Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
HP begins a fling with Google (Read 186 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
HP begins a fling with Google
02/16/13 at 20:40:29

HP has totally stubbed their own toe in the mobile arena with their Palm OS stuff (now totally scrapped) and HP has steeply declining PC sales as Win8 hasn't excited anybody to go get a new PC and HP's traditional bread & butter printer business is pretty much flat lined right now, too.  

HP and AMD are companies searching for a future.

Watch the two February Tech Shows closely for emerging moves by HP to get closer to Google's Android and Chrome OS products with brand new hardware offerings.   Watch out for HP's first ARM based Android hardware products to come traipsing out of the closet, with one aimed up high price and one aimed at the middle of the pack.

Watch for new moves by Google to become their own ARM based hardware brand.  (Google became the #1 android tablet seller almost by accident when their Nexus 7 and Nexus 10 busted all sales records and put Amazon and Barnes and Noble tablets into the dust).   Asus as a company may well be purchased outright by the cash rich Google or else Asus may have their total production capacity contracted out by Google.   Look for Android and Chrome to begin to move into the same orbits and to begin sharing some features.

Look for small Google brick and mortar "service stores" to pop up in some very large metropolitan areas.   Watch out for the PC in the glasses thing (Google Glass) to become real this quarter.  See Google trying to do the Apple "WOW" thing this year since APPLE hasn't done much with it lately since Steve Jobs died.   Expect to see fully Linaro supported Tegra 4 chipsets in the new Google "WOW" products.

Remember always (and never forget) that APPLE still outsells everybody by a factor of two, and all the folks who bough IPad and IPad2 are about at the end of their battery life in those original tablets and these folks will be in the market for a brand new tablet soon (and they will most likely buy APPLE IPads again as they had nothing but good experiences out of their first ones).

Intel and MicroSoft have already played their new cards for this year and are regrouping frantically as they see not so much in sales going on right now in response to their efforts.  Expect new news about a totally new Windows 9 and "a brand new crop of Intel processors" to come out by 2nd quarter of this year promised (and fail to actually ship) by years end.

Wink

Meanwhile, in Europe the quite large French brand Arcos has taken to silk screening their name on some Chinese built Allwinner quad core A7 tablets and calling them "Arcos Platinum tablets" since the new Chinese units just plain kick the ass of all of the existing Arcos products .....

===============

Ballmer does the Microsoft victory clench as initial quantities of Surface Pro sell out on first day.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2013/02/10/links-10-feb-microsofts-su...

Dude, if you only shipped 15,000 tablets out to all of your various distributors across the entire USA as your initial stocking shipment -- does shipping them all out to your distributor's stores at 1-2 each really constitute "selling them out on the very first day?"   Does having just one out to go on display at Best Buy constitute "selling out Best Buy"?   Does applying the sales figures for the $699 Asus Surface Pro product and your own "sales" against your stock quantity shipped actually mean you "sold out" anything?

Yeah, I think Ballmer has sold out all right -- in the political sense of the word.

Really now, MicroSoft invents a new definition of "product sell out" to go along with Intel's new definition of chip power draw -- amazing what a little spin doctoring can do for you when times aren't so good, ain't it?

« Last Edit: 02/17/13 at 14:37:55 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: HP begins a fling with Google
Reply #1 - 02/19/13 at 08:33:58

WOW begins now .....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h384z7Ph0gU   (click on it)

I knew it was coming sometime this year.   I told you it was coming.  But by golly it is right here right now on hardware a lot of people already own and WOW -- it works "right now" and WOW it's free.

I told you that guy Shuttleworth was the new Steve Jobs -- he is innovating big time and actually changing the computing world by what he has really actually already DONE.

Good news, last year's Tegra 3 SOC and last year's Nexus 7 tablet and Nexus 4 phone seem to be plenty fast enough to do all these tricks.

WOW -- now I am looking for a docking station for my perhaps soon to be new Nexus 7 that I can likely buy refurbed for about $140 from GameStop after the new generation of tablets come out later on this year.

Then I can sling it on my handlebars with a Tablet Gripper and use it as a GPS, compute from my pocket as needed all day and then plug it into the charging base station at night to light up my 20" monitor mouse and keyboard for my sit down posting, etc.

The future, she comes .....

The bar just got a lot higher for them $1,000 Microsoft tablets, heck mebbe they will learn how to talk and take voice commands soon.

And yes, Ballmer, scream and froth all you want to about it .... yes, right at the very end of his video Shutteworth showed the full version of Microsoft Excel running off his operating system off a $199 Nexus 7 tablet (he did it using Wine code).   Sorta takes the wind out of your sails, don't it?

This is something Windows 8 Surface RT tablet cannot do at all at $699 and it actually takes your $1,000 Windows 8 Surface Pro tablet to do, period.

BTW Ballmer, the Nexus 7 is still selling at an ongoing rate of one million tablets per month .... for $199.  Gonna be lots & lots of them out there, aren't there?

Where is my durn docking station .....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 02/19/13 at 09:05:46

A bike needs a 'puter,... like a 'puter needs a sandwhich...

I ride to escape that stuff... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 02/19/13 at 09:11:50

Serowbot wrote on 02/19/13 at 09:05:46:
A bike needs a 'puter,... like a 'puter needs a sandwhich...

I ride to escape that stuff... Huh...

sandwhich nitemares?

made from killer tomatos?

and mystery meat?

and questionable bread?

Huh

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 02/19/13 at 09:55:13

Them too... Huh...

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #5 - 02/19/13 at 10:11:34

Heck, even if MOST of what the video shows is right and real, then it is still Wow.

I think Shuttleworth and Ubuntu mostly 100% deliver on what they say, and they don't announce anything unless it is at software release time.

The hardware piece that is not there yet is the docking station to hook the Nexus 7 up to the monitor/keyboard/mouse.   Hardware makers need to make that up to the published specifications for the Nexus 7 jacks and have the connection specs called out by Ubuntu.   They can do it, Shuttleworth's myrad busy little boys will help them figure it out.

We are so used to vaporware out of MS and Intel, with them saying things that don't ever happen on time and aren't exactly what is stated that when we finally get to it we get really leary whenever we see major innovation stuff like this.

But remember, release is what he was talking about.

==============

Let's test my theory.   If it is real and this is release I should find Youtube video of somebody in the Ubuntu crowd doing it within the next week.

Even if it is only a development release, then still somebody should have it running on a Nexus 4 phone or a Nexus 7 tablet within 7 days from today.

==============

http://developer.ubuntu.com/ to go get the software now if you are a registered developer.  Formal public release date for the Nexus 7 tablet package is Feb 21 which is two days away from now, and this also happens to be at a big European woopie doo World Mobil Congress where all the Ubuntu folks will be doing free installs on real peoples Nexus 7 tablets for those who want to be "early adopters".

Beta test has apparently been going on since before the last Ubuntu Programming Conference in Luxembourg two months ago, the final face to face meeting where the last of the bugs got handed out to the various group programmers with the plan being to push the whole thing out into reality at the World Mobil Conference in February.

YouTube is already lousy with videos of people running the earlier Beta software, so I could grab a few of those, but that ain't exactly fair as I want the finished easy-do version where you just plug your Nexus 7 into the data cable and go to the START button on the Ubuntu web page where Ubuntu downloads the files to your PC, initializes on the PC, and then rapes scrapes installs and configures everything on the tablet for you automatically.

There are like 15+ million Nexus 7's and 10's out there now.   Chrome OS running on a Tegra 3 laptop has proven that the Tegra 3 SOC has enough guts to act like a Linux PC.  

Weeeeee .....   de fun, she begins.

Look for Google to come out soon with some pretty neat WOW for the Nexus 7 and 10 to make sure you don't replace their software with Ubuntu .....

« Last Edit: 02/19/13 at 18:30:20 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #6 - 02/19/13 at 21:00:10

Re:  Ubuntu on Nexus 7

the how to do it page is up now

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Nexus7/Installation

This will be replaced with a simplified version soon (day after tomorrow ???)

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #7 - 02/20/13 at 08:55:12

Pre-orders are up for Google Glasses, the wearable do everything by verbal instructions microputer in the frames.

(yeah, you thought I was shitting you, right?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=v1uyQZNg2vE       (click on it for what it looks like to wear the $1,500 glasses)

Obviously, this one isn't ready for prime time for old biker farts like us, but the yuppie crowd might like it.

Steve Jobless Apple sure is missing out on the WOW factor now-a-days so Google is picking up all their WOW slack for them.    

You just tell it verbally what you want and it does it and shows it to your eyeball directly.

Blade Runner was the Sci-fy show that had a guy wearing these, I think.
Jordy and his visor on Star Trek was the next one, I think.   Anyhow, it's here.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 02/20/13 at 09:45:50

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 02/20/13 at 08:55:12:
Jordy and his visor on Star Trek was the next one, I think.   Anyhow, it's here.

Jordy's visor replaced his eyes fed the data direct into his brain.  blind otherwise.
Cool, but gave him headaches.  Allowed him to see things other than light.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #9 - 02/20/13 at 13:47:00

That would be better than a GoPro...  I'll buy one as soon as they get down to $99...
'Prolly next year... Grin...

IP Logged
houstonbofh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, TX
Reply #10 - 02/20/13 at 16:28:05

On the Ubuntu Tablet, he said Microsoft Apps were running via thin client.  WINE does not work on Arm yet.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #11 - 02/20/13 at 20:01:26

I found this interesting as it is Shuttleworth like 3-4 months ago talking to his programmer troops as they swung into finishing this Nexus 7 Tablet thing that they just now completed.   He is doing other new stuff with servers, with clouds, with Hewlet Packard and lo and behold Microsoft wants to be Ubuntu "data transfer compatible" all of a sudden.

HP has never been an enemy of open source.  Google IS open source.  So for Microsoft to be even talking about data transfer compatibility is a big step forward for Microsoft as in the past it was MS's way or u go away ....

Google and Ubuntu are rapidly changing a lot of folks precepts of what it takes to "be a computer".   As the man says in the video, this past years cell phones have enough grunt to be a Linux PC.   The Tegra 3 in the Nexus 7 has plenty of power and memory to run PC level Linux.

What I am expecting based on his words and overall approach to the phone/tablet thing is that someone is going to lay out a docking station that hits the phone (or Nexus 7 tablet) correctly on its input side, both for data transfer port and power port.   The docking station will have built in USB 3 or USB 2 jacks for standard things like keyboards, monitors, mice, USB hard drives, etc.

Once Ubuntu has raped scraped and loaded on the device, you can treat the back side of your loading dock like the back of your current PC and jack up whatever you want.

When you unplug the phone/tablet from the dock, it acts like a Ubuntu phone or tablet.

When you dock it, you see a Ubuntu PC on your big screen monitor.

So, you buy one phone or one tablet.  You buy one mating docking station.  You are done until the phone busts or becomes obsolete.

=======================
Smiley
In one fell swoop, no more Microsoft and no more Intel.
Smiley
=======================

Now, Shuttleworth isn't an American and quite frankly this effort is really based out of Europe, Indonesia, India, Africa and the Russian states.   Most of his programmers are French, English, Swedish, etc.  

He isn't really concerned about Microsoft's and Intel's bottom line.   Google, Dell, HP and Lenovo he cares about as they are existing partners elsewhere in the world.    

Ubuntu is popular preloaded on laptops being sold in India, China, Indonesia and Africa.   Many cities and banks and such use his software system-wide from the server down to the laptop as it is reliable and quite secure.    (the man invented Veritas to make his first fortune after all).

So, if you see Shuttleworth as someone quite bright that is rolling things over a bit because he thinks they will work better that way, you got him pegged pretty well.

He's sorta Googlish, huh?

« Last Edit: 02/21/13 at 14:46:36 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
mustang
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 02/20/13 at 21:37:33

dont need any of it to ride my little ls650
if i get lost good, longer ride....

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #13 - 02/21/13 at 14:18:06

verslagen1 wrote on 02/20/13 at 09:45:50:
Jordy's visor replaced his eyes fed the data direct into his brain.  blind otherwise.
Cool, but gave him headaches.  Allowed him to see things other than light.

Beat me to it.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #14 - 02/21/13 at 14:40:50

Weeeeee ..... release day !!!

And the answer is ..... you might want to wait a bit.    The Ubuntu fanboys say " The camera isn't good enough on the Nexus 7 and the mic/speaker set isn't good enough for clearly interpreting speech  commands and the quad core processors out next month will be so better at multi-tasking, etc. etc."

That's odd, the mic and speakers seem to work OK for Android, don't they?

Well, it DOES everything that was promised, but they wanted egg in their beer by golly.   They want it to work flawlessly.   Can't blame them, fanboys always want egg in their beer.

Me, I always listen when folks say wait a bit.  There isn't a docking station yet and there are apparently some buggies left to fix.   Waiting is EASY for me to do.

Ubuntu will partner with someone to build the exact phone/tablet they need with a hopped up processor/speaker/mic.  Then maybe it will all work flawlessly.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 16:37:24

General CategoryThe Cafe › HP begins a fling with Google

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.