Send Topic Print
Ryca high exhaust pipe (Read 252 times)
John in Kalifornia

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ryca high exhaust pipe
02/19/13 at 19:25:30

Hi Again,

Here's what the Ryca high exhaust pipe looks like. Cost was $300, well worth it. The chrome work is perfect and the bends are just right. I have it mocked up with Ty-raps for now. Haven't decided on the muffler yet.

This pipe is 1 3/4 inches in diameter. I think that would cause some loss of low-end power, as there would be NO backpressure. Maybe some sort of anti-reversion thingy needs to be installed? I would like to keep this pipe nice looking but suppose it will turn colors as all non double wall exhausts do. Oh well, I can always paint it black.

What do you think I should do with the jetting?  I won’t be using the stock intake filter, either.

John in Kalifornia

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Ryca high exhaust pipe
Reply #1 - 02/20/13 at 06:51:49

HEY JOHN!

Thanks for posting these up! The pipe looks great. And yeah; $300 is pretty good. When I emailed RYCA last Fall about these, they weren't available yet, but he had estimated around $500..

Your bike is looking great so far! I wish I was making some progress too...

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 02/20/13 at 07:27:38

As far as getting enough backpressure goes, that'll depend a lot on what you end up with for a muffler. the thing I like about the Supertrapps is that you can adjust that; fewer plates increases backpressure and that should boost the mid-range on the bike. That Emgo Muff is gonna be pretty wide open, I imagine, but you could also add a slide-in type baffle into the pipe just before the muffler; adding backpressure while keeping the look of the emgo... just a thought!

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #3 - 02/20/13 at 09:02:16

You must not like your left leg very much. Wink

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 02/20/13 at 09:22:37

arteacher wrote on 02/20/13 at 09:02:16:
You must not like your left leg very much. Wink

I believe there is going to have to be some form of heat sheild added.  I have had 3 major burns from chrome exhaust pipes....and they are really painful and take a long time to heal.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 02/20/13 at 09:55:38

A blued pipe is pretty to me, but then, I think tarnished silver is pretty. Not tarnished, never touched, mind you, but silverware that is handled daily. Its like a silver/blue color,

Anyway, blued pipes just look good, depending on the pattern & shades & hues & maybe even other tones & highlites..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
John in Kalifornia

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 02/20/13 at 10:12:31

I bought the heat shield from Ryca also. Just haven't put it on for the mock up.

John

PS I learned not to wear shorts when riding my trail bike with the high exhaust!

IP Logged
wombat

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 02/20/13 at 11:26:14

It looks like you have the battery where the starter should go. How will you start the bike.

John in Kalifornia wrote on 02/19/13 at 19:25:30:
Hi Again,

Here's what the Ryca high exhaust pipe looks like. Cost was $300, well worth it. The chrome work is perfect and the bends are just right. I have it mocked up with Ty-raps for now. Haven't decided on the muffler yet.

This pipe is 1 3/4 inches in diameter. I think that would cause some loss of low-end power, as there would be NO backpressure. Maybe some sort of anti-reversion thingy needs to be installed? I would like to keep this pipe nice looking but suppose it will turn colors as all non double wall exhausts do. Oh well, I can always paint it black.

What do you think I should do with the jetting?  I won’t be using the stock intake filter, either.

John in Kalifornia

http://p1.bikepics.com/2013%5C02%5C19%5Cbikepics-2518680-800.jpg

http://p1.bikepics.com/2013%5C02%5C19%5Cbikepics-2518681-800.jpg

IP Logged
wombat

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 02/20/13 at 11:28:07

What tank is that.
John in Kalifornia wrote on 02/19/13 at 19:25:30:
Hi Again,

John in Kalifornia

http://p1.bikepics.com/2013%5C02%5C19%5Cbikepics-2518680-800.jpg

http://p1.bikepics.com/2013%5C02%5C19%5Cbikepics-2518681-800.jpg

IP Logged
DieselBob

Thumper - One Who
Thumps

Goshen, IN
Reply #9 - 02/20/13 at 13:41:55

Quote:
This pipe is 1 3/4 inches in diameter. I think that would cause some loss of low-end power, as there would be NO backpressure. Maybe some sort of anti-reversion thingy needs to be installed?

Just go to Google Images and type in "lollipop exhaust" for examples of a tunable backpressure option. A single hole on the backside where no one can see it and then change the size of the washer until you're getting the correct backpressure. And for the Savage, isn't it about 32-34" from the exhaust port where you want the resistance to occur?

IP Logged
John in Kalifornia

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 02/21/13 at 13:36:49

Answers:

Tank is from an early Suzuki GS250 I think. Extensive mods to make if sit lower on frame-documented on another thread.

Battery location not figured out yet.

I looked up lollipop exhaust on the 'Net and it was very informative. I did some figgerin' and a 1/4-20 shoulder eyebolt from McMaster Carr would work as sorta home made Snuff-or-Not. Don't know if I want to drill a hole in the nice pipe, tho.

John

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 02/21/13 at 14:18:45

I picked up one of these to play with for mine; haven't used it yet, but it's darned solid, and at $13 worth every penny and more!
If you search their site for "1.75 in. glasspack" there are lots of other options...

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/jex-a3009b

IP Logged
Jiggyfly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 02/23/13 at 03:23:49

Exhaust looks nice.
Is it chromed steel, I'm guessing.
Looked at the Ryca site....have to say the $300 price tag warrants stainless steel!

IP Logged
John in Kalifornia

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 02/23/13 at 13:46:49

I did some checking with McMaster Carr catalog and crunched some numbers. A ¼-inch eyebolt used for a restrictor will give about a 35 percent reduction in area when turned perpendicular to the pipe. This makes it equivalent to a 1 5/16-diameter pipe.

Welding a washer on to the eyebolt would make for even more of a restriction. I’m tempted to make my own version of a Snuff or Not with a spring and knurled knob. Hate to drill a hole in that nice pipe though.

BTW, I have a t-bolt clamp for the pipe mounting. What can I put between the pipe and the clamp so that the clamp won’t scratch the pipe? Some type of pipe wrap, obviously, but don’t need 10 feet.

John in Kalifornia

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 19:40:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Ryca high exhaust pipe

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.