Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Russian meteor explosion... (Read 221 times)
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Re: Russian meteor explosion...
Reply #15 - 02/18/13 at 05:54:52

All this arguing whether it's called a thing, or a thingy or a thingoid still doesn't answer my quesiton :

With all the hi-tech the russians are supposed to have (so states Pres.Putin)
why couldn't / didn't they see it in time ?

It makes you think they should have seen it in time, and that doesn't read nicely in my science scrapbook...

Huh

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
wambr
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Russia, Samara
Reply #16 - 02/18/13 at 06:40:18

thank you guys, what you experience for us! but it's a bit too much... Yes in Chelyabinsk suffered approximately 1,500 people (on the official data) but they have suffered only from the fragments of shattered windows . the Russians are very curious, we are very interested to see how the flies meteorite . meteorite fell into the lake Chebarkul and a piece of a meteorite yet did not find any. I have a sister lives very close and she told me that she was a powerful explosion , when the meteorite fell..

Yeah, it's not bigtwin, but it is the best half of it
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #17 - 02/18/13 at 08:20:45

mpescatori wrote on 02/18/13 at 05:54:52:
All this arguing whether it's called a thing, or a thingy or a thingoid still doesn't answer my quesiton :

With all the hi-tech the russians are supposed to have (so states Pres.Putin)
why couldn't / didn't they see it in time ?

It makes you think they should have seen it in time, and that doesn't read nicely in my science scrapbook...

Huh

Here you M ...

http://russianforces.org/did_russian_early-warning_syst.html

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #18 - 02/18/13 at 08:28:14

It was my understanding that this thing was the size of a beachball. The OTHER meteor that is to pass within 17,000 is the larger one.

According to what I saw.. no one is looking at the smaller stuff as there is just too much of it and its too hard to detect. Though that is to change in the future. A new satillite is to be put in orbit between the earth and Venus ( looking back away from the sun). This will yeild a veiw with less conjestion from sunlight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtesZxRlqOE

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #19 - 02/19/13 at 03:19:08

Thanks, Perry  Wink it made for VERY interesting reading !

Pine, according to the article Perry earmarked,
"The meteorite that exploded over Chelyabinsk on February 15, 2013, was a pretty big thing - NASA estimated that it was about 15-17 meters in size and weighed 7-10 tonnes."

Long and heavy as a full size Greyhound Liner

which, IMHO, has enough cubic capacity to host enough Borgs to make me think...
RESISTANCE IS FUTILE !!!

(Especially with those curves...  Cheesy)

Wink

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #20 - 02/19/13 at 05:19:17

You are welcome M ... though, the size estimates for last Friday's Russian meteor keep increasing from the original estimate of 10 tons?

Wall Street Journal;
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323764804578312264130040432.htm...

From above linked article ...
Quote:
The meteor that crashed to earth in Russia was about 55 feet in diameter, weighed around 10,000 tons

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #21 - 02/20/13 at 07:50:31

Not quite that accurate...

According my to my own personal estimate (I hobbled out there in my PJs and measured the crater with my Playskool ruler)
the crater was 17,357 rulers across and 3667 rulers deep, +/- 50 rulers (it WAS a dark and chilly night)

Overall volume of the earth heaved is estimated to 433610607582,0775 cubic Playskool rulers, or 93659891237728,74 cu.in. ... 54201325947,75969 cu.ft. ... 54201325,94775969 cu.meters or 54 tons of dirt.

That calls for a possible impact energy of 1.1TB, where B (in Playskool metrics) is Baby's burp after his bottle.
(Sorry, had to stay consistent with my Playskool ruler metrics)

Given the size of the crater, the compactness of the dirt heaved, the estimated mass of the asteroid was... (you want it in milk bottles, cookies or burger metrics ?)

Grin Grin Grin

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

mpescatori   IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Reply #22 - 02/20/13 at 07:57:18

mpescatori wrote on 02/20/13 at 07:50:31:
Not quite that accurate...

Given the size of the crater, the compactness of the dirt heaved, the estimated mass of the asteroid was... (you want it in milk bottles, cookies or burger metrics ?)

Grin Grin Grin

Let's keep to the purpose of the forum and have the answer in "Savages" or in "S40's" if you will. Cool

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #23 - 02/23/13 at 08:03:44

Grin Grin Grin

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

mpescatori   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 16:39:49

General CategoryThe Cafe › Russian meteor explosion...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.