Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Troubles with recently bougth savage '87 (Read 133 times)
Eduardo Villegas
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

México, Sonora
Troubles with recently bougth savage '87
02/13/13 at 19:07:18

Hi, I'm Eduardo from México, my english is not so good, my apologized for that, I'll do my best.

Here's the thing, I ran out of battery yesterday, so I hadn't any other battery to start my savage, so there was this power supply  wich gives 20 A and 13.8 V, I decide to connect to the battery and after a few min. of charging, push the start button. My starter relay suddenly, after some tries of start, died. I alredy replace it and rewire the savage with a diagram founded here but, my battery doesn't keeps the charge. I started and go out for a ride, after 10-15 min. working, the motor just stoped then I tried to start it again and just haven't enough energy, the starter engine didn't make it. I want to check the rectifier, the magneto and the battery.

The battery is new I was told and the sparkplug just changed few days ago, any ideas partners?

thanks for your help! Smiley

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Re: Troubles with recently bougth savage '87
Reply #1 - 02/13/13 at 19:28:20

Ed,

I'd start by properly and fully recharging the battery.  Then, I'd burn the surface charge off of the battery and load test it.

If the battery tests good, time to go to the next step.....

Good luck!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 02/14/13 at 08:01:27

A 20 amp charger is like 10 times more than the recommended fast charge amperage for our little battery.   Likely your "new" battery is toast by now, do have it load tested before trying to use it for any other troubleshooting work on your bike.  

You can't trouble shoot without a known good fully charged battery to base the tests off of.

Test for the regulator/rectifier and the stator (generator coil) is to read the steady state voltage of the installed battery at rest after you have started and run the bike for a bit.   It should be between 12.6 and 13.4 volts at rest, engine off, generally speaking.

Then you start the engine and with the engine turning over it should rise up be 14.0 to 16.0 volts and that number should rise up towards 16.0  as you rev the engine up in neutral.   Anything over 16 is too much, as then the reg/rect is overcharging the system and needs to be replaced (it will boil out all your water in a short time).

My guess is you fried your regulator / rectifier when you toasted your battery with that killer car super charger.

You need to buy a motorcycle sized charger, no more than 2 amps output.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Eduardo Villegas
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

México, Sonora
Reply #3 - 02/14/13 at 08:52:53

Thank you guys, I will recharge the battery and chek out the regulator. Later my results will be posted.

IP Logged
perajani
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Finland
Reply #4 - 02/15/13 at 06:26:06

On my 87 I bought 2 years ago, there were now charging.

1. First check battery... If ok ->
2. Engine running, check what comes out of rectifier with voltage meter... IF OK ->
3. Check what goes into rectifier when running... 3wires... measure each pair (1-2, 1-3, 2-3) thay each should give you the same amount about 100V... IF NOT -> Stator is broken..

I had to change it.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 02/15/13 at 07:38:40

perajani wrote on 02/15/13 at 06:26:06:
On my 87 I bought 2 years ago, there were now charging.

1. First check battery... If ok ->
2. Engine running, check what comes out of rectifier with voltage meter... IF OK ->
3. Check what goes into rectifier when running... 3wires... measure each pair (1-2, 1-3, 2-3) thay each should give you the same amount about 100V... IF NOT -> Stator is broken..
I had to change it.

I just had to do the same thing on an 03' with 40k miles...
Good troubleshooting advice, Perajani... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
perajani
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Finland
Reply #6 - 02/15/13 at 14:42:47

BTW if you indicate the problem to stator, check your wire. They come out under left down cover and go very close by you belt. Due your bike is age of mine, it has already some maintenance history, if wire is not secured the belt contact will cut it. minimum takes a 1 cent piece of electric tape anf you might be there....

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 12:31:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Troubles with recently bougth savage '87

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.