally hooked up with a guy at another airport that would calibrate and adjust them for us periodically in exchange for flying lessons.  
-- We had to toss a few clickers because they could not be adjusted to acceptable accuracy.  
-- The beam units last forever.

The beam units, though, are more inconvenient and harder to see in cramped situations.  There were times where one guy would be doing the torquing and another guy would read the value.  We did use Digger's trick, by the way, of putting a piece of tape on the scale of the beam wrench to make it a LOT easier to read. Those astronauts have a pretty good handle on advanced technology, eh?

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #21 - 02/23/13 at 08:07:23

You can calibrate a torque wrench pretty easily if you just want to make sure it is in the ballpark.  The following is not real precise.  There are shops that do this for real and will charge maybe $50 to calibrate and adjust a torque wrench.  Just put the drive side in a vise (with some soft metal sheet to keep from putting vise marks on your wrench) and make sure the handle is level.  Tie a cord or safety wire 12" (that's one foot, bill) from the center of the drive.
  -- for a clicker, set it on a weight in the midrange of the scale,.. say 40 pounds.
  -- attach 40 pounds of something (I use lead ingots stored for bullet casting) to the safety wire and see if it clicks. Barbell weights are handy for this if you are confident in the weight being accurate.  Go up or down a pound or two or three to see where the actual click point is.
  -- for a beam wrench it is easier.  Just attach the safety wire at the 12" point, and attach a known weight to the wire. If the scale reads the weight properly, you're golden.  If not, you'll have to start carrying a correction every time you use that wrench.

A lot of our fasteners use inch-pounds.  So, if you want to test your smaller wrench graduated in inch-pounds, find two one-gallon plastic milk jugs (they weigh only a couple ounces each), fill them with exactly one gallon of water each, tie them together and you'll have a weight that is really close to 17 pounds.  Put the drive end of the wrench in the vise, set it on 102 inch pounds, and tie the two jugs on the wrench at a point 6" from the center of the piece clamped in the vise.  If it just clicks,.. marvy.  

IP Logged
Super Thumper

2001 LS650 With 97mm
Big Bore Kit, Stage
III Cam.

Windsor, Vermont
Reply #22 - 02/23/13 at 08:49:29

A "Click Type" torque wrench is more accurate than the beam type. I bought one of these from Harbor Freight and it works great. they are currently on sale for only $19.99 ! They are also available in 1/4" , 3/8" & 3/4" drive sizes.

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=torque+wrench

Live To Ride...Ride To Live
WWW   IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #23 - 02/23/13 at 10:25:16

Super Thumper wrote on 02/23/13 at 08:49:29:
A "Click Type" torque wrench is more accurate than the beam type. ...

I doubt it.  Clickers wear out.  The only thing that can happen to a beam torque wrench is to damage it.

If you took your cheapo clickers to a shop that calibrates these things, you might be unpleasantly surprised.

Have you tested them at all to see when they actually do click?

I like clickers because of the convenience, but if I am using one on a project where torque is really important (cylinder heads, for example) I always verify they are at least in the ball park by using one of the tests I mentioned above.  I don't have those concerns with a beam wrench.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 19:40:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Beam Style Torque Wrench?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.