Send Topic Print
need alittle help (Read 148 times)
mikey2004

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sarasota Florida
need alittle help
02/13/13 at 18:36:10

hey guys thought i would run something by you. i have a 1999 it has 19k on it. bike was bought for 500 dollars cause it had a massive oil leak. found and repaired leak. gotta love the head cap seal. but now when i take off it seems to hesitate alittle bit. if i get on the gas it will fly with out a problem. but if im taking it nice and slow it can become a bumpy ride. kinda jerks. can anyone offer a suggestion. could this be cause by the petcock going. i do have the factory petcock. looking to repalced with the rapter 660. thank you in advance.

IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Re: need alittle help
Reply #1 - 02/13/13 at 18:43:25

Make sure your idle speed is 1000 rpm or better. I had the same problem when I tried to get my scoot to that "loping" idle like a Hurley. A low idle speed also causes overheating and poor oil distribution.

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
mikey2004

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sarasota Florida
Reply #2 - 02/13/13 at 18:50:58

ZAR i have a rpm gauge on my volt meter. do you happen to know if i hook the clamp over the spark plug wire? i have never used it and it was given to me without any instruction. also i know alittle about repairing stuff like this but where do i turn up the idle?

IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #3 - 02/13/13 at 19:20:00

Mike without seeing your VOM it's hard to know,but I think you're on the right track. Try putting the clamp over the plug wire and see what you get. If the reading seems extremely high divide the reading by four(some ignition systems fire on every stroke,not just the power stroke).You can tell by the sound if you are within range(bike won't stay running much below 750rpm and redline is around 6500 rpm).

Adjusting idle is fairly simple,just locate the throttle cable connection at the carb and look for a screw on a linkage that moves as you twist the throttle. The point of the screw rests against a stop on the linkage when the throttle is at rest. Adjust the screw in(moving the plate away from the stop) to speed up the idle.Move the screw out to slow down the idle. Just remember the starting point and make small adjustments. It's best to have the scooter warmed up to operating temps before adjusting.

If I've missed something in the process others will be along to square you up!

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
mikey2004

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sarasota Florida
Reply #4 - 02/13/13 at 19:32:16

thank you ZAR i see a weekend project next to getting the rest of the oil off the bike..

IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #5 - 02/13/13 at 19:49:52

Mike I just had another thought.....some of the VOM's with a tach were meant to read rpm of an electric motor. Not sure if those will work on our scoots. Just sayin!

Good luck and let us know if it works!

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #6 - 02/14/13 at 04:54:08

I case your voltmeter won't work as a tach here's an easy way to see if your idle is high enough. With a warmed up engine just take a ride up the street in 1st gear with the throttle completly closed. If the bike runs along at 8- 10 mph with the clutch released and no throttle you're in the ballpark.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 02/14/13 at 05:02:17

My bike used to have a bit of a hesitation just off iidle, and I rode a used bike before I bought mine that rode the same.  After I rejetted the carb and did the spacer mod the bike runs great.  My bike was just too lean at the idle to 1/4 throttle settings and the engine did not run smoothly.  I ended up with a 150 main, 50 pilot and 2 washers on the needle (start with 3 first).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
mikey2004

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sarasota Florida
Reply #8 - 02/22/13 at 13:09:21

hoping its not the washer mod i have to do. cause honestly i dont want to do it. kinda worried about messing it up. but i did buy a new gasket for my clutch. ( i already planned on replacing the clutch, i dont think it have ever been done and i have a loud thunk when i drop it into first.  i also got the Raptor 660 im installing this weekend. could also be the fact that my filters are coated in oil i got alot of work to clean up after that bad oil leak i had. i thought i got it all but i forgot about the filters. sucks but i will get this bike running right. come to find out the a shop near me has a 2012 s40 with 1 mile on it for 5000 but you know what i love my 99 savage. its a great bike. thanks for the advice.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 19:44:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › need alittle help

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.