Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Fixed all but still noisy... (Read 213 times)
robrob
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fixed all but still noisy...
02/17/13 at 10:37:55

I got my girl a 1987 Savage which had a ticking/knocking sound from close to the exhaust where smoke also appeared  ...       I though it would be nothing more then fixing the cam chain tensioner, and resealing the plug that's known leaking oil and causing smoke...   Well I did a complete top end rebuild, took my time so I wouldn't miss anything.  New gaskets, moded cam chain tensioner, valve adjustment and properly sealed all that needed to be sealed. When I finally started the bike up, there was the ticking/knocking and smoking...    Sad      Anyone have this happen to them? Any help would be rally appreciated.   Thanks!!!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Fixe all but still noisy...
Reply #1 - 02/17/13 at 10:53:29

There can be dozens of places that a tick or knock can be generated.
Eliminate the external 1st.
headlight, speedo, mirrors.... everything that's bolted on.
and check for rocks in the hub caps syndrone.

Internal to the engine, can be worn cam journals, worn rockers, excessive piston skirt clearance...

And I wouldn't worry to much about smoking on the initial start up, any work will leave something somewhere.  Even washing it will.  If it don't go away or there's obvious leakage then it's time.

WWW   IP Logged
robrob
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Fixed all but still noisy...
Reply #2 - 02/17/13 at 11:19:25

I haven't ridden the bike yet.  Just sat there on idle.  The knock is definitely internal.  I have a Suzuki C50, and have had many other bikes in the past but never a Savage or single cylinder for that matter.  It would be nice if that's actually the way it normally sounds, but I don't think it is.  My concern is that the same symptoms are present as much now as they were before the rebuild.  Same knock, same smoke.  I take it the valve clearance is the same on the Savage as it is on the S40?  .003 to .005...?

« Last Edit: 02/18/13 at 18:09:22 by robrob »  
  IP Logged
robrob
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Noise...
Reply #3 - 02/19/13 at 19:19:46

So no one out there as had a ticking noise (as if the cam chain tensioner was loose) but knowing it's not the tensioner?   I rebuilt the engine, new tensioner, new gaskets, adjusted valves... all sealed and double, triple checked and still a ticking noise...     Any help?     Thanks

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 02/20/13 at 05:49:29

There are so many things that it could be.....it is hard to make a guess without more information or actually seeing/hearing the bike in person.

When you say it smokes.......from where?

Does the ticking get less/more/same when warm?

Does the ticking change with engine speed, acceleration, deceleration?

Where does the ticking sound like it is located?

I had a ticking that turned into a knocking.....turned out the left side crank bearing was going bad and the flywheel nut was loose.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
robrob
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 02/21/13 at 19:23:47

it smokes from the top of the engine, near the exhaust.
The ticking stays the same when it's warm.  
The ticking speeds up with acceleration.
The ticking sounds like its located up top, if I put a little tension with my finger on the cable of the decompressor I can feel the knock.
It does not at all feel like it's coming from the anywhere else then the top near the valves.    
Any Idea?
Thanks so much by the way.

IP Logged
houstonbofh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, TX
Reply #6 - 02/21/13 at 20:13:45

You know, if you say where you are, you might have a neighbor close by...

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 02/21/13 at 20:38:11

Putting your finger on the decomp cable will give you a sensory input from the exhaust valve...  "feeling it",.. is normal...  (you just put your finger on the valve,... that only tells you, that the bike is running)...

Ticking,.. is an ambiguous symptom...

This is a big, air-cooled, thumper...  they do tick...
You can't compare them to a water- cooled, multi-cylinder...
Air-cooled engines have no water jacket to insulate noise,.. and, valves have looser tolerances to account for more heat expansion...
... and one big cylinder, has bigger valves than a multi-cylinder bike of the same size...

Bigger valves,... less sound insulation,.. looser tolerances for more heat expansion...
= noise...

This could be something bad...  or not... Huh...
Take these factors into account,... and you decide...
If you can find someone experienced with big thumpy's to give a listen,.. that could be comforting..

I'm not trying to blow you off... Honest...
..but, there are some worriers here...

... ( I have a friend,.. every time I'm in his car,... he says... "Can ya' hear that?"... "can ya' feel that vibration?"...
... and I say...
"Yeah,.. that means the engine's running"....)...

We need to find out, if  you're hearing a problem,...
... or a "Thumper"...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
robrob
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 02/21/13 at 23:14:34

I totally get what you're saying.  Never having owned a "thumper", I wonder if I'm just not used to their sound...    I will take her for a ride tomorrow as I just got a new battery, and I'll see how she behaves...

IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Reply #9 - 02/22/13 at 06:19:49

it smokes from the top of the engine, near the exhaust.

robrob,
Unless you are burning off some lubricant on exterior surfaces, the smoke would bother me. An exhaust or compression leak or just lazy smoke? This might be a tough one since you rebuilt a lot of components. Just guessing but I would identify the source of the smoke and see if it leads you anywhere.

The first thing I did after buying an S40 was to buy ear plugs. The thing sounds like a bucket of bolts kicked down a metal staircase.

Good hunting

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Reply #10 - 02/22/13 at 07:49:22

"The first thing I did after buying an S40 was to buy ear plugs. The thing sounds like a bucket of bolts kicked down a metal staircase."

Blinky, apparently you haven't ridden a non-desmo Ducati single.  Now THAT is a noisy engine.  CLACK, CLACK, CLACK.  Savages are nothing by comparison.

I assume during the top end work everything was cleaned up well. When I did my head plug, there was leaked oil all over internal cavities.  Hopefully just residual burnoff.

IP Logged
robrob
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 02/22/13 at 08:03:43

yup, everything cleaned up and meticulously reassembled.   Checked and rechecked...   Now, did I measure parts such as the cam shaft? no, as I don't have the tools...

IP Logged
robrob
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 02/25/13 at 17:26:03

Well I finally got to take it for a spin.  Ahhh that torque!!!   hahaha    But the smoking's gone.   She sure has gusto!!!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 19:36:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Fixed all but still noisy...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.