Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
so much cam chain info, but i need opinions (Read 449 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: so much cam chain info, but i need opinions
Reply #15 - 02/18/13 at 20:21:27

Nick, we don't wear out our clutch plates.  We have 3 lengths of push rods to work through before we have to replace the plates, and so far nobody has ever progressed really to the point they had to replace their plates.

When you get done, please PM me for my address so you can donate your old fiber plates to my fiber plate collection -- I keep all the fiber plates that are replaced by folks like you (and your springs and whatever else clutchlike that you have left over when you are done fixing up your bike).

I am easily amused and it is a hobby.   I keep all the used but still good clutch parts generated here on the list.

Or you can keep them, in case of some vague disaster that happens out in the future.

But PLEASE DO order a full set of 3 push rods of all the different lengths.

Versy, you threatened to get some HSS dowel pins in the lengths we needed for pushrods -- did you ever do it?

Do we have the lengths needed?  

Research in Tech says 1.75", 1.79", and 1.83" inches are the stock rod lengths.  I can't verify this because they are only listed in the loose leaf Suzuki Factory Service Book that only a few of us have.

I have hand built a couple of rods for my bike that were longer than the stock range out of M2 round lathe bit stock, so I know some of us could use some rods that are longer than the stock range.

My fiddlin' about with rods over the years has taught me that hardened steel dowel pins are NOT heat resistant hard nor tough enough for the task (they get heat softened at the eccentric due to simple friction and rapidly wear away).  

High Speed Steel is a minimum durability and if you want full tough rods go up to M2 lathe tool bit steel.   The HSS and M2 can get up to dull red before beginning to lose hardness -- and that doesn't really ever happen as the friction is temporary and it gets quenched back to engine ambient by the oil flying around every where before it ever gets red hot.

Case hardened normal steel dowel pins CAN get friction heated up to a light purple draw, and being drawn multiple multiple multiple times over the months they eventually soften to the point rapid wear can take place inside the eccentric cup.  And the rod gets short and the chrome lever rises up accordingly.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #16 - 02/18/13 at 21:05:04

OF, Those are the correct lengths.

My SSM is from 12/95 so these numbers may have been superceded, but here are the part numbers in the book.

23111-24B00-445=44.5mm (1.75")
23111-24B00-455=45.5mm (1.79")
23111-24B00-465=46.5mm (1.83")

HTH. Cool

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #17 - 02/18/13 at 21:06:44

I haven't had it apart to check for wear yet.
full hard tool steel guide pins, just grind them to length.

WWW   IP Logged
nick3501
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 02/19/13 at 08:43:50

My clutch isn't getting replaced, at least not now. So you say much like the cam tensioner there is more use able life in the clutch by changing the pushrod? Are these rods stock parts or modified by someone?

Verslagen1, did you get my email? I sent it with a bad WiFi connection so not 100% sure you actually got it..

IP Logged
gone fishing

Reply #19 - 02/19/13 at 08:52:06

Sad

« Last Edit: 02/26/13 at 14:25:54 by gone fishing »  

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #20 - 02/19/13 at 09:09:33

nick3501 wrote on 02/19/13 at 08:43:50:
Verslagen1, did you get my email? I sent it with a bad WiFi connection so not 100% sure you actually got it..

think so, and think I made a reply, not sure, mind is going in too many directions.

WWW   IP Logged
nick3501
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 02/19/13 at 09:49:09

Sounds like me..lots on the go....I'll let you know if nothing shows up. Email can be slow like that unfortunately.

edit:  Nope havn't got anything yet, not in the spam folder either.  What would the total be for a verslavvy tensioner shipped to ontario, canada? I can send you the money once I know the e-mail for your paypal.

thanks!

« Last Edit: 02/19/13 at 11:01:16 by nick3501 »  
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #22 - 02/19/13 at 18:48:45

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 02/18/13 at 20:21:27:
....Research in Tech says 1.75", 1.79", and 1.83" inches are the stock rod lengths.  I can't verify this because they are only listed in the loose leaf Suzuki Factory Service Book that only a few of us have.....

From my Suzuki FSM, good up through the '09 models:

IHTH!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
nick3501
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 02/19/13 at 19:51:20

I'm usually pretty careful with these things, but I found a little piece on the shop floor from removing the clutch cover, its a small grey cylinder and i am not sure if it came off the bike or just random floor junk from a previous project. Anyone familiar with the part or where it might go?

also, regrding the clutch...i feel mine is at the end of its adjustment, it seems it starts to slip by just bearly pulling on the lever, im sure it will need attention this season.  I assume a longer push-rod is what I need and not a shorter one, correct?

IP Logged
nick3501
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 02/19/13 at 20:10:23

scratch that...I found the source of the part, it was a pin for the cover.  lesson learned, almost swept it up in the trash Shocked

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #25 - 02/20/13 at 10:00:39

I learned to sweep up before any new job. Anything that hits the floor is more easily found. Anything on the floor Must be from this job.

An old towel on the floor under the job grabs parts that fall so they dont run away. I do that especially on things Im unsure of "What kinda tiny bits & pieces are IN there".

I learned these things after years of Not preparing & suffering painful consequences.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
nick3501
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 04/09/13 at 20:51:49

thanks verslagen1, got it in today. Expect the original in the mail, sent it out a few days ago.

that 10mm bolt was seized pretty tight on mine, but the air ratchet took care of it. I also re-used the circlip, once I got it all together i thought "darn why didn't i replace a $1 clip" Grin oh well it looked in good shape change it next time.  is there a torque spec for that 10mm bolt?  Considering how tight it was to break free I figured I'd ask, I just tightened with a small wrench and called it a day, hopefully it can't come loose.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #27 - 04/09/13 at 21:29:28

I put it in with about 15-20 ftlbs, haven't had them come out yet.   Shocked

think they are originally put in with locktite.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 11:26:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › so much cam chain info, but i need opinions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.